Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hi, I am a Dwarf Fortress victim...  (Read 1793 times)

BvG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hi, I am a Dwarf Fortress victim...
« on: July 29, 2007, 05:40:00 pm »

Some weeks ago I discovered Dwarf Fortress, and have played it 4 times since then. My total play time however is far more then forty hours, putting me at an average play time of approximately eleven hours per sitting. Strangely, always at sunset I get the inexplicable urge to play it, making me play until dawn or longer.

There can be only one Conclusion:
Dwarf Fortress is trying to ruin my life! Make me lose my friends and job! It's a succubus, a life eater, a harbinger of doom!

Up to now I have been strong, only playing it when such behaviour would not make me lose participation in other parts of my life, but no one knows what the future will bring...

No BvG's or Dwarf Fortresses where harmed in this exaggerated report, however 12 Dwarfes already died at BvGs hand in retaliation.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Hi, I am a Dwarf Fortress victim...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 05:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by BvG:
<STRONG>
Dwarf Fortress is trying to ruin my life! Make me lose my friends and job! It's a succubus, a life eater, a harbinger of doom!
</STRONG>

it is. but don't let it find out I told you... and don't read this thread with the game on- the RNG might get pissed at you and kill your entire fortress with some random elephant herd.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 10:00:00 pm »

Those of us who played for more than 10 hours straight at our first sitting need some sort of support group.

Hello, my name is "Cornelius," and I am addicted to Dwarf Fortress.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 03:39:00 am »

Hello Cornelius *waves*
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 08:04:00 am »

Hi Cornelius.

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 09:24:00 am »

I played it during a 12ish hour plane flight from LA to Taipei. I lucked out and had an electric plug under my seat which i made great use of.

That night I dreamt of ascii. I had no idea what was going on, but I knew somehow that it was epic.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 10:10:00 am »

Dreaming in ASCII can be fun.  It's way better than dreaming in Tetris.

Lokum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 07:09:00 pm »

I'd tell you a club you could join which could help you..But the first and second rule is not to talk about it :X

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 01:05:00 am »

1) You don't talk about Dwarf fort
2) You don't talk about Dwarf fort

*takes an extra strong dose of Dwarf fort* ahhhh

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 01:38:00 am »

*blush* i almost never watch tv anymore without my laptop running.  sometimes i come up for air and surf the net (and usually end up here) but most of the time there are funny-looking little smiley faces running around my screen being chased by capital E's.

i think i need help.  if i press space do you think my life would pause while i play another round?  :(

cause of unexplainable mischief

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 04:41:00 am »

I kinda play(ed) a lot of DF at school (game developement course at a uni) and people always seemed to come and ask what the heck that game was all about. Doubt they were too eager to get into it themselves though  :(

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 02:26:00 pm »

I tried spreading the addiction to my friends, once, like a drug addict looking for buddies to float off into the land of color changing ceiling tiles.  My first friend has something against games more complex than Doom 2, and expects graphics that make reality look fake...  The second one plays World of Warcraft.

Figures.  I guess I'll stare at representations of the lil' bearded fellows all alone...   :(

Oh, and there's so many sad faces...  We need some happiness in this thread!

...   :(

[ July 31, 2007: Message edited by: Dreamer ]

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Kagira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 04:26:00 pm »

Yeah, this game is pretty addicting. I had a DREAM about the new version last night for crying out loud!

However, it was the same only all my dwarves were laying in the hallway and were glitched up and scrambled looking. Also the only sound was a wierd buzzing noise. I eventually said "Man, this sucks." and woke up.

obles make fine firewood.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 12:39:00 am »

Toady needs to add a "pizza" shortcut to the game, like the EQ guys did. While we're at it there should be an "auto-IM friends" shortcut, with random friendly messages for the person in question, that'll take care of your social life.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 03:03:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagira:
<STRONG>Yeah, this game is pretty addicting. I had a DREAM about the new version last night for crying out loud!</STRONG>

*sighs* not the only one...

Pages: [1] 2