Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wiles' mod - Updated, Mar 11, 08  (Read 2693 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wiles' mod - Updated, Mar 11, 08
« on: December 23, 2007, 03:28:00 pm »

Updated for 27_176_38c, may or may not be compatible with future versions of DF.

In the latest release of my mod I have added more creatures and changed the line-up of playable races a little bit.

Here's a bit of backstory;

The Age Of Myth:

In the early years of human civilization one of the human kings was visited by a divine being. She told him that a darkness was coming. He was instructed to take his people far away from the rest of humanity. She told him that she would care for his people and protect them from the oncoming darkness. The human king, Ulf, took his people far past the edge of the civilized world. They made their homes deep in a frozen forest. There they stayed preparing, training and waiting for the dark times to come.

Armies of demons spilled out from the deep places of the world, spreading death and destruction wherever they went. The humans, centaur, elves, dwarves and gnomes rallied together to fight off the hordes of demons. The king Ulf had passed away, but his children had been blessed with long life and great courage, as had the rest of the children borne to Ulf's followers. The sons of Ulf, Skev and Rak marched their shining armies from deep in the frozen forests. The peoples of the world would perhaps have fallen to the demonic horde had the sons of Ulf not joined the war. The demons were pushed back into the underworld, where they were sealed in with adamantine.

The Age of Legend:

It soon became apparent that not all of the demons had been sealed in their underworld prison. The remaining demons hid and twisted the goblins to their whim. Soon massive goblin armies marched against the peoples of the world. The sons of Ulf, who had faced the demonic hordes were unafraid. Rak led his army deep into goblin territory, intent on stopping the war at it's source. While his men fought the goblins he and three of his best warriors snuck into the fortress to kill the goblin's demon master. They found the demon in a chamber deep in the fortress. They quickly dispatched his goblin guards to face him. The demon struck down Rak's warrior companions, but spared him. He twisted and tortured Rak until he was no longer the man he once was. Rak emerged from the fortress and marched his army back to his people's capital. Rak had managed to win the hearts and minds of many of his followers, and he led his army against his brother Skev. The resulting civil war split the kingdom. The followers of Skev were pushed back, deep into the frozen forests from where they had come. Rak then turned his eyes on the rest of the world.

Rak's armies met with resistance, but consistantly won battles against the humans, centaur, elves, dwarves, and gnomes. The elves, knowing that if they did nothing their forests would burn. They did something they wished they did not have to do. Deep in the elven forests lived a race of primitive beastmen, known as the Urbog. The Urbog lived in harmony with nature and did not care for the goings on outside their forests. The elves, with the help of the humans trained the Urbogs in the ways of war. Soon large armies Urbog warriors led the vanguard against the armies of Rak. The physical strength and ferocity of the Urbog warriors turned the tide in the war against Rak's armies. Rak's armies were broken, and he fled with his people into the deserts.

The Golden Age:

The followers of Skev have rebuilt their kingdom and have named their kingdom Skevyr, in memory of their former king. The followers of Rak are barely human in appearence, they have taken to ritual scarification and body mutilation. They are now known as the Rakvyr, in honor of their former leader. The Urbog, far less in number than they were before the war returned to their former forest homes, no longer the innocent primitives they once were.

The world has been in relative peace since the end of the Rakvyren war. The surface demons, however, have not been idle in this time of peace. Angered at the failure of their previous thralls, the demons decided to make their own race. They twisted and interbred creatures with their dark magic until they had the desired result. Deep in the mountains, the demonspawn are building fortresses. The goblins are growing in number, and the Rakvyren armies are stirring once again.

Will you sit by idly, and let the world fall into darkness once again?

Will you set out on your own, to face off against these demons?

Will you create fortresses to defend against the armies of darkness?

The fate of the world is in your hands!

-----------------------------------------

New in this version!

Vermin- Bandicoots, red eared sliders (turtles), painted turtles, map turtles, musk turtles, sun conures, green turaco, white-bellied caique, kestrel, raven, bearded lizard, cuttlefish, catfish

Domestic animals - sheep, goat, skevyren mastiff

Wildlife- wombat, Dhole, wildehond, maned wolf, fennec fox, raccoon dog, bush dog, red wolf, kit fox, aardwolf, squid, octopi, manatee, dugong, Echidna, Tamandua, gerenuk, saiga antelope, spotted cuscus, baribusa, guanaco, Vicuņas, onager

Mythical- nightmare (evil horse), Wendigo, bloodfiend (chupacabra), leucrotta, seraph (worshiped by the skevyr)

Races- Skevyr, Rakvyr, Urbog. Brownies were removed

Past additions

Domestic creatures- Spider(trainable), boar(trainable), golden eagle(trainable), chicken, pig, llama, alpaca, yak, aurochs

Vermin- Cavy, skunk, mink, polecat, weasel, marten, pika, mole, mouse, vole, gerbil, lemming, house hippo, prairie dog, gopher, chinchilla, shrimp, newt, salamander, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, chain pickerel, walleye, musky, nautilus, garter snake, rattle snake, sugar glider, mongoose, meerkat, sea gull, sandpiper, shrew, elephant shrew, hamster

Wild Animals- Saber-tooth cat, dire wolf, mammoth, rhino, wooly rhino, rabbit, hare, snowshoe hare, muskrat, beaver, otter, capybara, wolverine, badger, platypus, winter fox, mallard duck, wood duck, runner duck, comb duck, tufted duck, goose, loon, swan, heron, pelican, stork, turkey, peacock, grouse, partridge, pheasant, toucan, snowy owl, great horned owl, spectacled owl, puffin, rockhopper penguin, blackfooted penguin, emperor penguin, emu, ostrich, coyote, bobcat, lynx, moose, caribou, bison, water buffalo, zebra, okapi, giraffe, kangaroo, wallaby, panda, sun bear, jackal, hyena, king cobra, anaconda, bush baby, red panda, opossum, pademelon, 2 toed sloth, 3 toed sloth, armadillo, giant armadillo, pangolin, giant pangolin, giant tortoise, redfooted tortoise, desert tortoise, green sea turtle, leatherback seaturtle, snapping turtle, alligator snapping turtle, osprey, blackwinged kite, bald eagle, haring ibon, harpy eagle, marsh harrier, crested goshawk, black hawk, gyrfalcon, peregrine falcon, condor, monk vulture, turkey vulture, hooded vulture, yellow crested cockatoo, red-tailed black cockatoo, hyacinth macaw, military macaw, scarlet macaw, imperial parrot, grey parrot, ocelot, clouded leopard, snow leopard, caracal, serval, jungle cat, sand cat, giant anteater, aardvark, giant forest hog, peccary, tapir, lesser mousedeer, pronghorn, pudu, musk deer, muntjac, impala, hartebeest, brindled gnu, topi, gazzelle, klipspringer, steenbok, gaur, banteng, kouprey, eland, nyala, lesser kudu, greater kudu, ibex, bighorn sheep, duiker, addax, oryx, rhebok

Megabeasts- Thunderbird, Jabberwock, Great Old One, Behemoth, Frost Giant, Tarasque

Semi-megabeasts- Gorgon, Wyrm, Ifritt

Mythical creatures- Phoenix, white stag, pegasus, white buffalo, sphinx, oread, siren, dryad, werebear, chimera, barghest, bandersnatch, manticore, bunyip, hippocamp, jackalope, drake, griffin, hippogriff, furry trout, wyvern, basilisk, gnoll, demonic monkey

Monstrous creatures- Giant mantis, giant desert lizard, monstrous snapping turtle, monstrous anaconda

Automatons- Ancient machines of unknown origins that are capable of basic thought. They can be found in the deep places of the world. There is rumor of an even larger automaton that has been known to wreak havoc upon unsuspecting fortresses.

Races- Centaur, Gnome, Demonspawn, Grullocks

plants- Hemp, barley, sugar beet, sugar cane, fiddlehead, cave fern, liquorice, wormwood, squaw root, winter grape, bee hives, honeypot ant

Materials-

Godsblood- given it's name due to it's appearence, godsblood is a highly sought after ore for making weapons. It can further be refined into bloodsteel (refinement needs flux and green glass).

Mithril- A beautiful, and surprisingly durable metal. It is too light to be used in weapons, but it is excelent for armour.

Layered spidersilk- Finely spun spidersilk that is layered and suitable to be used in armour making.

Installing the mod.

Install a fresh copy of dwarf fortress and extract the .txt files and place them in your raw/objects folder. There may be conflicts if you use other mods alongside this one.

Please report any bugs, typos, and any feedback you'd like to share. I'd love to hear your stories as well!

Download links

You can either download the entire mod HERE

Or you can download it in pieces if you wish to use just some parts of the mod.

Creatures- Includes all wildlife, monsters and megabeasts.

Fortress- Includes all new plants, materials, items, weapons and races

Automatons- Adds some automaton creatures to caves, and one automaton megabeast.

What to expect in future versions?

I will be adding more materials, plants, creatures. I'll also be fleshing out entities more and fixing bugs I come across.

I'd like to thank everyone who has helped me out on the modding forums, everyone who has given feedback and of course Toady one for making such a great game!

[ March 11, 2008: Message edited by: Wiles ]

Karzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wiles' mod - Updated, Mar 11, 08
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 04:21:00 pm »

Nice mod, I like some of the new creatures.  Now I just have to decide if I want to use my drakes I posted or yours.  I guess both would be cool too.  Can never have enough creatures.  Good work.
Life is short, live it.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 11:21:00 pm »

Good work! Ive been waiting for some of these to be added.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 09:53:00 am »

updated and added more - see first post.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 10:09:00 pm »

updated for the new version.

Beacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Holy Dwarf-Beacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 06:34:00 pm »

When using these mods, I crash as soon as I hit "e" when selecting a human or goblin civilisation.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 07:52:00 am »

Hey, just wanted to let you know I'm enjoying this mod immensely so far. But a quick question:

1. Exactly what are the stats of layered spidersilk relative to other materials? And it takes 10 silk to make one layered spidersilk?

I love fighting zombie wyverns! Even drew a picture. You can see it in the link in my sig if you are interested.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 09:01:00 am »

The layered spidersilk is rated at 175. To compare, steel is 133 and adamantine is 500. I wanted to make it so it wasn't too overpowered. Since traders come with so much spidersilk I thought 10 layers to make the armour was reasonable.

I'm glad you're enjoying the mod. Thanks for posting the picture it's great!   :)
If you notice any bugs/typos or have any suggestions I would be grateful to hear them.

[ February 23, 2008: Message edited by: Wiles ]

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 09:04:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Beacon:
<STRONG>When using these mods, I crash as soon as I hit "e" when selecting a human or goblin civilisation.</STRONG>

I'm not sure what is happening.

Do you mean you are trying to play as humans or goblins? I haven't changed the game to be able to play either of those races, perhaps my mod is conflicting with one you already have installed?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 09:19:00 am »

There should be a conflict with adventure_tier be the same for two or more civs.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 09:40:00 am »

I wasn't sure what tier did when I added it. I'm going to be changing it next time around. I only tested one race in adv mode this version, so I'm not sure if it caused any problems for adventure mode.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 10:40:00 am »

Can I just state, once and for all?

THERE IS NO CONFLICT WITHIN THE SAME ADVENTURE TIER.
My MA mod is proof, all evil races are on the fourth tier and perfectly playable.

The humans are not playable outright, but changing them to be playable is a three-second task, and if something causes them to crash, it means there is some problem with some part of the mod.

So far I could only gather that it must have something to do with the new creatures/plants you added, specifically some of the intrinsic parts of the creatures (bones, skins, etc.) or some parameter of the plants like booze.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 01:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wiles:
<STRONG>The layered spidersilk is rated at 175. To compare, steel is 133 and adamantine is 500. I wanted to make it so it wasn't too overpowered. Since traders come with so much spidersilk I thought 10 layers to make the armour was reasonable.</STRONG>

Really, a defense factor of 133 and low density are sufficient to make layered spidersilk preferable to steel.  175 is a bit excessive, assuming spidersilk isn't a [WAFER] metal.  When 10 webs produce one measly wafer, it becomes a PITA to manufacture.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 02:25:00 pm »

Thanks, Sean. Good to know tiers don't cause conflicts.

It could very well be something with my mod that is causing the crashes, but I wouldn't know what's doing it. Could be the area that was embarked on had a bugged creature.     :confused:
I haven't noticed any crashes in testing, yet. If anyone else who plays experiences one I'd be glad if you could share your errorlog.

ED: I didn't think 175 was too much, but I don't really know the math behind how the block rating works. In testing spidersilk clad warriors died alongside the ones in steel. Making layered spidersilk from 10 cloths is a pain, but that was by design. Spidersilk is more available in this mod than in vanilla DF. I didn't want entire militaries running around in it from the get go. I think if I reduced the amount needed people wouldn't bother with steel armour.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 02:41:00 pm »

Try my minerals mod. I'm not sure about exact balance, but the most powerful "common" metal, mirrorsteel, is only about 180% damage and block. The far-less-common "Ultimate silvermetal"(translated name) is around 250%.

I'll have to conduct some serious testing with it though.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: [1] 2