Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: [38c]Minerals mod v1.76, Alchemy, Infusion, and Stone Se  (Read 15688 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: [38c]Minerals mod v1.76, Alchemy, Infusion, and Stone Se
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2008, 02:00:00 am »

Partly, yeah.  :)

Diamonds or no diamonds, kimberlite is relatively rare, and geologically, it's more sound to have it as an igneous intrusive (i.e. volcanic, like obsidian or basalt) layer than a few scattered pockets.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2008, 09:53:00 am »

Obsidian and basalt are igneous extrusive. Not intrusive. But good to know. Now I can start on a blue mountain.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2008, 06:12:00 pm »

I've been looking at my tools (I assemble furniture from time to time), and noticed "chrome-vanadium" imprinted on the wrenches.

So, the new update now contains:

Erythronium - basically a ferrous vanadium compound.
Ironbright - a metal more or less the same as steel, but (arguably) easier to acquire - you need four bars of iron and two flux stones (to make two ferrovanadium bars), and one bar of chromium, for five bars of the stuff. It strikes slightly weaker than steel, but is harder and offers better protection.

I also highly endorse experimentation with this:
Graphite fiber - a thread of a nonexistant (theoretically) plant, you can process graphite into this, highly useful thread.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

tychoruniko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2008, 03:37:00 pm »

I love the idea. More metals, more recipes! I will try it out now.
The Dwarves' iconic beard may appear to be made out of facial hair, but its appearance is deceptive. What appears to be long, braided locks is actually a complex organ, which filters alcohol out of the bloodstream much like a human liver. But rather than discard the alcohol as a waste product, it is burned and converted into energy, which explains the lethargy apparent in dwarves that have gone many days without a good drink.

To put it simply: the dwarf is a booze-powered rock-breaker.

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2008, 07:43:00 pm »

I'm glad this is addressed. I've been playing DF for a few months now. What struck me as absurd was the lack of adundant quartz and a definte lack of other raw gems... especially since stone tends to run in veins... and there's LOTS of it!

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2008, 01:33:00 am »

Needs more cobalt.

Proceeding to add cobalt to this for own uses.

t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2008, 03:22:00 am »

It may "need" cobalt, but I'm more or less inclined to only include materials dwarves would realistically be able to make. We similarly "need" titanium, tungsten, uranium, and the rest of 'em metals.

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2008, 11:17:00 pm »

Dwarves can make steel. And steel doesn't melt in Dwarf Fortress magma.

Cobalt does not melt in real-life magma. Thus, by logic, dwarves can make cobalt. (Then again, maybe it should be a percentage chance of getting cobalt from cobaltite. <_< )

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2008, 11:52:00 pm »

Alright, maybe. Any specific use for cobalt you might suggest? I've got most niches of "superhard metal" covered, and I'm rapidly running out of names, especially with the other project I'm thinking about...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2008, 02:10:00 am »

I just thought of something...  Make a metal that has a ridiculously hot temperature, and then make it smeltable from a specific very-rare ore.  As soon as it appears in the smelter, the furnace operator will get toastied and the smelter itself will probably get blasted, but now you've got a chunk of ultra-hot metal lying around.

Place the smelter in a three-tile wide hallway, draft some useless dwarf to furnace operation, and make the metal there.  Once it's completed, forbid everything in that area.

You now have a hallway trap which will melt attacking goblins and all their equipment to goo.  

Utterly unrealistic, completely absurd, but the metling trap just seems like too cool of an idea to pass up trying.  I'll do it myself at some point with a modded fire-race that can "take the heat", and then see if it actually would melt invaders.  I'm writing this here because it came to me and I needed to write it down before I forgot about it.  Just happened to be your thread.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2008, 03:25:00 am »

Ive ever missed some glowing Metals so can you use Cobalt, Silver and some of your Fantasy metals for "Iluminium" which schould be a little like cooper please? Also please add "Green Gold" a alloy from Gold(6bars), Silver(3 Bars) and Cadmium(1 Bar).

[ April 07, 2008: Message edited by: Heph ]

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2008, 09:53:00 am »

Kagus, that particular idea is part of the project I'm thinking about.

Base iron can be "infused" with the essence of valuable gems (value 40 and up), providing bonuses to attack, defence, or making the material lightweight or specific to making ammo/weapons/armor. Heated and cold materials are also available.

From that infused iron, steel and other alloys can be made, that retain the properties.

So far I've run into several problems.

Firemetals burn through pretty much anything very fast. A special "guard" alloy with a fixed temperature in the normal range, used for armor, doesn't negate that for some reason. I guess the system is more convoluted than I hoped. Maybe the frost-metals will do it, but you'd have to do some wild microing to get the dwarves put on just one gauntlet of frostmetal, and get the firebrand sword in that same hand.
I haven't yet been blessed with a graphite fiber quiver, so I can't test the feasibility of firebrand arrows. So far they just incinerate all clothing on the character within 10 steps.
After I've sorted the stuff, however, all those metals will be marked deep, so that they don't spontaneously appear in adventure mode.

Current names of the alloys:
Iron+Ruby=Crimson Iron (140/40 balance shift)
Iron+Star Ruby=Blood-Iron (180/10 balance shift)
Iron+Sapphire=Thunder-Iron (60/130 balance shift)
Iron+Star Sapphire=Storm-Iron (30/160 balance shift)
Iron+Diamond=Clear Iron (50% weight, 8% boost)
Iron+Red Diamond=Searing Iron (2500 deg. costant temperature, 130 damage)
Iron+Green Diamond=Flight-Iron (33% weight, 140 damage, ammo only)
Iron+Blue Diamond=Frigid Iron (-250 deg. constant temperature, 140 defence)
Iron+Yellow Diamond=Guard Iron (180 defence, 80% weight, armor only)
Iron+Black Diamond=Death Iron (160 damage, weapon only, very narrow temperature thresholds)

Plus the derivative alloys of iron.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2008, 10:23:00 am »

I dont think your Fire-Metals will work for normal dwarfes until they have glothes with fixed Temp and a Meltingpoint over the 2500 C° of the aloy. Same for Icemetals.

Can you Stackdump one bar of your Firemetal and some Normal rocks? I was just wondering if you could create magma from the normal rocks by melting them.

Does the FireMetal heat up the Area around it or only the tile the bar is dumped on?

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2008, 08:34:00 pm »

Why do we need cobalt?

Because there's no plain blue metal available.

Also, let's put it this way: an additive to steel to give it a better edge and make it slightly more durable.

Melloth

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf. The other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2008, 09:19:00 am »

I had a question about hardened bone mass. I have plenty bones, and I looked at the raw and uh.. I made one bar of ashes. I added a 'make hardened bone mass' in the work orders and it tells me i need a bone item.
So my question is: How exactly does it work?
Is that the rush of water I'm hearing?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9