Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Unit List  (Read 1133 times)

ZombieRacoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Unit List
« on: November 22, 2007, 08:46:00 am »

Is it possible to mod creatures to not appear on the Unit List screen?

I haven't done any modding, but I presume this sort of thing is hard-coded.

Was just wondering if you could fool the unit list screen into thinking that a pack of wolves weren't there, for example.

(I want my wilderness to contain unknown elements).

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: The Unit List
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 09:32:00 am »

[AMBUSHPREDATOR] might do the trick.  It did in the old version.  You also won't be able to see them on the map unless somebody runs into it.

Oddly however, I can't seem to find anything that uses this tag anymore. Hopefully it's still functional.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ZombieRacoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 09:37:00 am »

It's worth a try and could certainly spice things up a bit with the more dangerous animals.

However, my goal is for the Dwarves not to automatically know where everything is (or even what's ON the map) via the unit list.  Turning every last groundhog into a vicious, ambushing predator is a little extreme ;P

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 09:50:00 am »

Ah I was thinking ya just wanted the predators like that.

Unfortunately I don't think ya can.  Even if possible the non aggressive wildlife would likely just run from your dwarves before getting within sneak breaking range, and your dwarves wouldn't see them to give chase.
That would make hunting next to impossible unless your hunters decide to start sneaking the moment they start hunting instead of when they see wildlife.

Sounds like an awesome idea though.

Edit: I just realized things like lungfish and turtles don't show up on the unit list...maybe theres some way to extract the "hidden" tag without turning them into vermin or fish.

[ November 22, 2007: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

ZombieRacoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 09:54:00 am »

As a compromise, I'd happily accept dangerous animals being made more dangerous by not knowing if they are there in the first place.  If my baby daughter ever actually lets me play DF, I'll see if AMBUSHPREDATOR still works..unless someone else wants to try it?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 10:12:00 am »

I did a little unscientific test...

I have hippos on my map. I tossed the ambushpredator tag on the hippos then loaded up the map, since ambushpredator dosn't seem to be one of those tags that would need a new world.  

But the results were inconclusive...the hippos were visible(could be because my "dwarves" saw them and creatures can't go back into sneaking once discovered) and they didn't act any more aggressive than hippos usually do.(the name ambushpredator may have been because as far as I know it was only ever used on aggressive creatures.)

You'd really need a new world to find out for sure, and I'm kinda attached to my current fortress.

ZombieRacoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 10:16:00 am »

I was going to generate a new one next chance I got to try out that gunpowder mod on here.  I'll play around with ambush predator too, but I'm not going to get round to it really soon.

Make a new install of DF in another folder and try in there?

Interesting idea about the turtles etc...I wish I had access to files at work to at least do some research  :)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 01:51:00 am »

Turtles and lungfish are vermin.  Vermin are almost but not entirely unlike tea--I mean normal creatures.