Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Start trek and Smurfs my next great mod....  (Read 2146 times)

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
Start trek and Smurfs my next great mod....
« on: December 14, 2007, 12:14:00 pm »

What ideas do you have?
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Start trek and Smurfs my next great mod....
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 12:54:00 pm »

That you are a good moder whit apparently lots of time that if he actually tried to be creative and come up whit something unique and balanced could actually create something beyond silly jokes.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 01:31:00 pm »

Wait are you dissin my toy mod or the smurf mod???? huh? Cuz it better not be Trek cuz i gotta a news for you that is comin out!
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 01:59:00 pm »

Hurray, batleths. Is that how you spell it?

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 02:22:00 pm »

Star... trek... mod...  for DF? Mining for dilithium? Or trilithium? What could possibly be included in a Star Trek mod until magic (i.e. phasers and disrupters) is implemented?

Yeah, the Enterprise team (all of the teams of all Enterprises) periodically end up in some weird situations, but even if we presume that some relatives of theirs wound up having to dig themselves a home in the mountains - many of the unmoddable game features will prevent the mod from being complete.

Wait until the Army Arc, and Caravans at least. At that point, more stuff can become moddable that will allow you to make the mod at least plausible.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 02:23:00 pm »

Some weird crash landing scenario, or maybe you ar right sean ahhh.

Back to stupid proofreading.....

[ December 14, 2007: Message edited by: berent ]

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 02:34:00 pm »

You can not say that you are not a nerd when you create a star trek mod for dwarf fortress.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 02:36:00 pm »

Or a toy mod hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 02:54:00 pm »

If you need a grand mod idea, I have only one - Phantasy Star Phortress.

Parmanians, Motavians and Desolisians - the three main races.

Various insect-like and quite over-the-top monsters that populate the wilderness - with the random encounters back in the next version, this will be great.

Specific material progressions for weapons and armor. Laser and plasma blades can be figured out, ranged weapons are numerous and mostly viable in DF.

Magic and tech...  well, that must wait until better times.

There's a lot of stuff that can be implemented, from across all iterations of the game. Poisonous spitkills, deadly sand worms, way-too-friendly amoebas, and various variations of gigantic flies should all make the mod a worthwhile experience. Robots can supplement the undead. The only problem will be undead robots...   nah. We've seen worse.

If you need the idea in more detail, I can provide it...

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 06:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by berent:
<STRONG>Wait are you dissin my toy mod or the smurf mod???? huh? Cuz it better not be Trek cuz i gotta a news for you that is comin out!</STRONG>

I am not "dissin" any specific mod of yours, I'm dissin your general moding principle, I think you can do more than just parodies on other mythologies that is impossible because of the technical limitations of the game, and that you should try to create something of your own, something that is unique, balanced, and fits in the game. You can mod fairly well you have time and you have the support of the community, making only smurfmods and similar is like having the power of the gods and using it only to write "fart" in the sky and then laugh at how funny one is, it's a childish waste of recourses, if used properly you could make something that is worth remembering and upgrading as the versions go, and that might be mentioned outside the topic dedicated to it.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 09:11:00 pm »

Ive all ready done some minor stuff related to Phantasy Star Universe. Not much though.  Just added varah koltova and the ability to make photons out of some materials your highly unlikely ever to find within 200 miles of eachother.  But I don't have the patience for a full scale modding project and their currently bumping heads with my custom fortress race.

And on the topic at hand I don't see what the big deal is. If someone wants to do a star trek mod (I admit it is not likely to be able to do some of the fancyer stuff) let them.  Who knows, the project might add some valuable info to the modding community if some of the more obscure things are tried.  And some people may show more interest in dwarf fortress if someone catered to the star treky or smurfy folks.

[ December 14, 2007: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 09:47:00 pm »

Bah, don't listen to Armok. Im sure he'd have you do "something that balanced and worth something ,and a useful blah blah blah run on scentence, no periods absolutely no indentation, is this messing with your brain yet, and no I refuse to use a period, why don't you make me I don't see why I need to use punctuation, and you should really..." without actually suggesting anything all day long.

I would love to take an adventurer to a smurf fortress, and once the army arc comes in (and the 394 subsquent army bugs are fixed) I would love to take 20 dwarves and pit them against 500 smurfs... And laugh when the dwarves win.

And despite the nerdiness associated with star trek, the terrible episodes in some of the series, and the horrible new "star trek" shows they've done recently... Some of it was very good. All good mods are based off something, the more you can stick to it the better. Teldins Underdark mod was going to be based on nothing but what had already been thought up. Prehistoric mod? Same deal. Teldins general mod 2? Ditto. Rome fortress? Ditto.

All good mods are based on something already done. A star trek mod would be just as good as any other mod that involves new creatures/items. Adding [Prefstring:FART] is not what he's doing.

Tell us Armok, what should he mod? Be specific, and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, USE AT LEAST ONE PERIOD FOR EVERY 20 WORDS!

[ December 14, 2007: Message edited by: Wooty ]

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 11:21:00 pm »

... one mod to rule them all...
I am on a hot streak... literally.

Zonhin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 06:32:00 am »

This is a fakepost, I think.
Pages: [1] 2