Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Meso-America Mod  (Read 1746 times)

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Meso-America Mod
« on: February 07, 2008, 05:59:00 pm »

I am currently working on a mod of mesoamerica about the time the spanish showed up as a school project. I will be regularly asking questions here, anything from "where on earth could I find this out?" to "how do I do such and such?"

If you guys would be so kind as to answer, I would be so VERY pleased.    :D

[ February 07, 2008: Message edited by: Reign on your Parade ]

WHAT I'M ACTUALLY DOING:
including flora and fauna for the region
(Hopefully) simulating the specific geology of the area
Replacing Humans with the aztec, dwarves with the inca, and elves with the mayans.
Replacing goblins and kobolds with the spanish

[ February 07, 2008: Message edited by: Reign on your Parade ]

ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Meso-America Mod
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 07:32:00 pm »

Hm, I took a history class a few semesters ago and I still have the book.  I might be able to help.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 08:33:00 pm »

Actually, what I'd REALLY like to know is the general geological make-up of that area...

I'll put some more information about what I'm doing up.

ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 10:07:00 pm »

Nobody expects the spanish inquisition, by the way.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 01:18:00 am »

That's because their chief weapon is fear and surprise.  Their two main weapons are fear, surprise, and...

On topic, are you talking about the mineral composition or the basic shape of Central America?  If it's the latter, that ain't gonna help you much since you can't really do a whole lot with the worldgenerator right now.

Here's some simple advice:  Add the [CAN_STONE] tag to spears, axes, picks (if you want anyone besides the Incas to mine), and arrows.  Or anything else you might want made out of obsidian (note: also requires a piece of wood).

I don't think it's currently possible to make cloth armor, but you can always give it a shot.  Clothing and armor are in the same spot in the raws, so you can just find the tag that allows something to be made out of cloth (I think it's [SOFT] or something) and slap it on some armor type.

You might also want to add "Atlatl"s.  Spear-slings.  Just create and "atl" weapon, make it use crossbow skill (unless you want a non-playable race to have it, then you can put whatever you want.  It's just that crossbow is the only one you can select for your military), and create a new ammo type called an "Atl dart".  These things are essentially javelins with a launcher, so they'll do a hefty amount of damage.

Oh, you can also add the [WOOD] tag to some weapons so you can make it out of wood.  Spears and maces seem reasonable enough.

Native gold nuggets provide the same value modifier as smelted gold bars.  A craft made out of gold stone is worth the same as a craft made out of gold metal, however gold stone can potentially be snapped up for other meaningless uses and can only be used if it's turned on in the economic stones list.

You might want to consider adding "Maize" as a crop type, edible raw and brewable into Maize beer.  I'd also say add cacao/cocoa, but there's no real way of doing that except for making it booze.  Schnapps, anyone?

Add some Quetzal bird-vermin while you're at it, and make them rather high-value pets (not that you'll ever catch one, mind you...).  There's also some type of wild jungle-boar that's a good food source, but I can't really remember the name offhand (peccaryn?).  Don't forget to add some fantasy critters from their mythology.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 03:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>There's also some type of wild jungle-boar that's a good food source, but I can't really remember the name offhand (peccaryn?).</STRONG>

peccary, and its not actualy a boar, peccaries are a separate family from pigs

# Suborder Suina
   * Family Hippopotamidae: hippos
   * Family Suidae: pigs
   * Family Tayassuidae: peccaries

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 03:29:00 am »

Hippos are related to pigs?  I never would have guessed...   But then again, there are some other animal relations that don't seem to make a whole lot of sense at first glance.

But yeah, Peccary.  That's it.

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »

No, I wasn't. I wanted "this mineral is generally found in this type of environment... this jem occurs in this type of rock" and that sort of stuff. The stuff that IS mod-able.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 07:19:00 pm »

I think Toady did a good enough job on spreading the minerals realistically already. If you seek something at least marginally better, look at my minerals mod.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 07:20:00 pm »

I meant for that specific area. Any big differances I should note?

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 09:30:00 pm »

rarity of iron and commonness of gold

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 11:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>There's also some type of wild jungle-boar that's a good food source, but I can't really remember the name offhand</STRONG>

Tapir.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=tapir&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

[ February 09, 2008: Message edited by: Solara ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 12:50:00 am »

No no, not a tapir, although those would be nice as well (but aren't they farther south?).  I was looking for the Peccary.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 02:21:00 am »

Baird’s Tapirs live in central america, while 2 species live in south america and 1 in southeast asia