Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New mod in the works - some questions  (Read 693 times)

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New mod in the works - some questions
« on: December 20, 2007, 06:30:00 pm »

Is there a way to modify the probability of one race appearing in world generation over another?  Like if I wanted to keep most of the humans but maybe throw in one or two orc civs (who are also plains dwellers as i've designed them).  Also, is there a way to make settlements populated by multiple races, like humans and half-elves?

I'm working on a mod that adds other popular fantasy races to the game.  There will be gnomes and halflings in addition to the orcs and half-elves, and maybe some other races.  I don't want to give half-elves their own civs, but I'd like to mix them in with humans every so often.  I might also try to make them encounterable in the wilderness, like other creatures.  So you'd have the occasional roaming half-elf ranger that might help you out.  If that works, I might also have lone elven rangers and humans too.

Heck, if it's possible, I might even try to make bandits.  These would be wilderness roaming packs of orcs, humans, and half-elves that act like kobolds and goblins.

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New mod in the works - some questions
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 06:57:00 pm »

lessee.... no, no, and no.
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 03:06:00 am »

I believe that because there are 7 or so plains civs that you can generate a couple different entities, but I may be wrong.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 04:52:00 am »

Karlito is correct. But apart from that, most stuff is just hardcoded at the moment.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 07:29:00 am »

If an entity has 2 different creatures attached, I think that half of the towns will be inhabited by the first one and the other half will be inhabited by the second one.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

MyBeardIsOnFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 09:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Person:
<STRONG>If an entity has 2 different creatures attached, I think that half of the towns will be inhabited by the first one and the other half will be inhabited by the second one.</STRONG>

When I tried it, only the last creature token counted. The rest were ignored.

Edit: Also, it's possible to add more civs, but only 4 will be "in contact" with any given site. It also increases the chances of civs being very small.

[ December 21, 2007: Message edited by: MyBeardIsOnFire ]

iantspider stands before you!
Giantspider...killed Yourlast Adventurer
Giantspider...killed Yo Momma

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 10:15:00 am »

You could make a creature "Orc Bandit" and make it encounterable in the wilderness.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 10:40:00 am »

Back in 2D adding multiple creatures to a civ worked, (they made seperate towns in the same general area)I donno if it still works in this version though.

The idea of randomly encountering allies on the world map sounds kinda cool as well, but I don't know if it's currently possible to make a friendly creature.  I think were pretty much stuck with 'runs away on sight' and 'tries to rip out your throat'.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!