Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: It was bound to happen; the rather underwhelming GUNPOWD  (Read 4676 times)

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: It was bound to happen; the rather underwhelming GUNPOWD
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2007, 02:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wiles:
<STRONG>I have a question - Where it says skill:hammer, does that mean it's used like a hammer in melee? Could DAMAGE be changed to pierce, and SKILL be changed to spear for it to be used like a gun that has a bayonet?</STRONG>

Short answer: Yes.  Long answer: Yes, though it also means that the hammer skill is what gets trained when you brain your enemy with the gun; making it SKILL:SPEAR to simulate a bayonet will train spear skill instead.  Also, there's no telling what will happen if your bayonet gets stuck on an enemy and you try to shoot it before retrieving it, though probably nothing special actually does.

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2007, 02:51:00 pm »

Can't you have cartridges and bullets as siege ammo, thus allowing the siege workshop to manufacture them, and then use the smelter to combine them with powder into rifle rounds?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2007, 05:00:00 pm »

I wasn't planning siege ammo specifically, but that's what I had in mind!

Unfortunately, it'd still be possible for you to go to the forge and make bullets without gunpowder.

Hmm... If I take the bullets out of the entity file, keep them as ammo, and add a reaction to make wood and bone bullets at the smelter, it should be possible...

Opinions?

I will mod in plastic as a resource.  I will then tweak the Dwarven civ entry so that coins are only made out of plastic, and are called "credit cards".
I will make dwarves purchase things with bushels of credit cards.  It will be a mockery of both systems.
It will be stupid.  But it will be gloriously stupid.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2007, 07:09:00 pm »

Erm... Its not working for me.  I brought a bunch of gunpowder from the embark screen and I've been trying to manufacture iron bullets.  Whenever I select a reaction from the smelter my guy goes there.  Stands there for a few seconds and then completes the job.  No items ever get tasked and nothing is produced.  Though he does gain furnace operator skill.   :)
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2007, 07:12:00 pm »

Now that is intriguing. Can you upload your errorlog for me?
I will mod in plastic as a resource.  I will then tweak the Dwarven civ entry so that coins are only made out of plastic, and are called "credit cards".
I will make dwarves purchase things with bushels of credit cards.  It will be a mockery of both systems.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2007, 07:17:00 pm »

there are no errors as of yet, and thus no errorlog.  Ah well, at least I'm having fun killing deer with wooden bullets.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Slith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2007, 09:21:00 pm »

Personally, I think the guns you've designed in this mod are too advanced, they're practically modern firearms. You're only missing rifling and automatic fire.

I think a more apt level of technology would be muskets, which you guys refer to these weapons as being, but the descriptions provided sound like bolt-action rifles. Though I understand there are limitations to what you can mod, I'll still describe what I think would suit Dwarf Fortress better:

A more medieval design, the bullet would only be a lump of material, (Bone, wood, metal, doesn't matter.) that is muzzle-loaded into the rifle after the gunpowder. Each shot from a rifle is devastating when it hits, but inaccurate; and the rifle itself takes a long time to reload. Thus balancing the weapon against bows and crossbows, which have similar piercing capabilities but fire faster and more accurately.

One of the big advantages of gunpowder weapons in early medieval warfare was psychological. The loud bangs, smoke, and fire from the weapons tended to frighten soldiers unaccustomed to it, even though they were fairly ineffectual compared to bows and crossbows of the time. So a modifier on them that causes the weapon to frighten weak-hearted enemies might work.

Aside from that, I'd certainly recommend reading on some of the history of firearms, the wiki on muskets for instance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musket

[ November 24, 2007: Message edited by: Slith ]

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2007, 09:38:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure changing firing rate, or adding a loading sequence like you described, or adding any sort of psychological effect is impossible at this time.

Personally, I always imagined dwarven muskets as being single-shot, break-action smoothbore weapons. They've already mastered perpetual motion water power, and break-action guns and cased ammo have existed (though not in a reliable form) for maybe three hundred years. Let's just chalk the rest up to dwarven engineering?   ;)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2007, 11:29:00 am »

Wikipedia is great. I found that the last paragraph there, on the bottom, realy helps to explain some of the balancing issues. I think that, since the guns here are made by dwarves, they can be a little more complex. In the future, as more elements of DF are moddable, you will be able to add a great element to the game.

P.S.: See also the Arquebus: there is a comparison of it to the Crossbow and Longbow, and it makes some great points. Definitely consider some of these.
Arki-bus

[ November 25, 2007: Message edited by: PTTG?? ]

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2007, 11:57:00 am »

As stated above, I'm going to be converting most of the data. Between that and my band, the next update will come tuesday or wednesday.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2007, 05:25:00 pm »

Suggestion:  Shotgun or equivalent that deals GORE damage.  If only AMMO understood CRITTHREAT so you could whoa back the critical hits compared to standard bullets with their PIERCE damage and all.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2008, 02:40:00 am »

Well, any new news? This mod just needs a little more polish, like making ammo consistently and not being able to make chairs out of bullets. Would love to see some updates!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2008, 03:10:00 am »

Y'know, if you don't want conflicts between crossbows and muskets, you could just go all out and say screw the medieval part.  Make a future-ish mod, not quite rayguns, but still considered future by the current game standards.

Pity you can't change the icon(s) for flying projectiles.  A small bullet-dot would seem far more appropriate than a flying stick.

Also, have you added sulphur (brimstone) into the gunpowder mix?  It is one of the real ingredients, after all.  And it adds another rare stone that you have to turn some other rock into if you want to make gunpowder.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2008, 12:16:00 pm »

Thread resurrection commencing.
How's the mod going?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4