Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Short-lived creatures in Fortress mode  (Read 834 times)

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Short-lived creatures in Fortress mode
« on: January 30, 2008, 05:04:00 pm »

If I made it possible to play dwarf mode as an entity with creatures that lived a very short time, say [MAXAGE:1:4], would it be workable or would the fortress die out? Would the number of people dropping dead of old age prevent immigration or cancel it out? What if the creature was [CHILD:1] without [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]?
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Short-lived creatures in Fortress mode
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 05:11:00 pm »

Use the [LITTERSIZE:#:#] tag, with the minimum then maximum numbers. You'd also want them to grow into children instantly like puppies and kittens do, with walking around and all. Or not, because babies act as meatshields.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 05:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by penguinofhonor:
<STRONG>Use the [LITTERSIZE:#:#] tag, with the minimum then maximum numbers. You'd also want them to grow into children instantly like puppies and kittens do, with walking around and all. Or not, because babies act as meatshields.</STRONG>

I didn't know about [LITTERSIZE], thanks. Do I need any special tag for them to grow into children? I figured if I just omitted [BABY] that would do it.

Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 07:07:00 pm »

I think that would work.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 07:31:00 pm »

Oh my god, I'm gonna make the dwarven littersize up to 12...

So I currently have this:
   [CHILD:1]
   [LITTERSIZE:2:12]

Will this work?

Also, will I need so start a new world or fort to get it working? My dream is to make a fortress that could easily expand quickly without immigrants.

[ February 03, 2008: Message edited by: Slappy Moose ]

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 09:09:00 pm »

Well, here's the problem. Dwarves won't start out married. So they will never have children. They only arrive as immigrants married.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 09:38:00 pm »

But will the immigrant dwarves have 2 - 12 children that will be born as children, and take a year to turn into adults, without me having to generate a new world?
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 11:10:00 pm »

You might have to gen a new world, but I don't think so.

They're all peasants, so watch out.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 01:38:00 am »

Meh, that's fine. I prefer having peasants because it lets me start a person form scratch, and give them a few jobs that need doing.

If I notice the dwarves arent reproducing as fast as they should, I guess I'll just have to start a new world.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 09:11:00 am »

I've read a novel of some sort in a similar setting. "Four-day planet" or something like that...  About people living on a planet where their entire life was four days long, something to do with radiation and stuff. Would probably be fun to see something of the kind in DF probably.

Especially with the new version coming in. If the rulers change every year...  poor elves. 1050 rulers. They'll have to make some big graveyards.  :)

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 09:25:00 am »

Elves don't make graveyards, they just rot out in the open.  More natural that way.

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 11:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>Especially with the new version coming in. If the rulers change every year...  poor elves. 1050 rulers. They'll have to make some big graveyards.   :)</STRONG>

Actually, if you read the devlog, elves don't have a succession.
They just have one immortal druid or something.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 01:37:00 pm »

In reference to elves, I meant the fact that they start at 0. They need not be immortal, really, especially in this mod's case. Immoral, maybe...  ;)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 11:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Metal Chao:
<STRONG>

Actually, if you read the devlog, elves don't have a succession.
They just have one immortal druid or something.</STRONG>

That is only the case when the civilization is never subject to war.  Elves only die of violent causes } :)