Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: [38c]Minerals mod v1.76, Alchemy, Infusion, and Stone Se  (Read 15690 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: [38c]Minerals mod v1.76, Alchemy, Infusion, and Stone Se
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2008, 12:42:00 pm »

The thing is, I thought it worked. I even got a stone of bone mass at some point. But now I can't seem to get it right again. Something's wrong with those bones.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Melloth

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf. The other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2008, 02:59:00 pm »

Oh well, that's alright. The idea was nice though  :)
Is that the rush of water I'm hearing?

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2008, 03:12:00 pm »

Your current item token says to use BONE when the wiki says that bones are called BONES.
I'll try the modification and let you know.

Well it didn;t work but I did find this out, the error log tells me that the game doesn't recognize the item token BONE but it does recognize BONES.
Also it may not of work because I was using elves and unicorns.

[ April 20, 2008: Message edited by: THLawrence ]

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »

I've been using your mod for a bit. It's quite nice. But:

- Yeah, the 'hardened bone mass' doesn't seem to work at all for me, either. I eventually deleted it.

- There are some minor bugs in the files for the latest release. One of the mirrorsteel reactions is flawed - it requires something like [REAGENT:7:STEEL] when it should require [REAGENT:7:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL] . (Not sure on what the original said.) In addition, reaction_man_sel_hack has
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:RAW_INOBTANIUM] where it should have [REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:INOBTANITE] . Neither of these result in crashes, but the first one makes mirrorsteel manufacturable without steel, and the second one spams the errorlog.

Anyway! Carry on with the good work.

[ April 21, 2008: Message edited by: Cavalcadeofcats ]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2008, 07:55:00 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000674

Take these reactions in =).

Ignore white gold though (and note that it's 1-to-5 generally, so if you don't mind, fix it a bit   :)).

[ May 05, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2008, 12:19:00 pm »

Alright, I added your alchemical experiments to this, with some alterations.

Firstly, there's sulphur in the vanilla game already - it's called brimstone.
Then, I lowered stannite appearance rates somewhat.
Then, wootz steel and nordic gold. These shouldn't exist in DF under these names. I thought of "pattern steel" for wootz, since that's its distinct trait, and "mint gold" for nordic gold, since it's for minting coins mostly.
And where'd you find platinit? Wikipedia only has a german stub on it, and I haven't been able to find more info than that provided, that it's an iron-nickel alloy similar externally to platinum. I guess it's pretty advanced (or recently discovered), so I think it's out of the bounds set for my mod, but I'll leave it in for now.
I altered a few more reaction names, fixed ridiculous errors (white gold in the nordic gold reaction, 4 aluminum to 1 copper for aluminum bronze, etc) and merged it all together nicely. I'll upload a new version, you have a look-see and tell me if you like it.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2008, 03:17:00 pm »

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!  BWAHAAA!!! I succeeded!!!

[REACTION:TEMPER_BONES1]
[NAME:make hardened bone mass]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BONES:NO_SUBTYPE:NO_MATGLOSS:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:SKELETANITE]
[FUEL]

See separate thread.

This is going in as an express update. IT WOOOORKS!!!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2008, 03:44:00 pm »

Ouch, a brimstone!
I didn't lnow that, thank you for the information =).

About platinite: I saw it in my laboratory in university =).
Also there's a russian wiki stub arcticle about it.

[ May 05, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

ArchMageOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2008, 10:59:00 pm »

Here's an interesting reaction that might be considered for inclusion (taken from Wikipedia, as usual): Raw ilmenite is refined by decreasing the iron content. Carbon (anthracite) is used to convert some of the iron oxide in the ilmenite to metallic iron. The products of this process are molten iron (pig iron) and a slag rich in titanium.

The titanium may not be obtainable as a metal, but titanium dioxide is a bright white pigment, which could be used as a dye. (BTW, rutile only needs to be ground to get this pigment.)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2008, 01:38:00 am »

The only note: I think the aluminium bronze is more bronze alternative, than iron =).

Btw I played today morning and your new bone material is great! I've made a small palace-of-bone =). I love it.

[ May 06, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2008, 02:05:00 am »

The al-bronze has the same value as iron, and its specs are close to iron. I think it's a nice iron alternative, even if a little rare, but you can often find yourself with copper and aluminum but no iron, especially if you start in non-standard territories.

I'll keep thinking of new metals to make.

Chugunium - pig iron with decreased carbon content (you smelt two iron bars with one coke for two bars). Still not useful for much, but makes sturdy crafts. Too brittle for weapons or armor though.

White bronze - normally called phosphorus bronze. Normal bronze with a phosphate-bearing rock added to the smelt. Slightly harder. (plus the apatite and phosphorite rocks).

Red brass - aka gunmetal. Something in between brass and bronze, made with copper, tin, and zinc, but with qualitites near that of iron.

I'll consider cobalt, but we need a really good reason to add it in...

[ May 06, 2008: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2008, 04:07:00 am »

Alright, cobalt is VERY convoluted in making, but seems realistic as it can be made without electricity, and was discovered quite a while back. We don't need 100% pure cobalt, but we'll call it cobalt nonetheless.

Alright, the system seems to work like this: cobaltite is melted down, the result is washed with hydrochloric acid, then the solution is cooled with limestone and sodium hyposulfite to precipitate cobalt trioxide, which is then reduced with charcoal. So the ingredients seem to be: cobaltite, limestone, brimstone and rock salt for the acid and hyposulfite. All for one slug of something we could call cobalt. I got pretty tangled up in the whole thing (I had to look through like 8 pages simultaneously), so if anyone has any insights on making cobalt "the old way" please correct me.

Now, for the alloys I found in the wiki:

Stellite & Talonite - both cobalt-chromium alloys with trace carbon content. However, it is important to note that stellite is ver hard to work with, as it's very hard, and it has to be cast into shape, while talonite can (or could, with dwarves) be forged, because of specific hardening techniques. The end result is two identically nice metals, except Stellite is only for Armor, Ammo, and Anvils (AAA-class?) and is slightly better blocking, and Talonite is only for Weapons, Ranged, Ammo, and Digger tools, and is slightly stronger on attack.

Alnico - magnetic compound of aluminum, nickel, cobalt, copper, and iron. I suppose we should use some other name for it. That, and it's only special for is magnetic effects that we can't replicate in DF. So, I guess it should be just an expensive decorative metal. Maybe the name could be something like "seashine" for the blue color of cobalt?

Vitallium - a cobalt-chromium-molybdenum alloy that's used in dentistry and turbochargers (if you ever though what could be common between dentistry and turbochargers, it's this). Lightweight, hard, and temperature-resistant. The hame's great for an armor-metal, so I guess it's steel-quality on attack, and some 160% on defence, and lightweight to boot. It's hella valuable though.

There's also an unidentified alloy named Megallium, that has no page for it. With such a name, I suggest make a use of the Lamshinral ore, vanadium/chromium, pig iron, cobalt of course, all interwoven with graphite fibers. It's going to be the second superalloy in the mod, next to Isrirkadankel, the mirrorsteel/lamshinral alloy. The Isrirkadankel's formula is Steel+chrome+molybdenum+nickel+kelshinral+cementite, while megallium would be Steel+chrome+vanadium+cobalt+kelshinral+fibers. Megallium would be easier to obtain and somewhat less efficient, but still way better than steel.

Opinions?

I'll do some more experiments and update the mod again. Somehow I didn't save the BAR:STEEL thing that was reported in mirrorsteel...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2008, 06:42:00 am »

I'm waiting for the next release. I will try to think of some more useful alloys, but it becomes a bit hard due to a lot of already added =).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2008, 04:40:00 pm »

Alright, I'm putting the next release up.

Main:
New metals: Chugunium, Red brass, White bronze, Cobalt, Stellite, Talonite, Aromistrum, Vitallium, Megallium.
New stones: Apatite, Phosphorite.

Infusion:
Steel added. Made either normally, but using pig iron with infused iron, or by just infusing ready steel.

Errors corrected.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2008, 10:29:00 pm »

Can you upload this somewhere else? I can't get files from DFFD due to referer error.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9