Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: getting wild animas to breed  (Read 878 times)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
getting wild animas to breed
« on: November 21, 2007, 04:06:00 pm »

after posting in the requests thread i was given this template:
[CREATURE  :DRAGON_SWAMP]
[NAME:swamp dragon:swamp dragons:draconic]
[TILE:'d'][COLOR:2:0:0]
[LARGE_ROAMING]
[MODVALUE:2]
[GENPOWER:2]
[GRASSTRAMPLE:0]
[PREFSTRING:explosiveness]
[DIURNAL]
[FIREBREATH][TRAINABLE]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:15:30]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:3:7]
[BENIGN][MEANDERER][NATURAL][PET]
[PETVALUE:200]
[BODY:QUADRUPED:TAIL:2EYES:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:MOUTH:2WINGS:2HEAD_HORN]
[BODYGLOSS:CLAW_FOOT]
[SIZE:3]
[MAXAGE:10:20]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:0:1:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
[CHILD:1][CHILDNAME:swamp dragon hatchling:swamp dragon hatchlings]
[FAT:4]
[BIOME_SWAMP_TEMPERATE_FRESHWATER]
[BIOME_MARSH_TEMPERATE_FRESHWATER]
[BIOME_SWAMP_TROPICAL_FRESHWATER]
[BIOME_MARSH_TROPICAL_FRESHWATER]
[BIOME_RIVER_TEMPERATE_FRESHWATER]
[BIOME_RIVER_TROPICAL_FRESHWATER]
[BIOME_RIVER_TEMPERATE_BRACKISHWATER]
[BIOME_RIVER_TROPICAL_BRACKISHWATER]
[BIOME_SWAMP_MANGROVE]
[STANDARD_FLESH]
[IGNITE_POINT:11440]
[HOMEOTHERM:10067]
[SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2500]

i noticed however that these dragons breed in the wild, does anyone know what tag caused this since if it could be added to all other creatures hunting would become much more sustainable

Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: getting wild animas to breed
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 04:40:00 pm »

I think animals usually breed in the wild.
This one has Child set to 1, presumably as they explode so often and thus need to breed more.
That probably means it breeds more?
This is all, you know, guesswork.
I've only just started modding myself. What with the sentient worms, flying lungs and horrifyingly immense blobs of living whale fat.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 05:24:00 pm »

Creatures breed naturally and automatically (as long as there's a male and female) it's just that they usually dont stay around on the map long enough to do so successfully.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 09:04:00 am »

I believe the CHILD : (value) refers to how many years a baby animal remains a babe before becoming a fully fledged adult. I may be wrong but I believe this is how it was in the old version. If I could get clarification that'd be great?

[ November 22, 2007: Message edited by: The13thRonin ]

I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 09:17:00 am »

Yes, I'm reasonably sure the child tag just effects the child's age when it becomes an adult.

What you could try is giving them all the [MALE] or [FEMALE] tags.  That will stop them breeding Jurassic Park style.  Theres bound to be another way since mules don't breed but I dunno what the magic tag(or lack of) is.

Edit: woops didn't read the whole post and misunderstood.  Theres not really any way to make them breed more. If you want a metric ton of them just avoid the multiple litter rare tag.  Setting Child to 0 might help a bit too. it might make the children breeding age immediately. But I've never tried it.

EDIT2:Looking through the old wiki I came up with a [LITTERSIZE] tag. Try using [LITTERSIZE:5:10] or somesuch. My example should make it have between 5 and 10 hatchlings.  Still no way to make it do it more often though.
[ November 22, 2007: Message edited by: Greiger ]

[ November 22, 2007: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 07:47:00 pm »

Is there a way to make dwarfs breed more?

I'm trying to make it so I'm not reliant on immigrants to refill my population, and I am trying to make babies be born at age 5 and mature at 10 with [CHILD:10][BABY:5].

But is there some way to make people have twins or triplets, or just "get jiggy" more often, so I have a constantly increasing population?

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Stij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 09:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Metal Chao:
This one has Child set to 1, presumably as they explode so often and thus need to breed more.

Lol, Discworld reference.

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 05:32:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Stij:
<STRONG>
Lol, Discworld reference.</STRONG>

That's what the request was 0:
These ones have not much difference between their default temperature and the temperature at which they set on fire.
It's realistastic 0:

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 05:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Slappy Moose:
<STRONG>Is there a way to make dwarfs breed more?

I'm trying to make it so I'm not reliant on immigrants to refill my population, and I am trying to make babies be born at age 5 and mature at 10 with [CHILD:10][BABY:5].

But is there some way to make people have twins or triplets, or just "get jiggy" more often, so I have a constantly increasing population?</STRONG>

There should be some kind of 'multiplelitterrare' tag in the dwarf entry; eliminate that and your people will get twins/triplets (possibly even more than that).  Also, what you want is not [CHILD:10][BABY:5], but [CHILD:5]; if I understand things correctly, putting things the way you have it would result in it taking a baby 5 years to become a child, and the child another 5 to become an adult, and since it *sounds* like you want your kids to grow up in 5 years and not 10, you want the latter instead.

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 06:17:00 pm »

Thanks. I was not sure about the CHILD:5 thing.

I especially need more kids to be born so I can refill my population, a series of caveins killed 4 people and almost killed another 20, who are bed ridden for at least another year.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.