Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where are the Raws for Undead/Zombies?  (Read 814 times)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Where are the Raws for Undead/Zombies?
« on: December 20, 2007, 07:12:00 pm »

I cant find it anywhere, and would like to edit/make some undead of my own.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

DR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where are the Raws for Undead/Zombies?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 07:31:00 pm »

Zombie/skeleton is a template applied to existing creatures. You can't create new templates, but you should be able to get skeletal/zombie versions of new creatures you create in evil areas.

Alternatively, you could just create new creatures from scratch that are undead-like.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 07:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DR:
<STRONG>
Alternatively, you could just create new creatures from scratch that are undead-like.</STRONG>

So you cant just create a skeleton monster without a living and fleshly counterpart?

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

DR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 07:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>

So you cant just create a skeleton monster without a living and fleshly counterpart?</STRONG>

Well... sort of. You could create something that the game doesn't recognise as undead as such, but that has traits pretty similar to an undead and almost functions as one.

Have a look at the tokens page on the wiki (and maybe have a look at the iron man creature entry in the raws for a starting point for your new creature since it functions pretty similarly to a skeleton).
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Creature_Tokens

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 07:51:00 pm »

Well, it doesn't even make any sense!
A skeleton monster that wan't created out of a living creature is called a bone golem and isn't undead. (the general term for golems is unlife, I believe, though all those words make little sense anyway).
<3

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 08:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mayday:
<STRONG>Well, it doesn't even make any sense!
A skeleton monster that wan't created out of a living creature is called a bone golem and isn't undead. (the general term for golems is unlife, I believe, though all those words make little sense anyway).</STRONG>

I never said I wanted to be practical.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 07:59:00 pm »

All bone/flesh constructs came from living things at some point. Unless you grew them in a +clear glass vat+.

That said, iron men would be a good basic template for golem/constructs of any kind.   :)

Addendum: It would appear that there is a difference between making a undead, and making a golem from organic parts. But it's very very vague.

To sum it up, a undead is powered by the Plane of Negative Energy. (We are powered by the plane of positive energy, for the most part.) - These are generally evil and maleovent in nature. "Casper the friendly ghost" my egregious posterior.

And golems are powered by a spirit from the Elemental Plane of Earth, bound in its body. This apparently applies to all golem/constructs, regardless of materials used in its construction. Bone, flesh, wood, adamantine, you name it. - These are by default neutral. But may go berzerk if the shell commandered by a chaotic spirit. This does not apply to rock golems and harder materials.

I guess some necromancers would animate a pile of random bones into a undead/construct, but it would be impractical since it would be subject to everything that destroys regular undead. Bright lights, for example. Friendship speeches. Holy water.. Etc.

But since DF doesn't have any of that it would be a moot point.  :D

[ December 22, 2007: Message edited by: Cajoes ]

Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.