Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Glass Weapons  (Read 3270 times)

Fenrir

Re: Glass Weapons
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 05:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>blah blah blah [...] Mini-MJOLNIR. </STRONG>

AWESOME!!! You rock Kagus! 10000000x10^23☼ awarded for knowing the name of Thor's hammer! Why didn't I think of this before?!!! A VIKING MOD!!! The perfect way to meld my Viking obsession with my Dwarf Fortress fanaticism!!!

EDIT:
@MyBeardIsOnFire: Thanks for the help!

[ January 07, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 07:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zonhin:
<STRONG>Glass is only weak because most of the time, we find it in thin sheets. A solid mass of glass would be strong enough to last, as long as it isn't too thin. A glass dagger or shortsword would probably be more useful then a metal one. Though anything larger then that would be a useless piece of junk that breaks all the time. And trying to repair it would be hell.

[ January 07, 2008: Message edited by: Zonhin ]</STRONG>

How about glass spears? A wooden shaft with a small sharp piece of glass on the end. It has the reach of a spear and the sharpness of a glass weapon without being too brittle to wield.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 07:47:00 pm »

How bout a war hammer named Aegis-Fang that is only created when you select a dwarf to make his one great master piece (Which blows away things created by special moods but can only be created one time for each dwarves life time) that causes insane damage when thrown and reappears in the throwers hand in seconds. Just a thought?
"And call a dog a cow-that don't change the way the thing'll taste!" Bruenor Battlehammer

http://railickstonemane.wordpress.com/
http://stonemane.hostei.com/

Fenrir

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 07:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Serondal:
<STRONG>How bout a war hammer named Aegis-Fang that is only created when you select a dwarf to make his one great master piece (Which blows away things created by special moods but can only be created one time for each dwarves life time) that causes insane damage when thrown and reappears in the throwers hand in seconds. Just a thought?</STRONG>

Say what?

[ January 07, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 07:57:00 pm »

you've never heard of the war hammer Aegis-Fang ?   :eek:
"And call a dog a cow-that don't change the way the thing'll taste!" Bruenor Battlehammer

Fenrir

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 08:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Serondal:
<STRONG>you've never heard of the war hammer Aegis-Fang ?    :eek:</STRONG>

No. Should I?

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 11:42:00 am »

Oh yes! You certainly should have! Have you never heard of Drizzt and the Drow books? I mean dwarf fortress almost seems based off the dwarf from the series. He gets a fey mood and crafts a masterpiece artifact called Aegis Fang that is extremly strong (Mithril head engraved with gold dust) When his adopted human son throws the hammer it kills pretty much anything (including most giants) In a single hit THEN it reappears in his hand almost instantly! Its freaking awsome. I think only one giant named Bigrin or something like that was able to resist it but he wasn't really a giant he was some kind of demon from another plane so it doesn't count ;P  ANY HOW I can't wait till make weapons get into the game so my dwarfs can stop making their insanely over rated toy axes and stuff.

Fenrir

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 11:53:00 am »

A magical hammer that slays giants and returns to your hand? Whoever created that story had heard of Mjolnir.

EDIT:
Sometimes I'm glad we don't have mods. They wouldn't allow us to go off on such wonderful tangents.

[ January 08, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 05:38:00 am »

R.A. Salvatore.  Also known as "Bob".

And it's quite possible he knows some Norse mythology, but most of the stuff he writes is taken out of the D&D universe.  And, sometimes, implemented into it due to his popularity.

For instance, in Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn, you can bump into Drizzt and his part, including the dwarf and his barbarian "son".  They're looking for the dwarf's pink ("It's not pink, damn you!  It's red!") hammer, which he has misplaced somewhere.

He has a very interesting writing style, but sometimes the fantasy gets in the way.

Frankly, I'd rather just have Mjolnir.  It's smashier.

EDIT:  And there's another reference, "Baldur".  But then again, a lot of games stick in at least some aspect of Norse mythology.  It's just too damn cool to pass up.

[ January 09, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2008, 03:12:00 pm »

Oh, glass weapons are truly formidable, no matter what it said.  A weapon that is deadly no matter if and how it breaks.  Bolts would be especially deadly with a tendency to shatter inside.

And one big fact about glass: almost nothing is sharper.  That's right.  Broken glass, with it's concoidal fracture, is one of the sharpest things around.  When you want to cut things on a nanotome (like a microtome, but we use it to cut sheets thin enough for Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM)), we don't use a fancy well honed knife blade of some special allow.  We have a machine, instead, that takes a piece of glass.  And breaks it.  That is our knife.  Eventually it will wear down.  Then we break it again, or break another one.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2008, 06:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>As for swords, a diamond blade would be far more effective.  Not to mention damn cool.
</STRONG>

Something like this?

code:

[REACTION :DIAMOND_SWORD]
[NAME:make clear diamond short sword]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:SMALLGEM:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE :DIAMOND_CLEAR]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_SHORT:STONE :DIAMOND_CLEAR]

Change the matgloss tag to make it what ever type of gem you want. Although this is kinda cool. Can't wait to have my dwarves charge into battle wielding these. Now to mod in diamond armor.

Chaz Turbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2008, 08:53:00 pm »

I remember wikipedia mentioned that flint-knappers use glass as training material.  I'm not sure of how accurate that is, but it would make sense.  Another thing to do might be to make a smelter reaction that "deblocks" glass into a stone with the [SHARP] tag.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2008, 11:49:00 pm »

Yeah, otherwise it will probably default to a 50% armor/damage modifier, which isn't that hot.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2008, 08:15:00 pm »

If you look in my Ecology mod (My personal dump thread), I plagiarized some other threads to make some colored glass.  The thing is, I must use the metals category to do it.  The smelter reaction converts it to a diferent type of glass (the type that is classed as a metal in the matglosses).  To get the glass able to do like regular glass, and be able to be made into trap components (your spiked balls and such), I had to add the [WEAPON] token.  The problem?  It's not restricted to traps, so that token makes it able to be used for other weapons as well.  So... That's the sort of thing your looking for, no?  And if course if you add other things, you can make other stuff... I haven't posted it yet as I am still testing to make sure I didn;t screw up, but I made a variant for my own uses wherein there were many types, each with it's own use (and, as per the whole reason for colored glass, different color).  One is somewhat springy so works for ranged weapons, one is strong and not brittle, so picks, ect.  So you can make it work for anything that metals work for.

[ March 04, 2008: Message edited by: Pickerel ]

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2008, 12:56:00 pm »

Glass bolts would be pretty nasty against flesh and cloth, but would be useless against thick leather or metal armour.

Glass catapult ammo, with area effect shard shrapnel would be very viscious.  All exposed flesh gets cuts + pain, and eyes get blinded.

In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3