Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: [38c] Martial arts mod and extensions v1.70. Hindentanic  (Read 27597 times)

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
Re: [38c] Martial arts mod and extensions v1.70. Hindentanic
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 05:12:00 pm »

That was an awesome dragon fight. I'm looking forward ot using this mod in my adventures.

quote:
You lash The elf Drunk in the upper body with your tail!
It is broken!
The elf Drunk's liver has been broken!

He was dead right there, all the rest of the fight was just beating a moving corpse.   :p

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

There were four drunks in the tavern. I tore one's upper body to pieces with the tail, shredded another with claws, the one you mention was subsequently stabbed through the chest with the tail, and the Mayor and another drunk were decapitated, again with the tail. The Black Dragon turned out to be more of a Xenomorph in disguise.  :) The elf that appeared after I tried to travel was my key to the tavern door (dragons in Adv.mode can't open doors), and was also decapitated with my tail. I'll try to add more conventional attacks with claws and bites to balance it out a bit.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 07:14:00 am »

Alright, I'm making some finishing touches to the whole thing. The giant toads and frog demons had to do without a lashing tongue, because it crashes the game for some reason (an anti-mockery safety system by Toady?  :p) the elves got one more magical attack and all the main races had some more spice added to the messages. Antmen finally got joints, a grand total of 4 shoulders, elbows, and wrists for you to break (and for them to attack you with). Titans are overkill. Ironmen are very dangerous. GCS are only a bit more dangerous, or even less dangerous, because their foot-bashing attack does not poison. Black dragons...  you don't want to go near one. (see above post) Common dragons are less of a danger, but still retain the deadly arsenal of attacks. Hydras can also bash you with the heads, the tail, and claw you too. I fixed most of Toady's gibbons (and other primates, for that matter), because I wouldn't dare call them "quadruped", and because I changed that definition to use "front/rear" body instead of "upper/lower". I was surprised to see that most wild cats (even giant tigers!!!) could only bite, and fixed that right away.
Unfortunately, many things are still either impossible, or plain don't sound right, like pounching wolves, or dragons/titans crushing you under their feet.

By the way, I found two bugs in the system - the BYTYPE definition bugs out when either FLIER or DIGIT (both valid type tags) is used, and the message instead goes like "You claw the dwarf child in the upper body with your head", substituting whatever part there was supposed to be with the head. I got around the FLIER one by just separating wings (harpies, among other things, can attack with wings) into tokens, but with fingers it's going to be less fun. I guess I'll narrow it down to whatever fingers are actually suited to that.

Anyways, if you have any constructive comments on what else I could do before I finish - please, post away!

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 05:05:00 pm »

Alright, since no comments have appeared so far, here's the currently complete version of the mod.

Rapidshare link.

Features:

- Improved, revised, added, modified, and otherwise altered melee/unarmed attacks for most of the sentient creatures that walk the worlds of DF.
- Altered the body design of some creatures, most notably primates changed from quadruped to humanoid.
- Introduced some of the more spectacular creatures, mostly as HFS. If you see a black "D" or a skyblue "M" - RUN!!!  ;)

Additional features (bundled files):

- Made elves and dwarves also create cities in the plains, so as to access the shops. Also makes elf and dwarf undead inhabit ruins.
- Made goblins, kobolds, ratmen, and batmen available as Play Now! adventurers.
- Added some race-specific weaponry like the dwarven waraxe, the greatsword, the elven longblade, and some others.

To install only the main features, do not copy the files "entity_default.txt" and "item_addweapon.txt" files from the archive.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 05:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>Alright, since no comments have appeared so far, here's the currently complete version of the mod.

Rapidshare link.

Features:

- Improved, revised, added, modified, and otherwise altered melee/unarmed attacks for most of the sentient creatures that walk the worlds of DF.
- Altered the body design of some creatures, most notably primates changed from quadruped to humanoid.
- Introduced some of the more spectacular creatures, mostly as HFS. If you see a black "D" or a skyblue "M" - RUN!!!   ;)

Additional features (bundled files):

- Made elves and dwarves also create cities in the plains, so as to access the shops. Also makes elf and dwarf undead inhabit ruins.
- Made goblins, kobolds, ratmen, and batmen available as Play Now! adventurers.
- Added some race-specific weaponry like the dwarven waraxe, the greatsword, the elven longblade, and some others.

To install only the main features, do not copy the files "entity_default.txt" and "item_addweapon.txt" files from the archive.</STRONG>

You made some mistakes with the magic elven attacks. Otherwise, keep it up, add more bloat and shit   :p

Seriously this is an awesome mod.

Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

ChaosSonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 06:00:00 pm »

Do you use the attack button to do your moves, or can you choose you special moves from a list?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 06:17:00 pm »

ah... I love this mod.

EDIT:Yee Gods, what did you do to the kobolds?  This is my 2nd batman adventurer to be ripped to shreds by one of their children.

[ January 14, 2008: Message edited by: Karlito ]

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 11:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Person:
<STRONG>You made some mistakes with the magic elven attacks.</STRONG>

Can you clarify? I don't see any. If you mean how they produce different messages based on whether you or someone else does them, that is intended.

quote:
Originally posted by Karlito:
<STRONG>Yee Gods, what did you do to the kobolds?  This is my 2nd batman adventurer to be ripped to shreds by one of their children.</STRONG>

Some races' special attacks really up their threat rating. Kobolds didn't receive that much, but they do now use their bite as a primary weapon, as you would expect a semi-canine dog-headed individual to do.

[ January 14, 2008: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 05:36:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Karlito:
<STRONG>Yee Gods, what did you do to the kobolds?  This is my 2nd batman adventurer to be ripped to shreds by one of their children.</STRONG>

You ask what we gods did to kobolds? well, to know that read A Kobold's Quest. [/SPAM]

It's just the mod being realistic; kobolds are always awesome!  :p

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 09:19:00 am »

Nay I think it has something to do with the fact that batmen suck.  I've modded lion in as playable.  Its ridiculously fun.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 09:50:00 am »

Lions are only moderately powerful. I did give them a speed boost to reflect their feline agility, but the rest of their attacks aren't altogether impressive, compared to, say, dragons.  :) Cheetahs are TWICE as fast as humans, which is still an insult to cheetahs, but with the game basing attack speed on movement speed, cheetahs would rip you to shreds before you could raise a shield.

The main reason I did batmen and ratmen civs was not to make them playable - if you happen to find a specific kind of cave, you will understand. Well, actually, you can understand from the civ definition itself, but that's not quite as fun. I wanted to do an Antman civ, but I'd need a proper way to ensure that the civ always has a Queen at its head, and there's no way to do it for now.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2008, 12:09:00 pm »

Playing as a dragon is just overkill.  I like a challenge.  Anyway compared to batmen, lions are gods.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 02:31:00 pm »

Well, anyone have any interesting comments? Spectacular logs to share, addition suggestions, requests, etc?

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2008, 03:46:00 pm »

Did you add some new weapon attacks too?
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »

Unfortunately, the game does not allow that. Once you equip anything, even a rock, as a weapon, the game automatically assumes you are armed, and switches over to the default attack for the weapon. Martial arts are only used while unarmed.

Alright, I'm planning another mod update. I've added stone golems and stone warped golems (oh how I miss that [ADJECTIVE:] tag from weapon defs!..) that are basically designed to be "dwarven minions", but as the magic that was used to control them is lost, they wander around without purpose. They are dwarf-sized. The warped golems have large blades on their hands, and are slightly less dangerous, because they are less powerful. They have the stone racegloss, so they are made of different materials. Pray not to encounter a raw adamantine one.
Most of the work on this mod will be done as part of the Community Expansion Pack, that will introduce heaps of new creatures.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21