Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: It was bound to happen; the rather underwhelming GUNPOWD  (Read 4673 times)

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
It was bound to happen; the rather underwhelming GUNPOWD
« on: November 19, 2007, 06:04:00 pm »

v1 is out! Download

How to use:

First, go to the smelter. combine 2 charcoal and 1 saltpeter to get gunpowder. combine gunpowder with any of the listed metals to get cartridges. combine  cartridges with any of the listed materials to get your base material for bullets. Forge this into bullets.

Forge a pistol (1h, can be used with a shield) or a musket (2h, more damaging). Humans can carry long rifles. These are too large for a dwarf to wield, but are capable of scoring more critical hits.

Draft someone and order him to take a crossbow. He should pick up that boomstick you just made.

Welcome to the gunpowder age! The craftsdwarf workshop will turn out bone and wood bullets for practice, in case your marksdwarves are too sober to shoot straight.

Alternately, come back with an adventurer, claim the goods, and play a gunslinger.

Issues:
-Bullets can be forged from normal metals. Likewise, bullet materials can be used to make crafts, goblets, workshops, etc. There's probably no workaround.
-Saltpeter is rare, so I've retained a "make saltpeter from any stone" command that was leftover from testing.
-No way to make dwarves differentiate between crossbows and firearms. Again probably can't be fixed now.

Todo:
Bismuth bullets
Siege Weaponry

[ November 20, 2007: Message edited by: PresidentEvil ]

[ November 24, 2007: Message edited by: PresidentEvil ]

I will mod in plastic as a resource.  I will then tweak the Dwarven civ entry so that coins are only made out of plastic, and are called "credit cards".
I will make dwarves purchase things with bushels of credit cards.  It will be a mockery of both systems.
It will be stupid.  But it will be gloriously stupid.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: It was bound to happen; the rather underwhelming GUNPOWD
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 06:13:00 pm »

For the sake of convience you should probably zip up the modded raw files and host them somewhere so we can just download and overwrite as opposed to this copying and pasting.
Also don't you need to add the ammo to dwarves in the entity_default file so that they will be used in crossbows?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 06:24:00 pm »

Actually, I'm pretty sure not. The bullets are in bar form, and the only thing they can be made into is ammo.

It's just adding new metals and reactions.

If I put the guns and ammo in entity_standard, will my dwarves be able to make them and wield them?

I will mod in plastic as a resource.  I will then tweak the Dwarven civ entry so that coins are only made out of plastic, and are called "credit cards".
I will make dwarves purchase things with bushels of credit cards.  It will be a mockery of both systems.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 07:14:00 pm »

So you can make... bullet tables, bullet doors, and bullet floodgates? Awesome.

I demand a DFMA movie with a crossbow firing one of those adamantine rounds. I expect nothing less than bazooka-esque carnage. :P

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 07:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PresidentEvil:
<STRONG>Since I can't figure out how to make the dwarves actually USE muskets</STRONG>

This is pretty easy, actually:

1. Make a musket weapon, following the guideline of other weapons in the raws. Name it ITEM_WEAPON_MUSKET or something similar.
2. Make musket ball ammo (already done basically with what you have). Name them ITEM_AMMO_MUSKETBALLS or something similar.
3. Go into Entity_default.txt and find the Dwarf entry (should be the first one).
4. Add the following in where the other weapon entries are:

code:
     [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_MUSKET]
         [AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_MUSKETBALLS]

5. Generate a new world.
6. Enjoy!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 07:30:00 pm »

oh hell you beat me to it, I was going to make a gun mod but I got a chronic case of laziness.

some comments - I believe you can add an ignite temperature to the items and have them burn up if they get too close to fire, should have it on the gunpowder and probably the finished rounds too. They *should* explode but afaik there is no way to make them do that yet so burning is the next best thing.

Add Bismuth bullets, they are used as a non-toxic alternative for hunting sometimes.

If you wanna get real fancy (and hey, if you are modding in guns, why not go all the way?) you could add hollow point and armor piercing rounds. hollow point would have more damage but no crit modifier, while armor piercing would do less damage but have a greater crit modifier. Actually I'm not sure if this would work or not, I don't know if weapons can use more then one ammo type.

You can make a custom crossbow named musket (or rifle or whatever you want) and make it run off the crossbow skill and dwarves will still use it. I *think* they will be able to make it if you add it to the entity standard file.

Unfortunately your guns will sometimes shoot bolts and your regular crossbows will shoot bullets. It might be best just to remove crossbows from dwarves and have them use guns only to solve this problem (and really, what's the point of a crossbow when you have a gun?). Of course if you do this you will need to add wooden and bone bullets too so dwarves can train, which sounds stupid - but it's less stupid then them shooting wooden and bone crossbow bolts out the gun to train which is the only other option  :p

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 08:03:00 pm »

Wouldn't a adamantine round be effectively useless since it has less than 1/10th the density of aluminum..?

You'd be better off throwing plump helmets at people.

Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 09:53:00 pm »

Just call them adamantine-pointed bullets, for peircing.

Also, what about gold bullets? Platinum? I want to make the golden gun. Bullets made from these would have more mass, and would deform more easily.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 10:15:00 pm »

Typo on the lead rounds. You need to make them ammo.

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 10:41:00 pm »

Okay, I've followed some of your advice, and here are the new developments:
v0.7
Pistol: Small, 1h. Dwarves SHOULD be able to use shields with these.
Musket: The equivalent of the crossbow.
Long Rifle: A large weapon, non dwarven. Has 1 more crit boost than the musket, to make human sieges a challenge.
Bullets are now firearm-only.
Dwarves should now use pistols and muskets.
Humans should now use pistols and rifles.
Elves are still tree-hugging nature wusses.
Goblins/kobolds are untouched.

To do tomorrow:
Experiment with copper as frangible practice ammo.
If that doesn't pan out, bone/wood bullets.
If the craftsdwarves won't make bullets, make guns accept practice bolts ONLY.
Add  realistic ignite temperature.
Testing.
Possibly work on bismuth rounds.
Work on siege ammo. (yaaay)

If I add bullets to entity_default, will they show up at the forges?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 12:22:00 am »

If you add bullets as ammo in the entity file, they should appear at the forge. Problem is, they may also appear at the crafter's, so you will end up with bone and wood bullets. Not that I mind...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 01:03:00 am »

Holy oversight Batman!  You didn't add a proper IGNITE_POINT for gunpowder!

Also, RE:  Armor-piercing rounds.
Ammo does not currently accept the CRITTHREAT (or whatever it is) token, so that's a no-go.

[ November 20, 2007: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

PaperKrane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 06:48:00 am »

Just a word on the wooden bullets, the Germans used wood bullets in late WW2, so it's not a far reach.

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 02:47:00 pm »

...And nothing's working anymore.

I don't get it.

I copied the reactions into reaction_standard, new bars into matgloss_metal, bullets into item_ammo, guns into item_weapon. I've got the weapons set up under entity_default.

And there are no new entries in any workshops. Do I need to generate a new world?

curufaukor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 04:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PresidentEvil:
<STRONG>Do I need to generate a new world?</STRONG>

In short: yes.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4