Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pointer Hacking  (Read 1453 times)

darkfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pointer Hacking
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 06:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hague:
<STRONG>Ah, can someone hex edit wooden blocks into wooden boards then? I never understood the idea of a wooden block floor... besides, they have the same number of characters so it should be relatively simple, yeah? :P</STRONG>

Excellent example of why it is hard. I am guessing you are being sarcastic and realize this would be a major logic change to introduce a new item, and make everything work with it the same as before.

Fenrir

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 06:41:00 pm »

No, he's just changing the name of it. If the name's the same length as the original, it's easy to use a hex editor and change every "wooden block" into "wooden board".

[ February 08, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 04:44:00 pm »

It's not possible to change just the wooden blocks, unless I'm reading the disassembly completely wrong. The same variable referencing "blocks" is used for stone, metal, and wood blocks.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Fenrir

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 04:46:00 pm »

I'm not talking about the disassembly. You could just go into dwarfort.exe with a hex editor.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 04:49:00 pm »

What I'm saying is that if you edit the "blocks" to "boards", you'll get stone boards and metal boards. The reference is the same for all three. You can only change the interface-relevant strings.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Fenrir

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »

Oh, okay.

darkfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 10:00:00 pm »

lol, I guess you weren't being sarcastic, I should have checked back in and explained myself.

Basically there is only one object type for all blocks.
They are all object type Block, material type Wood or stone or whatever.
So if you wanted to do this it would require adding an entire new object type, and rewriting everything which used blocks to work with both the old and the new types.
This will probably be easier when all the workshops work on a reaction basis like the smelter and Toady has exposed all of the object types to us. Until then, not likely.

Pages: 1 [2]