Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hardcore Mod  (Read 2012 times)

Krom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hardcore Mod
« on: February 04, 2008, 12:18:00 am »

I did some work over the weekend toward making a "hardcore" mod that presents a higher challenge level than the base game. Elements I'd like to address:
1) Complicate farming by making growth times longer, restrict growing periods, and  reduce raw consumption.
2) Make meat more expensive so initial loadups and caravan purchases are costlier
3) Add more evil races and marauding monsters
4) Make metalbashing more complicated by reducing smelting outputs and increasing carbon requirements
5) Sharply reduce the amount of trade value a crafter can trivially produce by churning through cheap rock and wood crafts.
6) Increase the cost of highly valuable pets, particularly dogs

I've already accomplished 1,2,4, and 6
#3 will be easy, particularly because I've got a large number of pre-existing mods to draw from
I think #5 is currently impossible to accomplish through modding

So, I'm open to knowledgable modders giving me some advice on #5, and experienced DF players' opinion as to what else can be done to complicate things and reduce the effectiveness of common easy strategies and exploits.

Version 0.1 is posted! http://rs73.rapidshare.com/files/89236608/objects.zip

[ February 04, 2008: Message edited by: Krom ]

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Hardcore Mod
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 12:26:00 am »

Giving dwarves a lower damage block, and attack.
Giving goblins more speed (900) and increasing their attack. Making them bigger, and less likely to run would make sieges harder too.
Making megabeasts super mega (size 40 titan, it's not called a Titan for no reason)
Having things like a commonly found savage creature (Like a Tiger, but much more deadly). Taking away the [BENIGN] tag from elephants would be a real bitch to deal with too.

All I can think of for now.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Krom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 12:38:00 am »

Torak,

Thanks! Those all sound good, and perfectly in the spirit of what I'm trying to accomplish. They all seem pretty straightforward except for the first one. Ummm, the most obvious way of reducing dwarven combat capability is by degrading the weapon and armor effectiveness. I guess they could also be made size 5 instead of 6? Wonder what side effects that would have.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 01:00:00 am »

If you don't want goblins, you could always make a new demonic race that would siege your holdings.  Almost like a pit attack, except you'd have humanoid demons (with either steel or some new, darker metal equipment) leading firebreathing hellhounds (beak dog replacement) and titan demons (larger, horned demons that can smash buildings, but wield no other weapons.  Troll replacement).

For added hell, give all standard demons flying or fireball capabilities.

As for stonecrafting, you could just remove useless trinkets from dwarves altogether.  They'd have to sell useful items instead, and those tend to weigh more so you can't sell as many of them.

Feel magma is too easy?  Make spirits of fire spawn in the calderas!  Don't like how some forts get easy adamantine pits with frog demons or the like?  Make every demon have all the spheres, so everything spawns in every pit! And, if you feel creative, make up some new demons to add into the mix...

As for lessening dwarven attacks, I'm not sure what you'd do for weapons (seeing as they already do less damage than other races, including those pansy elves!), but you can always take out the biting and put in a less powerful secondary attack.  It won't come up much, but it's something.

Shaio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 01:45:00 am »

You mean like my Varshi race?
Its kinda annoying when snatchers can rip your dwarfs limb from limb thou.

Still its funny seeing your dwarves being the ones flying across the room and splattering.

Course you could just add [DAMBLOCK:3](or 8) to goblins... I found that excessive for my Varshi race, just like having them size 12.

If you want my race ill happily give you the necessary files, I'm still balancing it thou, atm trying to fight them is pretty much suicide...

Heck.. I had one of them rip 3 human caravan guards to pieces, and then continue on to grab a baby, rip 4 dwarves to pieces, and send the other 3 that had cornered it running...... It then for some reason decided to exit my fort through my archery range....

That of course killed it.

Btw does anyone know a way to make snacthers equip decent weapons?

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 09:34:00 am »

if you want your game hardcore, then nerf the crossbow bolts from 100 to 33 damage, and lower the crossbow damage to 40 (unless they dont shoot... crossbows will still be effective
also, give your dwarves the [VERMIN_LAVA] tag, and then you can make base raiding random monsters with the [VERMINHUNTER] tag...
een failing lately?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 09:35:00 am »

Just don't bring any cats.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 09:45:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by gurra_geban:
<STRONG>if you want your game hardcore, then nerf the crossbow bolts from 100 to 33 damage,</STRONG>

It'll still do piercing damage, even a 1 damage bolt would still be able to rip out your heart and lungs, lower damage would just make it have a harder time severing limbs.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 10:08:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>

It'll still do piercing damage, even a 1 damage bolt would still be able to rip out your heart and lungs, lower damage would just make it have a harder time severing limbs.</STRONG>

How about this:

[ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BOLTS]
[NAME:bolt:bolts]
[CLASS:BOLT]
[DAMAGE:33:BLUDGEON]

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 10:15:00 am »

quote:
Just don't bring any cats.

apparently, they dont attack "allied" vermin ^^
yeah, wit 33 bludgeon dmg crossbows still have the fire rate to rock
een failing lately?

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 02:42:00 pm »

made a new discovery!

ordinary creatures usually run when faced with a dwarf who approaches them, when large_predator approaches a dwarf it will try to kill the dwarf
creatures with curiousbeast tags will try to grab stuff on the outside of your forest, but flee unless cornered when faced by dwarves
creatures with verminhunter (and if dwarves have a vermin tag) will harass your dwarves both inside and outside your fortress, but still back off if they arent cornered
now heres the discovery, removing the eyes from a creature will make them ridicously brave, and with verminhunter or curiousbeast they will charge at 10 marksdwarves alone. im going to create a massive amount of blind stalker creatures for all biomes now, so you may have to defend your poor dwarves from hordes of sadistic wyrms and red trolls, maybe have a gnoll there too

een failing lately?

Krom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 03:57:00 pm »

Gurra,

Thanks! That's really useful information for my creature and monster tweaks. I'm definitely wanting to have a lot of different ways in which the fortress is often beset by a range of problems, both large and small.

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »

lol, just tested a new creature, the dadaluma. its a giant, firebreathing golem spider.
how my seven starting dwarves dies even with really high effort was quite sad. trying to kill this thingie, i made a maze with channels and then made 6 crossbows and mass produced wooden bolts. took awhile before it arrived, and when it did i stationed 6 of my dwarves in position to fire at it when it were in the maze and a lone axedwarf at the end of the maze. it killed all of them, without taking even a scratch. you wanted hardcore?

the only problem i have with this is that i dont know any way of regulating how often this thing arrives... any tips?

[CREATURE :DADALUMA]
   [NAME :Dadaluma :Dadaluma :Dadaluma]
   [TILE:'S'][COLOR:0:4:0]
   [MODVALUE:50]
   [FREQUENCY:15]
   [LARGE_ROAMING]
   [NATURAL][PET_EXOTIC]
   [FIREBREATH][THICKWEB][WEBIMMUNE][VERMINHUNTER][RECKLESS][PARALYZEIMMUNE][LIKES_FIGHTING]
   [LARGE_PREDATOR]
   [GENPOWER:4]
   [BLOODTYPE:W][CHITIN]
   [PETVALUE:5000]
   [GRASSTRAMPLE:10]
   [NOPAIN][NOSTUN][NOEMOTION][NOSKULL][NOBONES][NOEXERT]
   [BUILDINGDESTROYER:2]
   [NOFEAR]
   [PREFSTRING:enormous size]
   [BODY:SPIDER:HEART:GUTS:BRAIN:MOUTH]
   [SIZE:35]
   [MAXAGE:20:30]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:6:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
   [FAT:5]
   [NO_SLEEP]
   [ALL_ACTIVE]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:20:25]
   [CHILD:1]
   [CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:2][LOOSECLUSTERS]
   [BIOME_ANY_LAND]
   [ITEMCORPSE:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:RAW_ADAMANTINE:NO_MATGLOSS]
   [HOMEOTHERM:10069]
   [LAYERING:100]
   [STANDARD_FLESH]

[ February 04, 2008: Message edited by: gurra_geban ]

een failing lately?

Fenrir

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 07:18:00 pm »

The [FREQUENCY] tag determines the time between creature spawns.

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 07:21:00 pm »

quote:
The [FREQUENCY] tag determines the time between creature spawns.

so ive heard, but how excatly? does high frequency mean more time between spawns?

een failing lately?
Pages: [1] 2