Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Community Mod  (Read 5406 times)

Fenrir

The Community Mod
« on: January 08, 2008, 11:00:00 am »

Here's how this works. Everyone on these forums who wishes to participate will be modded into the game as a megabeast. A community fortress will be started with the purpose of capturing these megabeasts. The captured megabeasts will then be taken to an arena, where they will fight one on one matches with each other until only one remains. Everyone who lost must add the following to their signature for a week:

"Engraved on this signature is an image of <winner>. <winner>. <loser's name> is making a submissive gesture."

EDIT:
THIS PROJECT HAS BEEN SUSPENDED MOMENTARILY WHILE I PUT IN PLACE A POINT BUY SYSTEM.

ANOTHER EDIT:
This thread is now simply a development thread. If and when the mod has been given a balanced point buy system, another thread will be made in the Dwarf Fortress Discussion forum, where applications will be accepted.

[ January 08, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Community Mod
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 11:32:00 am »

This sounds really interesting! While I would love to help develop the mod I have  no idea how to properly balance creatures. I would like to be one of the creatures, and I will edit this post once I have determined what I would like my creature to have.

EDIT:

code:

BODY TYPE: Humanoid 4 arms
PREFSTRING: lack of fear
SIZE: MEDIUM/LARGE (preferably larger then an elephant)
ATTACKS: All four arms should have basic punches and should be able to grab for wrestling moves, and have burning punches!
DAMBLOCK: NORMAL/HIGH DEFENSE (thinking +1 or +2 maybe)
SPEED: QUICK
SPECIAL: [FIREIMMUNESUPER][WEBBER]

[ January 08, 2008: Message edited by: ricemastah ]

MechanicalArm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 11:41:00 am »

Hello there!

Been lurking here for a while, but I see this is a chance to come out of the unknown shadows.

I would like to participate and help any way I can! So Im sort of using it as a placeholder.

Also, if some regular comes in to knock me out of the line...I will not cry! I know what chain of command is!  :D

Fenrir

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 11:59:00 am »

I'm going to put in place a points system so people can "buy" stats. Balancing is going to be difficult, because I don't know anything about it either. How do you compare speed and strength? What will these special abilites cost? How do you compare [FIREBREATH] and [WEBBING]? Any thoughts?

MechanicalArm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »

The point buy system sounds cool I think.

Also, direct damage skills should cost more.
And as you can see in may RPG's the stat points should be equal in cost, but grow as you increase them.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 12:05:00 pm »

I want to be a prinny dood!!

• body type=peg legged penguin with batwings on the back.
• prefstring=dood!
• size=a little bigger then a dwarf
• gender=male
• attacks=Knife stab(alot of them)
• defense level= normal
• speed=fast
• special abilities=emmmm throw bomb? :)

The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Fenrir

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 12:08:00 pm »

Well, I intended the point buy system to be for the initial creation, but I suppose I could give creatures points to spend after successful bouts. After the person the creature represents decides where to spend the points, I could mod the raws, since changing tags in creatures doesn't require a world regen.

I like that. That still leaves the problem of balancing, however. This will require some information, like how much damage [FIREBREATH] does intially, how much damage does being on fire do over how much time, how long [WEBBING] keeps you stuck, how advantageous is wrestling, for starters.

Fenrir

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 12:11:00 pm »

HOLD UP THERE, PEOPLE! Your supposed to be you! Keilden, your a Grand Hammer, not a penguin with bat wings! Wait until I have this sorted out before you start posting your stats.

MechanicalArm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 12:15:00 pm »

Bold idea, but if we use standard DND stuff for that?

Im almost sure there is a spell or skill in DND for everything in DF, and everyone could use the opensource files easily.

Fenrir

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 12:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MechanicalArm:
<STRONG>Bold idea, but if we use standard DND stuff for that?

Im almost sure there is a spell or skill in DND for everything in DF, and everyone could use the opensource files easily.</STRONG>

Remember these are megabeasts, so they have only their strength (the damage of their attacks), speed, and defence (DAMBLOCK), and various other tags: [FIREBREATH], [FIREIMMUNE], [NOFEAR], [NOBREATH], etc., etc.

Are you familiar with the d20 system?

MechanicalArm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 12:27:00 pm »

Im not the biggest d20 geek in town, but I know my way around.

Then we could use the monster manual as a reference, so every beast would have a fixed stat allocation and ONTO that could the player buy his/her skills, thus customizing it.

It would deffinetly narrow down the choices but would give a pretty solid base imho.

Fenrir

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 12:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MechanicalArm:
<STRONG>Im not the biggest d20 geek in town, but I know my way around.

Then we could use the monster manual as a reference, so every beast would have a fixed stat allocation and ONTO that could the player buy his/her skills, thus customizing it.

It would deffinetly narrow down the choices but would give a pretty solid base imho.</STRONG>

Good idea. I'm unfamiliar with the D20 system, so I'll need your help to do this.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »

Will they be actual megabeast quality or will they simply be slightly stronger than average creatures?  Making them somewhat weaker may make them easier to catch. But might kill some of the fun.

What about simulating weapons with the raws? Or temperature tolerance changes?

Sounds cool.  Gonna be a pain to balance though.   ;)

All Greiger is is a legendary Half-Dragon swordsman way back when I played DnD with him.  Probably won't be much of a challenge for the likes of a god of blood or the great wolf. But I'll join in anyway.

EDIT:Wow, 4 posts in the time it took me to write that.

[ January 08, 2008: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MechanicalArm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »

I will gladly help!

d20 open

Here is almost everything, though we will need a fracture of it!

Fenrir

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 12:43:00 pm »

I want this to be a mod where we are roleplaying ourselves, the people we are on these forums. Armok is the god of blood, I'm an enormous wolf, Keilden is a grand hammerer, I'm assuming your a dude with a mechanical arm, so if limit people to the list of DnD monsters, that may not be possible.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4