Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What would be epic...  (Read 833 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
What would be epic...
« on: January 12, 2008, 10:57:00 pm »

A mod that starts you with like 50 dwarves with legendary skill in all the major stuff, enabling you to make dungeons for adventure characters.  Think about it.  The game's engine would allow for incredibly complex puzzles and with cages/pressure plates, you could even set up monster encounters, without even using a separate editor program.  This idea is so great in fact, I don't even think I'm the first to think of it.  Does anyone know if this is already around?

I got the idea while watching National Treasure(awful movie, dont' watch it) in the temple with the water, I realized you could make that on DF, and started planning out how it would be done.  As a bonus question, why were there Olmecs in the Dakotas?  They clearly said it was Olmec, but so far away, and the only Olmec design I noticed was the baby statue.  Stupid movie...

[ January 12, 2008: Message edited by: Muffles ]

Shoes...

MyBeardIsOnFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What would be epic...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 11:03:00 pm »

Anything you leave in a fort you abandon will get thrown about randomly; creatures will get freed from their cages, chains and their personal secluded magma-surrounded chambers.

In other words, things don't work that way... yet. Then again, will they ever?

iantspider stands before you!
Giantspider...killed Yourlast Adventurer
Giantspider...killed Yo Momma

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 11:04:00 pm »

Darn...
Shoes...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 11:20:00 pm »

You can leave traps, levers, pressure plates, and pretty much any other building built and they will stay in place.  Also its not official but on this page you can download the dwarf companion, adjuststart, reveal, and regional prospector utilities which would allow you do pretty much whatever you need to get this going. Also if you reveal a hidden magma feature that wasn't revealed from the start use the enable magma building patch to be able to build magma smelters.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 02:48:00 am »

Hey! That's my signature.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 03:42:00 am »

Items in bins tend to stay in bins, and bins on stockpiles tend to remain where they were. They don't Always do that, but they tend to.

However, I found that traps don't function after you abandon, even if you set Adv.mode traps to ON in the init. Maybe it'll work if you set it to ON, then create a fort with traps and abandon it (i.e. some info is written into the fort itself in regards to the setting), but otherwise only mechanical contraptions remain functioning.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 02:16:00 pm »

Oh snap!!!  I found it on a Spore forum, and thought it was epic, I knew it'd come back to haunt me though.
Shoes...

Fenrir

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 02:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>However, I found that traps don't function after you abandon, even if you set Adv.mode traps to ON in the init. Maybe it'll work if you set it to ON, then create a fort with traps and abandon it (i.e. some info is written into the fort itself in regards to the setting), but otherwise only mechanical contraptions remain functioning.</STRONG>

That's not a big deal, weapons/cage traps are unimaginative and lame in adventure mode anyway.

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 04:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Muffles:
<STRONG>Oh snap!!!  I found it on a Spore forum, and thought it was epic, I knew it'd come back to haunt me though.</STRONG>

It might've actually been me on some Spore forum, too. I've used this sig in several forums. Or it might've not been me, it's a Jack Handey quote, so no problem. So it's not really mine in that sense at all.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

ChaosSonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

I actually started making a fortress with some traps and stuff in it, but when I tried testing it on play now, the human starts in a different spot.

By traps, of course, I mean things like doors closing, locking you in a room forever.

[ January 14, 2008: Message edited by: ChaosSonic ]