Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reaction... silk?  (Read 984 times)

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reaction... silk?
« on: January 03, 2008, 12:25:00 pm »

I've been playing with reaction files a bit and after getting a mood on my legendary dwarf who wanted silk and could not get any on the map I was playing and with no caravan in sight I hoped to be able to cheat my way to it via an alchemic reaction in the smelter.

The problem is... I can only get boiling silk which kills whoever is unfortunate enough to go pick it up and then evaporates into thin air.

Any way to mod silk as material not to do that?

And also... any ideas how to mess with cloth and leather materials to cause them to evaporate(thus getting my fortress rid of abandoned clothes)?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reaction... silk?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 12:37:00 pm »

It's possible that you might be able to change it's boiling point. There are cloth tags CLOTH_SPEC_HEAT CLOTH_HEATDAM_POINT CLOTH_COLDDAM_POINT CLOTH_IGNITE_POINT CLOTH_MELTING_POINT CLOTH_BOILING_POINT CLOTH_FIXED_TEMP

An easier way to get silk would be to give your dwarves the [WEBBER] tag and make them fight a wild animal.

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 12:48:00 pm »

What file should these tags be added to?

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 04:04:00 pm »

They should be added to the creature raw that the silk you want comes from.

Also, the tags you are looking for should be [SILK_SPEC_HEAT] and so on.

[ January 03, 2008: Message edited by: Hague ]

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 06:15:00 pm »

I do wish that the various temperature tags defaulted to reasonable values instead of defaulting to 60001.  (Or was it -30000?  One of the two.)

60001°DF is much hotter than the surface of the sun; -30000°DF is way below absolute zero.

If I've done the math right, the surface of the sun averages approximately 19950°DF and absolute zero is 9509°DF.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 06:02:00 pm »

60001, or whatever it was, is distinguished as the invalid temperature value, so any point where it's actually being used is a bug.  Most of the materials have reasonable default values, unless they are supposed to be invalid (like an ignition point for stone).

The temp variables should all be unsigned, and the valid values run from 0 to 60000.  I allow them to go below absolute zero to simulate supernatural heat gradients.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Quitschi1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 11:34:00 am »

there is a dwarfenfortress degree? O_O

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by 0x517A5D:
<STRONG>I do wish that the various temperature tags defaulted to reasonable values instead of defaulting to 60001.  (Or was it -30000?  One of the two.)

60001°DF is much hotter than the surface of the sun; -30000°DF is way below absolute zero.

If I've done the math right, the surface of the sun averages approximately 19950°DF and absolute zero is 9509°DF.</STRONG>

I just tried finding this on the wiki and failed, someone should add it.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 04:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>I just tried finding this on the wiki and failed, someone should add it.</STRONG>

I intend to, soon.  I have put up a page on specific heat, which baked my mind a little.  BTUs per pound per degree Fahrenheit, molecular weights... oh my half-remembered chemistry 101.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 04:04:00 am »

I think the problem is that reaction tags can't see the creature glossary. Spiders Everywhere discovered some stuff related to this; you can read about it in this thread. Maybe if you added silk tags to horses, since SILK is the twelfth tag and horses are the twelfth animal?