Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: [38c]Minerals mod v1.76, Alchemy, Infusion, and Stone Se  (Read 15687 times)

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
Re: [38c]Minerals mod v1.76, Alchemy, Infusion, and Stone Se
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 11:45:00 am »

is it as common as tungsten?
The New Moo!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »

No. But it has certain properties that make it similar. It's a demon-plug metal, too, but is present in normal (albeit ultra-rare) circumstances as well.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Krom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 01:04:00 pm »

LIGNITE_TO_COKE reaction is in there twice, exactly the same.

PEAT_TO_CHARCOAL is in there twice, although the second is actually a peat to ash reaction.

The peat reactions are completely useless unless you have a magma smelter, and even then are of dubious value. Maybe that's exactly as intended, but I wanted to check.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 02:03:00 pm »

Yikes....

Uh, there's a bit more than that that's wrong...

Anyways, it's fixed. Will update soon.

The peat to charcoal and peat to ash reactions are barely useful, but it still provides a use for peat (realistic, at that) and an additional source of "meta-wood" for using as fuel or ash source.

In case you're wondering, it does not use peat (as it's a soil) but a "peatstone" that looks and acts exactly like peat, except it leaves a "stone" behind that can be used. The peatstone has spawn rates set to maximum possible, in peat.

edit: uh, in what exactly way are the peat reactions "useless unless you have a magma smelter?..."

Ah!... *facepalms*...

Alright, fixed that too. No, it was not intended to be that way.

[ January 28, 2008: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 05:57:00 pm »

well see.. my reasoning behind using tungsten was to have a second 'steel' :P not a second adamantium.. perhaps a little less damaging then steel.. but with a similar heat tolerance and a bit more common (since there is only one ore as opposed to 3)
The New Moo!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 06:27:00 pm »

It's not another adamanitum, at least because you can both find it, and trade for it. However, the stuff is humongously imbalanced - I have never managed to obtain even one bar of it, because you need 50 ores to smelt one bar. It is ridiculously heavy, and ridiculously damaging. My main conceived purpose for it was rather humorous - meaning bolts, with each bolt weighing about as much as an anvil. I'll probably tweak it down later.

I was thinking about adding similar materials - mithril, handwavium, impossibillium, mainly as alloys of existing supermetals. Tungsten does not qualify, being an existing metal that is not possible to refine within the DF universe. We'll get there at some point, I don't doubt, with electricity generators and various out-of-depth contraptions, but it won't do for now.

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 08:01:00 pm »

eh.. yeah it would be akward to refine in to tungsten.. but it would just be an alchemical process..
The New Moo!

Athmos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 05:10:00 am »

In real life, tungsten weight just about as much as gold. that's heavy enough as it is.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 05:47:00 pm »

If you're thinking of adding imaginary materials, here are a few for ya:

... vaguely Ultima inspired...

code:
[MATGLOSS_METAL:BLACKSTEEL]
   [NAME:blacksteel][ADJ:blacksteel][COLOR:0:0:1]
   [VALUE:40]
   [SPEC_HEAT:500]      steel
   [MELTING_POINT:14765]
   [BOILING_POINT:20806]
   [WEAPON][WEAPON_RANGED]
   [DAMAGE_PERC:200]   200 masterwork iron
            177 iron:bronze ratio applied to steel
   [BLOCK_PERC:200]   200 masterwork iron
            266 masterwork steel
            237 iron:bronze ratio applied to steel twice
   [DEEP]
   [SOLID_DENSITY:13585]   avg( gold, steel )
   ---
   DIGGER
   ARMOR
   ANVIL

[MATGLOSS_STONE:BLACKROCK]
   [NAME:blackrock]
   [COLOR:0:7:1]
   [TILE:219]
   [SHARP]
   [ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
   [VALUE:8]
   [MELTING_POINT:16812]
   [BOILING_POINT:26645]
   [SOLID_DENSITY:19320]   gold
   ---
   [ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_INTRUSIVE:VEIN:30]
   [ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE:VEIN:30]
   [ENVIRONMENT:METAMORPHIC:VEIN:30]

... and accompanying reaction...

code:
[REACTION:BLACKSTEEL_MAKING]
   [NAME:make blacksteel bars]
   [SMELTER]
   [REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]
   [REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:BLACKROCK]
   [PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:BLACKSTEEL]
   [FUEL]

... also mithril plus decorative variant (with an unimaginative Realms-inspired name)...

code:
[MATGLOSS_METAL:ILLITHIUM]
   [NAME:illithium][ADJ:illithium][COLOR:7:7:1]
   [VALUE:80]
   [SPEC_HEAT:130]      platinum
   [FIXED_TEMP:10015]   cavern temperature
   [DEEP]
   [SOLID_DENSITY:100]   100 ultra-light
            380 cedar

[MATGLOSS_METAL:MITHRIL]
   [NAME:mithril][ADJ:mithril][COLOR:7:3:1]
   [VALUE:40]
   [SPEC_HEAT:230]      silver
   [ARMOR]
   [DAMAGE_PERC:75]   75 bronze
   [BLOCK_PERC:150]   150 masterwork bronze
            200 masterwork iron
            177 iron:bronze ratio applied to steel
   [DEEP]
   [SOLID_DENSITY:100]   100 ultra-light
            380 cedar
   ---
   [WAFERS]
   ---
   ANVIL
   ANY_USE

[MATGLOSS_STONE:RAW_MITHRIL]
   [NAME:mithril ore]
   [COLOR:7:0:1]
   [TILE:156]
   [ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
   [VALUE:30]
   [SPEC_HEAT:230]      silver
   [SOLID_DENSITY:100]
   ---
   METAL_ORE:MITHRIL:100
   [THREAD_METAL:MITHRIL:100]
   ---
   [ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_INTRUSIVE:VEIN:30]
   [ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE:VEIN:30]
   [ENVIRONMENT:METAMORPHIC:VEIN:30]
   [ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:VEIN:30]

... plus reactions...

code:
[REACTION:ILLITHIUM_MAKING]
   [NAME:make illithium bars (use wafers)]
   [SMELTER]
   [REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:MITHRIL]
   [REAGENT:1:REACTION_CLASS:FLUX]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ILLITHIUM]
   [FUEL]

[REACTION:ILLITHIUM_MAKING2]
   [NAME:make illithium bars (use thread)]
   [SMELTER]
   [REAGENT:1:THREAD:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:MITHRIL]
   [REAGENT:1:REACTION_CLASS:FLUX]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ILLITHIUM]
   [FUEL]

[REACTION:MITHRIL_WAFERS]
[NAME:make mithril wafers]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:THREAD:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:MITHRIL]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:MITHRIL]
[FUEL]

There is a down side to this:  "Extract metal strands" appears twice in the craftsdwarf workshop.  Each copy works for a different metal (adamantium & mithril), but the name is the same.  It can be confusing.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 12:23:00 pm »

Since I'm trying to keep this in period, there's an inconsistency - Adamantine can't be smelted. I want to have Mithril (Mythril, Mithryl, Me'Thrill, whatever  :) ) as a composite metal, of silver/quicksilver (I think I'll add the damn thing in, just for the heck of it, though some means of holding a quick-melting metal should be devised)/aluminium, and possibly iron or steel. Mithril, when ready, cannot be affected by heat, but that's not entirely the point here - the backstory is that mithil "can be beaten like copper" and becomes strong only after being specifically processed. Inobtanium is currently the anvil material (I have to restrain myself from making and anvil launcher... imagine "the flying +Iron anvil+ strikes the elf in the head!"), mithril will be the featherlight steel, and then we can make some special materials. I want to make fire/ice elemental stones (with high or low fixed temperatures) for whatever use they might have, up to and icluding firestone golems. I also want to try and make some kind of very useful wood...

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2008, 08:58:00 pm »

I kind of don't like the idea of adding mithril, because mithril is the metal that caused the dwarves to dig too deep in LOTR's Moria, and adamantium is playing the role of mithril in Dwarf Fortress. So adding it as a separate material make both adamantium and mithril less interesting.

But whatever, I guess it'll be in a separate file, or we can remove it from the raws - just tell us which sections to remove so we get all the reactions.

Above all, thanks for this nice mod!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2008, 04:36:00 am »

I'm not adding mithril per se. As in, it's not something you could really "delve" for. It's a funny alloy of silver, aluminum, and iron, called "silversteel". It takes a bar of each, plus flux and fuel, to make 3 bars of the stuff. Its worth is not "thrice that of gold", mainly because there is no super-rare ore to link it with (except aluminum...), but I left it at thrice the price of steel. I think about various ways to use silversteel thread (as in, ways that could not be achieved with bars), but the current interface does not allow using metal cloth as normal cloth (at least in a clothesmakers - I'll see what the forge has). The actual properties of it are slightly better than that of steel, and its weight is almost a quarter of steel's.

I don't know whether a silversteel anvil is an altogether sound device - I mean, it's all good for strength, but isn't it too light to, realistically, work on it?

In other news, today I've lost a fort to the aftermath of my modding attempts. Well, actually, I've lost an entire world to that. Y'see, I was trying to make gemstone golems for the Martial arts mod, and experimented with renaming files to make custom matglosses. That particular idea failed, but it left a hidden error, that made a blacksmith of my fort go berserk after wanting to get gemstones...  After a quick rally to defeat him (I was rather sure I could find at least one in time, so didn't bother with defence), I ran a reveal....  sure enough, not a single gem in the entirety of the site. I kinda forgot to rename the mat_stone_gem raw file back to what it was...  :)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2008, 09:21:00 pm »

I don't mind adding fantastic metals to the game, but it bothers me when people create fantastic alloys from real metals, given that Toady has put so much effort into making real materials behave realistically.  A silver-steel-aluminum alloy that doesn't behave like any real silver-steel-aluminum alloy would feel inconsistent with standard DF metallurgy.

Also, regarding anvil weight, I don't see any reason an anvil has to be heavy.  It can't be too soft and it has to remain fairly still.  Iron and steel yield sturdy, heavy anvils.  Adamantine yields sturdy anvils, but they're very lightweight.  Of course, you can bolt one to a heavy base (like the stone you make the forge from, or perhaps the floor) for the necessary stability, regardless of the anvil's weight.

[ February 02, 2008: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2008, 03:11:00 am »

You don't seem to factor dwarven prowess into account. Only the dwarves, in the Tolkien universe (I am aware that this universe bears no relation to that) were able to make a sturdy metal out of mithril, which was mostly a funny polyalloy that posessed intricate properties. The elves made a luminescent decorative polymer out of it, for example.

Anyways. I think that since we already have something to "delve" for - adamantine - I don't think we should add another, except the one I already added, obviously, especially since mithril bears no extraordinary hardness properties, and is soft in its unprepared form.

And with all the "realistic" stuff I've added (I recently went so far as to add gabbro pockets to basalt, as per the wiki), I think I can allow myself some creative pseudorealism.  ;)

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2008, 07:14:00 pm »

Unobtainium... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium
Yes... Made of happiness itself...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9