Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plant to Plant reaction  (Read 1253 times)

Nogert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Plant to Plant reaction
« on: February 02, 2008, 03:46:00 am »

Is it possible to make a reaction that changes something like plump helmets into cave wheat? I've tried myself, but it diddn't work. This is the reaction I'm trying:

code:
[REACTION:PLUMP_WHEAT]
[NAME:make plump to wheat]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:WOOD:PINE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]

Is the final thing like iron of pine have anything to do with the reaction? The wiki page on reactions leads me to believe it doesn't matter. Does it need fuel?

Also if this works, is it possible to make the plant created to be used in the creation of metal bars. My goal for my own personal gnome mod is to plant a seed called "Queen Ant" and have it grow a large web-pod thing that can be used in the creation of metals and the like.

Also on a somewhat related note, would it be possible to have a plant take two or more seasons to grow fully?

And since I seem to be a dunce with reactions, would it be possible to turn catapult/ballista parts into charcoal?

[ February 02, 2008: Message edited by: Nogert ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Plant to Plant reaction
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 09:47:00 am »

A plant that takes more than a season to grow will not be plantable, because the UI will mark it as forbidden.

And PLANT and WOOD are different matglosses. DF doesn't treat trees like plants, for any purposes other than being able to spontaneously grow in various climates. You're looking for something like BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:WOOD:PINE, or something of the sort. The syntax is ITEMTYPE:ITEMSUBTYPE:MATGLOSS:MATERIAL.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nogert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 12:29:00 pm »

I used wood because according to the Material Tokens wood is material one. I used that because I thought since plants use material and matgloss tokens in an odd way, the wood would signify plump helmets, since they're the first in the matgloss_plant file. Am I doing this wrong?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 11:12:00 am »

You're not turning plump helmets into cave wheat, by the way. That would turn pine wood into iron bars if it worked properly.

Nogert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 06:22:00 pm »

Then can someone help me make it work? I thought the wood and metal signified numbers, not the actual items. I also thought the final space to be unimportant. I am so confused  :( ...

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 03:15:04 am »

From what I am gathering from other posts about smelting plants (such as this post http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=23479.15), I think Toady made the item_tokens for plants work properly in version 40.

Try using the logical ones, i.e.
[REAGENT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:CAVE_WHEAT:NONE]
[Edit][PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:GRASS_WHEAT_CAVE:NONE]

I haven't tested it yet though.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 03:38:49 am by Hamster Man »
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 03:48:27 am »

Well, that's kinda odd. It didn't work the first few times until I started doing copy and paste, so I guess I was just making typos or something...

Anyways, just cut and paste whichever string for whichever plant you want to make at the smelter.

[REACTION:BLAH]
[NAME:make stuff]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:GRASS_TAIL_PIG:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:BULB_KOBOLD:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:HERB_VALLEY:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:SLIVER_BARB:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:GRASS_WHEAT_CAVE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:BUSH_QUARRY:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:POD_SWEET:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:ROOT_MUCK:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:TUBER_BLOATED:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:BERRIES_PRICKLE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:BERRIES_STRAW_WILD:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:GRASS_LONGLAND:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:BERRIES_FISHER:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:REED_ROPE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:MUSHROOM_CUP_DIMPLE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:WEED_BLADE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:ROOT_HIDE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:BERRY_SUN:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:VINE_WHIP:NONE]

So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 08:51:26 am »

A plant that takes more than a season to grow will not be plantable, because the UI will mark it as forbidden.

Not so! A plant can bridge the spring-summer and summer-fall and fall-winter boundary just fine, so long as it is marked to be grown in both seasons. It can't bridge the year turnover (winter-spring).

To get a plant that will take, say, spring and summer to grow, simple give it the [SPRING][SUMMER] tags and then give it a [GROWDUR:X] longer than a season (which is ~1000, 1008 I think). Remember that you need to leave time for the plant to actually be planted, so if you are trying to make a 2 season plant, you are better off giving it 3 seasons it can grow in, or make it a season and a half plant.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 08:57:09 am »

Erom is correct: all the plants in my game take between 1000 and 3500.  So long as there is no interrupting interval, such as having it grow in winter, spring, and fall (leaving summer out), the 3500 will grow just fine so long as it is planted early enough.