Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: It was bound to happen; the rather underwhelming GUNPOWD  (Read 4675 times)

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: It was bound to happen; the rather underwhelming GUNPOWD
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 05:54:00 pm »

Final testing is in progress; once I get back home later tonight I'll finalize the mod and put it up.
I will mod in plastic as a resource.  I will then tweak the Dwarven civ entry so that coins are only made out of plastic, and are called "credit cards".
I will make dwarves purchase things with bushels of credit cards.  It will be a mockery of both systems.
It will be stupid.  But it will be gloriously stupid.

Vay'lon

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 07:35:00 pm »

Now all you need to do is make ballistas into gatling guns.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 08:55:00 pm »

Or bombards.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 10:13:00 pm »

v0.9 is out! Download

How to use:

First, go to the smelter. combine 2 charcoal and 1 saltpeter to get gunpowder. combine gunpowder with any of the listed metals to get cartridges. combine  cartridges with any of the listed materials to get your base material for bullets. Forge this into bullets.

Forge a pistol (1h, can be used with a shield) or a musket (2h, more damaging). Humans can carry long rifles. These are too large for a dwarf to wield, but are capable of scoring more critical hits.

Draft someone and order him to take a crossbow. He should pick up that boomstick you just made.

Welcome to the gunpowder age! The craftsdwarf workshop will turn out bone and wood bullets for practice, in case your marksdwarves are too sober to shoot straight.

Alternately, come back with an adventurer, claim the goods, and play a gunslinger.

Issues:
-Bullets can be forged from normal metals. Likewise, bullet materials can be used to make crafts, goblets, workshops, etc. There's probably no workaround.
-Saltpeter is rare, so I've retained a "make saltpeter from any stone" command that was leftover from testing.
-No way to make dwarves differentiate between crossbows and firearms. Again probably can't be fixed now.

Todo:
Bismuth bullets
Siege Weaponry

I will mod in plastic as a resource.  I will then tweak the Dwarven civ entry so that coins are only made out of plastic, and are called "credit cards".
I will make dwarves purchase things with bushels of credit cards.  It will be a mockery of both systems.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 12:23:00 pm »

Actually, that sounds like a great balancing measure. Having saltpeter be rare forces players to trade for it much of the time, and since sieges prevent trade, guns become a very valuable resource, but to the ammo is so rare that it can only be used strategically.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 02:48:00 pm »

Actually, that's why the production chain is so long; the difficulty in making bullets quickly (and getting the charcoal for gunpowder during a siege) will hopefully balance out the power increase.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 05:05:00 pm »

If the product of a complex infrastructure is worth getting, people will figure out how to get it. Examples: Steel, soap.

Putting bullets at the end of a complicated process doesn't really hinder their usefulness, especially since many players don't put all their dwarves to serious work.

Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 05:18:00 pm »

The point isn't to hinder the usefulness of bullets. The point is to make it difficult to procure in large quantities.

Also, I'm not even sure if it's possible to make dwarves trade specifically for saltpeter.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 10:37:00 pm »

quote:
Add these definitions to the human (PLAINS) civ in ENTITY_DEFAULT:
      [AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ARROWS]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_LONGRIFLE]
      [AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BULLET]
   [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PISTOL]
      [AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BULLET]  

That's from the readme.  The presence of arrows is a typo.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2007, 10:58:00 pm »

I have a question - Where it says skill:hammer, does that mean it's used like a hammer in melee? Could DAMAGE be changed to pierce, and SKILL be changed to spear for it to be used like a gun that has a bayonet?

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_LONGRIFLE]
[NAME:long rifle:long rifles]
[DAMAGE:75:BLUDGEON]
[WEIGHT:40]
[SKILL:HAMMER]

[ November 21, 2007: Message edited by: Wiles ]

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2007, 11:07:00 pm »

Thanks for pointing out the arrows, Karlito. I hadn't noticed that.

I could change the rifles to do pierce damage... it'll go on my todo list, and I'll hopefully have it up tomorrow. In the meantime, gameplay reports? Anyone?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2007, 02:07:00 pm »

as of now it doesn't work.  There's some errors in the files.  For instance, when you have a new file you have to have the file name at the top.  I'll look for some more bugs and then see if it works after I've fixed them.

EDIT: so in addition to each of the files needing the file name at the top (i.e. at the top of item_guns it needs to say "item_guns.txt") item_guns was missing an [OBJECT:ITEM] tag.  Generating a new world right now to see if that fixes it.

EDIT:Still can't get anything to work.  I'll try some more after thanksgiving dinner.
[ November 22, 2007: Message edited by: Karlito ]

[ November 22, 2007: Message edited by: Karlito ]

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2007, 06:45:00 pm »

I don't think the longrifles will do more crits with ranged damage will they? so they get more crits in melee if they run out of ammo, oh well.

Also, I think as of right now it's pointless (other then fun factor of course) to make pistols and muskets separate - I'm fairly sure dwarves can use shields with 2h weapons (crossbows) because it's all sort of buggy right now.

I'm waiting for a working version to test it, but it seems to be that bullets (and guns in general) might be a bit underpowered for the work you put into them, or rather that crossbows are so overpowered the guns won't really be that much better. The real damage from ranged weapons is crits, even set to do 1 damage they are still very deadly so I don't think the smallish bonus over bolt damage will make a noticeable difference (though it is nice to have something to use all the otherwise stupid lead on). I'm really not sure what you could do about this though, setting the damage way up would just change them from overpowered to disgustingly overpowered so I guess for now gunpowder will just be for fun.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2007, 09:46:00 pm »

Actually, I've found they do work. You just have to copy everything into the appropriate file instead of making a new one.

From my scant experience in fortress mode, I've learned a few things:

1.) Unless you have a set of dedicated workers and shops, creating a large quantity of bullets is sort of a pain.

2.) Guns allow more dwarves to do less. I was able to use 5 dwarves armed with  iron muskets and lead ammo to effectively rout a small goblin siege.

3.) Since you will likely be fielding a smaller fighting force in accordance with 1 and 2, a series of unlucky hits by the enemy can have a much larger effect. To compensate, your gunners should have better training and better armor than the average marksdwarf.

4.) Dwarves will in fact wield muskets 2h, and pistols with a shield.

I've encountered some problems trying to make cannons. If I can't sort it out by the end of the night, I'll give up and post what I've got for now.

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2007, 08:50:00 am »

Version 1

This version should actually work, thanks to the fixing of many bullet -> bullets typos. It also adds bismuth bullets and a proper ignite point for gunpowder.

Having a little trouble with my siege weapons, so those aren't included.

Next up:
- A potential fix for the ability to make bullet furniture.
- Some advneture mode screens.
- Depleted uranium ammo (seriously)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4