Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fire protection  (Read 901 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fire protection
« on: January 09, 2008, 08:28:00 am »

While looking through the raws I saw that imps have a tag for leather

[LEATHER_HEATDAM_POINT:13000]
[LEATHER_IGNITE_POINT:13500]

I was wondering, if a dwarf had himself a full suit of leather comparable to the imp's skin would they be protected from fire? Or would they be crispy critters inside their undamaged armour?

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Fire protection
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 05:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wiles:
<STRONG>While looking through the raws I saw that imps have a tag for leather

[LEATHER_HEATDAM_POINT:13000]
[LEATHER_IGNITE_POINT:13500]

I was wondering, if a dwarf had himself a full suit of leather comparable to the imp's skin would they be protected from fire? Or would they be crispy critters inside their undamaged armour?</STRONG>

Pretty sure it'd be the latter. After all, there's no option yet to create an airtight suit of armor out of a given material--otherwise, we'd have our diving suits!

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 05:38:00 pm »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that they'd fry inside their little suits.  However, it's definitely worth a try.

I was wondering, if a dwarf has a high enough heat tolerance (plus the [FIREIMMUNE] tag) so as not to be affected by magma, and is given automatic swimming, will he consider magma to be dangerous terrain?

I think a fortress with sections flooded with magma, and lots of little fire-dwarves wading through it, would be pretty awesome.

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 06:35:00 pm »

You could make a race of Azer that resist fire and magma but I think they'd end up epxloding beer barrels and all their stuff would burst into flame. (Azer and flaming dwarf like beings)
"And call a dog a cow-that don't change the way the thing'll taste!" Bruenor Battlehammer

http://railickstonemane.wordpress.com/
http://stonemane.hostei.com/

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 01:21:00 am »

Bah, just let them drink distilled magma or something.  Or take out booze altogether.

Some high-heat "firewater" might actually be nice though, just make everything have a really high temperature tolerance.