Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: [38c]Minerals mod v1.76, Alchemy, Infusion, and Stone Se  (Read 15694 times)

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [38c]Minerals mod v1.76, Alchemy, Infusion, and Stone Se
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2008, 12:30:00 am »

My dwarves will wield the power of pole cats forged of pure unobtainium!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2008, 02:29:00 am »

quote:
Alternative Rapidshare link

There you go.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2008, 12:10:00 pm »

Thank you!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2008, 01:04:00 pm »

Looking around a bit and Ive found a metal that dwarves can feasibly get their hands on: Osmiridium/Irridosmium. Both names refer to an alloy of Irridium and Osmium, which can appear natively in small quantities in platinum veins. Im sure Dwarves could extract it by taking advantage of different melting points.

No idea how you would represent its extreme rarity though. Maybe making it appear as wafers and theres a small chance of getting a wafer from a native platinum nugget?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2008, 02:22:00 pm »

Hm. Heh, I can add it. Indeed it does appear in platinum deposits. I don't have any info on the stuff though.

Here's what I can think of. There should be a chance for one piece to appear in a native platinum outcropping, however that piece would be "laced platinum nugget", and the rock wall itself would still be seen as platinum, so you wouldn't be able to recognize it until you mined it. Even then, to harvest iridium (one 'r') you'd need a lot of such laced stones. If you're impatient, you can collect 3 pieces and get one osmiridium bar. If you're more patient, you'll collect 5 and get one iridiosmium bar. It's completely out of whack as far as realism goes, but I have absolutely no info on the thing. And since it requires aqua regia (the mix of some two acids, something like sulphuric and nitric, or whatever), it will have to go into the alchemy extension. Personally I disapprove of the alchemy stuff, so I'll separate it into a different file so I can turn it off for myself, including gold amalgamation. Not that I don't like it, it's just not right until we've got the alchemist lab for reactions and proper ingredients.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2008, 02:34:00 pm »

I totally support your point of view - the usual smelting is not enough to make complicated reactions as alchemy tasks, so I hope we'll get the alchemy lab reactions moddable in next releases, until then it's temporary.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2008, 03:23:00 pm »

I hate it when someone steals my thunder (great minds think alike, Ramirez!  :). I was going to make a post about those real-world, but incredibly rare, Platimun Family minerals. Iridium and Osmium, in particular, are pretty incredible substances. But, they're so rare and hard to refine that getting enough to make anything out of them is rather...problematic. That said, though, they'd be right at home in a fantastic setting like DF. Unfortunately, the best resource I had about the metals in that group is gone, the new edition of McCreight's Complete Metalsmith doesn't have the nifty-keen section on the rarer members of the platinum family. If you wiki a bit you'll find all the relevant information, just not in such a user-friendly form. I was trying to noodle a way to get SMALL quantities from Platinum in-game, but it looks like Sean is way ahead of me.

Some things definitely do NOT need to be added though...beryllium bronze and cadmium plating (at forging temperature) are horribly toxic, and we don't want a bunch of heavy-metal poisoned dwarves falling into the magma pit.

Rochndil, sometime blacksmith, jeweler, and DF-fan!

Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2008, 06:09:00 pm »

How about mercury? Would be a nice metal addition.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2008, 11:05:00 am »

Mercury melts at room temperature. Unless you know a way to enforce a cold environment, even smelting it can be troublesome. Storing (and handling) it would be very difficult as well, plus the poisoning issue we can't currently reflect on.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2008, 04:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>Mercury melts at room temperature. Unless you know a way to enforce a cold environment, even smelting it can be troublesome. Storing (and handling) it would be very difficult as well, plus the poisoning issue we can't currently reflect on.</STRONG>
This would probably be rather hacky, but is there a way to extract mercury into vials?  Perhaps it could make a 'plant' that gets extracted to vials at the farmer's workshop?  Yeah, that's kinda hacky.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Akael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2008, 06:52:00 pm »

Hey guys, I found some inobtanium in the middle of a farm in my new fortress, only five minutes old. Is this going to be a bad thing? Will it set my plump helmets on fire and make it rain evil nobles?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2008, 11:34:00 pm »

Not really. I don't remember anything bad happening when I tested the stuff. It's nothing too special, but bear in mind that you need a LOT of inobtanite to get one inobtanuim bar. Like, 10 stones per bar.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2008, 10:48:00 am »

Whee, new "metal"!  :p

Dwarven law enforcement!

I figured I might as well make rubber trees useful. It's a metal as far as I'm concerned, it melts and can be cast into shape (though probably not forged).

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2008, 12:59:00 pm »

Bumpity. Double release!  :D

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2008, 04:33:00 am »

GAAH1!1!!!!!! O_O

How the hell.....

Damnity damn damn. I think I should have refrained from working on the mod, let alone releasing it, at 3.00AM...
And the same trouble's in the martial mod....

Guess the system can't be foolproof if the fool's making the system, huh?   :)

:(

[ May 15, 2008: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9