Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: [38c] Martial arts mod and extensions v1.70. Hindentanic  (Read 27607 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: [38c] Martial arts mod and extensions v1.70. Hindentanic
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2008, 07:24:00 am »

Bump with content. Watch out for bugs.

Also, worldgen seems to crash a lot less, though it is a bit slower than vanilla. I balanced out the new races by reducing the original ones somewhat.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2008, 05:24:00 am »

Alright, continuing along.

I can hardly think of any more ideas to add here, unless I start fusing mods. I will probably start with the big animal expansions (the zoo mod, for instance), then filter through the available toy and instrument additions, get some more weaponry and armor in the game...  and something else, I dunno.

I am distressed at the distinct lack of skeletons, by the way. I suppose I could actually make some ancient skeleton races...  complete with skeletal animals...  maybe gargoyles...

Anyway. What's happened to Toady? It's Wednesday already, and there hasn't been a devlog since that Saturday "morning"...

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2008, 10:54:00 am »

Quick question before I get back to mucking around;

Have you tried combining necks and throats?  Also, have you tried adding the [JOINT] tag to necks?

Theoretically (haven't tested it myself, that's kinda what I'm setting off to do), you should then be able to lock the neck after grabbing on to someone's head, and then snap it.  If you can find an elegant way of sticking throats in there as well, the [THROAT] tag might cause the creature to suffocate once the neck has been snapped.  

I'm going to test neck-joint snapping, but I've yet to figure out a clean way of getting necks and throats together.

And if you've already implemented or worked with these, don't mind me.  I'm just barreling through modding recklessly, hoping I pick somthing up along the way.

EDIT:  Also, what tag do you use on shard golems and the like that makes one bodypart kill'em?  If it's one of the common body tags (Head, upper body, lower body), I'm in for a runaround, as I'm trying to make vampires that die when you destroy their heart.  I first added the [HEAD] tag, and that got me hearts with ears, eyes, mouths, and throats.  Needless to say, it's a bit creepy.  I do't really want to make lots of new bodyparts to accomodate my desires, but I'll do it if I have to.

[ February 20, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

EDIT2:  Works like a charm.  Grab head -> Lock neck -> Break neck -> Dance circles around crumpled form.  I found out that creature will suffocate when a nervous bodypart is snapped.  Didn't know that.  Well, learn something new every day.

The problem with neck-snapping is that it's pretty powerful...  Give as much effort as it takes to cripple a wrist and you've got yourself one useless and asphyxiated critter.  Also, the "sprained" and "crippled" messages don't really seem that well suited...

[ February 20, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »

Yeah, I have already made necks (and spines, too) lock-able and break-able by wrestling. The "breaking a neck as easy a breaking a wrist" doesn't bother me much. You can, and a lot easier at that, grab someone by the head and gouge the eyes out, rendering the victim about just as helpless. And if you think it's easy, try doing it with a small wrestling skill. Adventurers meet many dangers now, and this is hardly too much an edge. It can be used against you, as well.

If you want your vampires to die when the heart is stabbed, you'll need something clever, because there's no way to destroy the heart outright, you can only damage it into the red. You can add "embedded" and, say, "hear" to it, which will result in an awkward heart-pinching scenario if the creature's upper body is grabbed with a hand, but will also produce a message "heart has been ripped off" when a critical hit occurs, destroying the heart completely and allowing an insta-death through, say, [LOWERBODY].

If you want it that much, you can go ahead and make a separate complete body for your creature. Not completely complete, but encompassing the parts that you need changed. In your case, it will be a combination of upper body, lower body, heart, organs, and guts - you will need to point the organs and guts to connect to the lowerbody part specificaly ([CON:LB]) instead of the usual "general connect to lowerbody".

The lowerbody tag on the heart will yield an insta-death on the heart's destruction, as well as a possible nausea on its damage, which is somewhat fitting. You can always go with [HEAD] though. Just remember, the usual parts use "general connect to part type", so you'll need a custom body with all such parts directly connected.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »

Embedded could work... Also why can't the vampiric heart be damaged by hitting the chest with a hammer? The only problem remains wrestling... And also I think you can slash the embedded organ let's say with a sword when hitting the upper body.

[ February 20, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2008, 02:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Deon:
<STRONG>Also if you make the heart embedded, it can be grabbed. Weird =).</STRONG>

We can almost-but-not-quite implement the bad ass "rip heart out with bare hands" maneuver?  Glee!!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2008, 02:29:00 pm »

You commented the post I've just edited. It's wrong, you can't grab embedded. I checked it, you can grab by the throat because it has "THROAT" tag, not "EMBEDDED".

Also, Sean Mirrsen, you can upload the file to the http://dffd.wimbli.com/,  I think your mod should be there.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2008, 05:46:00 pm »

I tried getting there, but my browser fell asleep trying. I'll try again sometime.

[EMBEDDED] means the part can be gouged out by a hand when it grabs the parent part. [THROAT] has several effects, like suffocation and being able to grab it exclusively.

[ February 20, 2008: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2008, 02:45:00 am »

and now for the question i'm sure you've answered before but i can't find the answer.. can i load both your mods at the same time with out the game imploding?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2008, 03:36:00 am »

If they change different files, it's ok I guess.
If not, you need to copy content from 1 file to another (you should know what you are doing while doing this  :)).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2008, 03:43:00 am »

yes of course. sorry for my stupidity. and no it doesn't seem any file over writes another so both should work fine together i hope? ah well guess i'll find out when the new mineral mod is released ^.^ love your mods so far.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2008, 08:06:00 am »

Yes, the two mods function independently. They change different things, though I am trying to make them augment each other.

Beacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Holy Dwarf-Beacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2008, 01:05:00 pm »

This is my first time using mods... How do I change my race in Fortress mode? I don't want to be Centaurs.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2008, 01:16:00 pm »

Keep tapping the TAB key until you see a longish list on the rightmost screen. Once there, + and - change the civilisation you're playing. You can guess what race is which by the name, and by the symbols used to represent the civ's location on the center map. "#" are humans. The weird 'i' letters are elves or kentauri. The stool symbol are either goblins or dark elves.

Beacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Holy Dwarf-Beacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2008, 01:25:00 pm »

I see! That's on the World Select screen right? I never knew what that screen was for  :D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21