Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: [38c]Minerals mod v1.76, Alchemy, Infusion, and Stone Se  (Read 15684 times)

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
Re: [38c]Minerals mod v1.76, Alchemy, Infusion, and Stone Se
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2008, 09:30:00 am »

I was looking at this mod and noticed that the inobtanium stone has the deep tag. Now while this does mean that traders will never bring it it also means that if you happen to hit it, it will count as hitting adamantium and the king will come in the next immigration wave. I do not believe this is very smart since there is only a 2% chance that smelting will produce anything. Also its damage is far to high.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2008, 11:28:00 am »

You can trade for it. You can bring it at embark. And if you look closely, you can find it in certain types of stone. I might up the ore percentage though, 50 stones for one bar might indeed be too much. The deep tag only means that it is used as the demon-plug.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2008, 06:02:00 pm »

Alright, time to bring this back from the dead.

I'm going to update soon.

So far, this has been done:

Rebalanced inobtanium. 10 rocks per bar, and less ridiculous damage and cost.
Introduced everal minor metals, like magnesium, manganese, chromium, molybdenum, and cementite.
Introduced white gold. More valuable gold alloyed with nickel.
Introduced silversteel. Lightweight, slightly better than normal steel, worth more too. An alloy of silver, aluminum, pig iron, and dwarven awesomeness.
Introduced kerasteel. Slightly better than steel. "Kera" is human for "superior". Made with steel and cementite.
Introduced duralium. A more powerful version of aluminum. Made with aluminum, manganese and magnesium.
Introduced magnalium. A more powerful version of aluminum. Made with aluminum and magnesium.
Introduced mirrorsteel. Heavy, but quite more powerful and valuable than steel. An alloy of pig iron, chromium, molybdenum, and nickel.

I'll try to balance this all out, but with rare exceptions these are mostly for flavor.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2008, 07:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>Rebalanced inobtanium. 10 rocks per bar, and less ridiculous damage and cost.

Introduced silversteel. Lightweight, slightly better than normal steel, worth more too. An alloy of silver, aluminum, pig iron, and dwarven awesomeness.
Introduced kerasteel. Slightly better than steel. "Kera" is human for "superior". Made with steel and cementite.
Introduced duralium. A more powerful version of aluminum. Made with aluminum, manganese and magnesium.
Introduced magnalium. A more powerful version of aluminum. Made with aluminum and magnesium.
Introduced mirrorsteel. Heavy, but quite more powerful and valuable than steel. An alloy of pig iron, chromium, molybdenum, and nickel.</STRONG>

Inobtanium:  If it's ultrarare and only usable in large quantities, why bother?

Silversteel & friends:  I still recommend adding some fantastic component if you're going to add fantastic alloys.  And why do I have the strange urge to create something that uses rock instruments (pun!) as reagents?

Kerasteel:  Bonus point for adding some flavor from the language files.

Duralium & Magnalium:  Been taking metallurgy courses or something?

Mirrorsteel:  You don't have to make it stronger than steel.  The value alone is sufficiently interesting.  We already have some three or four bronze alloys whose only difference is value and composition.  I think pewter's the same way.  There's no real problem having a more expensive steel variant.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2008, 01:43:00 am »

Inobtanium: because. It's not only ultrarare and such. It's at least 220% more powerful than adamantine, though a lot heavier. It's also a demonplug material.

Duralium/magnalium: I've been reading a lot of wikipedia lately.  :)

Kerasteel is the only fitting name I could think of for bulat. I am russian, and bulat has a special place in folklore.

Mirrorsteel is stainless steel, and it is indeed a lot more durable than steel.

Silversteel is the "more expensive steel", that's the same steel, just lighter. If you're so keen on having a metamagical material to go with it, I'll add "kelshinral", dwarven "silvershine metal". It will be decorative, but alloyed with steel it will make silversteel.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2008, 08:41:00 am »

Mirrorsteel:  Never heard that name for it before.  Thought it was one you just made up.

Silversteel:  If it's supposed to be a real alloy, make it act like a real alloy.  If not, at least give it an unreal component.  's all I'm sayin'.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2008, 09:08:00 am »

Mirrorsteel is a name I made up, yes, but it is a name made up for stainless steel.

Silversteel is not any real alloy, so alright, I'll add an "unreal" ingredient to the mix.

Here's the complete change list for metals:

-Chromium. Decorative metal. Smelted from chromite (requires aluminum) or from native ores.
-Magnesium. Ingredient metal. Smelted from powdered dolomite, requires carbon.
-Manganese. Ingredient metal. Smelted from pyrolusite.
-Molybdenum. Rare ingredient metal. Smelted from molybdenite, a rare mineral present in chalcopyrite veins in granite and diorite.
-Cementite. Not technically a metal, but qualifies as such as it is a byproduct of smelting pig iron or steel.
-Kelshinral, "Silvershine". Decorative metal, valuable, rare. Smelted from "Lamshinral", a rare ore found in silver and aluminum deposits.
-White gold. Decorative metal. Smelted from gold and nickel.
-Silversteel. Similar in performance to steel, yet a lot lighter and slightly more valuable. Smelted as steel with addition of Kelshinral.
-Kerasteel. Slightly harder than steel. Is, in essence, steel retempered in presence of cementite.
-Magnalium. Aluminum hardened with magnesium. Used for armor and ranged weapons. Lightweight, yet noticeably worse than iron.
-Duralium. Aluminum hardened with manganese and magnesium. Used for armor and ranged weapons. Lighter and harder than magnalium.
-Mirrorsteel. Steel forged with nickel, molybdenum and chromium. Much more valuable and noticeably harder.

There is going to be one more, I just need to finalize a name for it.

I may have reversed the dural/magnal relation (in that magnal is harder that dural, as per the wiki), but the name "duralium" sounds "harder", so to speak.

I also allowed certain noble metals to be used in ammo and weapon construction - namely, silver, gold, aluminum (armor too), and lead (ammo only  :)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2008, 10:54:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>I may have reversed the dural/magnal relation (in that magnal is harder that dural, as per the wiki), but the name "duralium" sounds "harder", so to speak.</STRONG>

That's easily fixed.  I won't complain.

Also, I assume the reactions for your new alloys use quasi-realistic proportions.  We probably shouldn't create metal X using a 1:1 ratio of metals A and B when in reality metal X uses a 1:10 ratio (or 1:1000, or whatever).

quote:
<STRONG>I also allowed certain noble metals to be used in ammo and weapon construction - namely, silver, gold, aluminum (armor too), and lead (ammo only    :p).</STRONG>

This will have the undesireable consequence of making those metals extremely common.  We'll probably see (mostly useless yet extremely expensive) gold weapons and aluminum armor everywhere.  Well, maybe not everywhere.  I think humans, dwarves, and goblins will still use iron and steel since they're strong.  Kobolds, with the LOW_METALS (or whatever) tag, will probably run around with all sorts of gold gear.

[ February 21, 2008: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2008, 11:38:00 am »

Aluminum and gold are worse than copper, for the most part, so no sane race (not even the minor_metal ones) will prefer silver/gold over copper or bronze. Upon further consideration, I removed golden and aluminum weapons, but made aluminum ranged weapons - made sense to me. And the advanced metals have the [DEEP] tag, so they won't bother you in adventure mode unless you trade them a lot, and you won't get mirrorsteel as embark weapon material. 850 coins returned for one is good for starting, but kinda bad for balance.

The "funny alloys" as I call them don't, of course, respect realistic proportions of minerals, because that's unfeasible at the moment, that with there being no way to tell a reaction to use a fraction of an item. However, it's not 1:1 either.

Mirrorsteel takes 7 steel bars (or pig iron equivalent with flux and coal) and 1 of each chromium, molybdenum, and nickel, to produce 10 bars.
Duralium uses 1 bar of manganese/magnesium per 5 of aluminum, to make 7 bars, and magnalium takes 1 bar of magnesium and 4 bars of aluminum to make 5 bars.

Silversteel is a different beast, since it takes a "metametal". You use 2 bars of steel (or equivalent) and 1 silvershine bar to make 3 bars.

With any luck, I'll update today, so you'll have a chance to check out and comment whatever you see.  ;)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2008, 12:32:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>The "funny alloys" as I call them don't, of course, respect realistic proportions of minerals, because that's unfeasible at the moment, that with there being no way to tell a reaction to use a fraction of an item. However, it's not 1:1 either.

Mirrorsteel takes 7 steel bars (or pig iron equivalent with flux and coal) and 1 of each chromium, molybdenum, and nickel, to produce 10 bars.
Duralium uses 1 bar of manganese/magnesium per 5 of aluminum, to make 7 bars, and magnalium takes 1 bar of magnesium and 4 bars of aluminum to make 5 bars.</STRONG>

That's all I ask, really.  I know that high end alloys typically measure their trace element content in ppm, ppb, and other minute quantities.  It'd be retarded to add a reaction with correct proportions.  The 1:7 or 1:4 ratios in your reactions sound fine to me.

I suppose an alternative would be to require but "not consume" the manganese or whatever, but only sometimes.  You could use a 1:2 manganese/aluminum reagent ratio that produces 2 bars of magnalium 100% of the time and 1 bar of manganese 50% of the time, or whatever.  There's always the risk that you use up the bar in the first reaction, though.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2008, 01:04:00 pm »

Retarded. But fun. I can just imagine a reaction that uses 1248 aluminum bars and 1 bar of magnesium, to produce 1249 magnalium bars. Very dwarven.

Human - "But isn't it more convenient to just cut a piece away from a bar?"
Dwarf - "Convenient? Bah!! How'd ye expect us ta COUNT da thing afterwards?"

:)

And I've got my connection back now. Updating in 5.. 4.. ...

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>Retarded. But fun. I can just imagine a reaction that uses 1248 aluminum bars and 1 bar of magnesium, to produce 1249 magnalium bars. Very dwarven.</STRONG>

Might I recommend adding SPEED:0, NO_EAT, NO_DRINK, NO_SLEEP, NOTHOUGHT, and NOEMOTION to your dwarves so they actually complete that job?   :p

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »

*smack*.
Sean Mirrsen strikes the Keyboard in the body with his head!
It is mangled!
The R key is mangled!
The H key is bruised!
The G key is mangled!
The U key flies off in an arc!
The N key flies off in an arc!
And so on.

I kinda forgot to add molybdenum. I mean, I referenced the metal everywhere I needed, but I forgot to make the actual entry in the raws.

Considering that now, should I have noticed it earlier, I might have reconsidered mirrorsteel...  Molybdenum melts at a whopping 2600 degrees!!! I guess I will, later...  I overlooked that bit somehow.

Oh well. I'll problably keep it like this. Still, the molybdenum entry is missing, so I'll add it. If you get artifact full plate armor out of it, you can shower in magma (if you can wear it). I guess it still factors to dwarven awesomeness...

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2008, 06:32:00 pm »

To explain those reactions that shouldn't take place due to high melting points (melting down adamantine items comes to mind), pretend your dwarves got their hands on some crazy future technology like nanolathes (TA anyone?) or something.  So the smelter isn't really just a smelter.  Smelting's just a bonus feature.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2008, 07:55:00 pm »

I was trying out your mode and did you mean to make kimberlite an igneous intrusive layer? I know diamonds are hard to find but seriously, we don't need an entire mountain of the stuff.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9