Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stone Coloration for Greater Differentiation?  (Read 990 times)

Nakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stone Coloration for Greater Differentiation?
« on: November 25, 2007, 03:31:00 pm »

I'll preface this by saying I have read up on the [COLOR:x:y:z] thing, so I'm not sure this will actually be possible.

I was wondering if it could be possible to differentiate stone types by giving them a more broad range of color. While I have no problem with generic stone types basically being gray, white, or dark gray, I really do enjoy the special fun that comes with orthoclase, olivine, and microcline. Whether it's building a yellow castle to lower property values in the region or covering the map in microcline roads to try to fool people on the map viewer that I made them from adamantine, I sure love colored stone.

What I'd like to do is mod the color of certain types of stones for pseudo-realism but mostly for fun. I wanted to make mud and claystone brown, sandstone a ruddy orange, and granite pink (don't laugh; a lot of granite IS pink, and pink granite is pretty and valuable... or maybe I could add "pink granite" as a cluster type in granite?). Maybe other stones as well, but mostly that. The brown seems to work by default because brown is a default color (and from what I can see the stones are already that color, more or less?).

From what I can see of the color tag, it would be possible to make stone brown (6:0), light magenta (5:1), and red (4:0 and 4:1), but these colors are a little too... bright. The dye colors, on the other hand, provide lots of possibilities. But I don't believe it's possible to assign dye colors to stones, correct?

[ November 25, 2007: Message edited by: Nakar ]

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Coloration for Greater Differentiation?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 04:03:00 pm »

For now, the display is limited to 16 colors, and dyes are simply represented with the closest of those 16 colors, I think.  I'd like this restriction to be removed too, but at the same time you have to think about how much effort would go into defining the ranges of hex values for displaying every single material.  Think about worrying about materials that could take multiple hues, such as granite, as you suggested; I'm not sure how that would even be done.