Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using a special plant to make special metal?(some minor  (Read 906 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Using a special plant to make special metal?(some minor
« on: November 18, 2007, 09:32:00 pm »

As the topic says, I'm trying to make a plant that makes a special variety of steel when combined with iron.  It essentially removes the need for limestone.(but the plant only grows in the tropics)  However I'm starting to wonder if it is possible as I don't know what I would use to tell it to use the plant as a reagent.  This is what I have.
code:

[REACTION :DRACON_STEEL_MAKING]
[NAME:make dracon steel bars]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[REAGENT:1:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT :DRACOROOT] ←most likely wrong
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL :DRACONSTEEL]
[FUEL]

[MATGLOSS_PLANT :DRACOROOT]
[TILE:157][COLOR:2:0:0]
[NAME:dracoroot][NAME_PLURAL:dracoroots]
[DRINK:draco brew:6:0:1]
[DRINKVALUE:3]
[DRY][BIOME_SAVANNA_TROPICAL]
[BIOME_GRASSLAND_TROPICAL]
[BIOME_SHRUBLAND_TROPICAL]
[VALUE:2]
[GENPOWER:1]
[SPRING][SUMMER]
[FREQUENCY:50]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[PREFSTRING:natural heat]
[SEED:6:0:0]

[MATGLOSS_METAL :DRACONSTEEL]
[NAME:dracon steel][ADJ:dracon steel][COLOR:0:7:1]
[VALUE:25]
[SPEC_HEAT:500]
[MELTING_POINT:12718]
[BOILING_POINT:14968]
[WEAPON][WEAPON_RANGED][AMMO][DIGGER][ARMOR][ANVIL]
[DAMAGE_PERC:125]
[BLOCK_PERC:125]
[SOLID_DENSITY:7850]

Any thoughts?  It comes up at the smelter but only requires iron and coal.  Is this even possible?

[ November 18, 2007: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Using a special plant to make special metal?(some minor
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 09:51:00 pm »

It looks right to me, but I don't know much about modding to be honest.

I recall someone else was trying to get plants to work in reactions, I don't remember if he did or not and I can't find the thread offhand (I think it was in general discussion). If nothing else you could make the plant processable in the farmer's workshop and then make the reaction use the thread, I recall reading (maybe in the same thread) that someone had that working for making coal on no-tree maps.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 09:53:00 pm »

Ok, I'll try to find that thread(pun?) then.  I honestly didn't try searching for it.  Honestly my first idea was to make it use a milled plant for the reagent instead of the plant itself.  But figured that I wouldn't be able to ;p.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Maher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 09:59:00 pm »

Uh, I've never had any luck with plants... I was using a similar code as you but creating food instead.
Asked for sun berries, got... rat weed
changed sun berries to cave wheat, got... rat weed
changed cave wheat to pig tails, got... rat weed   :(

The only thing I think could cause this is rat weed being the only choice under "plants" with no subfield... berries may have a subfield or something so it isn't finding the name I listed, so it gives me the first thing in the field/something generic.  (For berries, you aren't harvesting the entire plant but you can't explain why cave wheat doesn't work)

Trying the same thing with meat I found something interesting...
although we don't have an animal matgloss, I guessed some animal and what do you know? a meat chunk poped out... it didn't list an animal, just said "meat".  The  dwarfs ate my spam and were happy for it though.  :D

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 10:17:00 pm »

Just changed it to [REAGENT:1:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:   :DRACOROOT] and now my carpenter turned scientist happily went about making some dracon steel out of the nearest plant available (Rat weed)...  Maybe if I use [REAGENT:1:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE   :DRACOROOT:]

EDIT: No go.  But I did just realize that that carpenter took the rat weed out of a barrel which according to the other thread it wouldn't do.

EDIT2: SUCCESS! [REAGENT:1:THREAD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT :DRACOROOT] causes it to require specifically dracoroot thread.  While that will work for now I need to figure out how to make it use a milled product instead of thread.  I don't want them making clothes out of the stuff.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 11:34:00 pm »

In the other thread I mentioned that they won't recognize the plants when their in a barrel for the initial check to see if the reaction shows up as an available task. They happily take them out of the barrel after the task is set, it just won't let you set the task at the workshop unless at least one plant is outside the barrel.

As for identifying a particular plant, I gave up on that and just made it use thread. Plants have several problems other than the barrel thing. Each stack only counts as 1, so if you have stacks of 5 and the reaction requires 2, it will take 2 stacks of 5 just the same as two singles. It also can't give you the seed if you use the raw plant, so you'd quickly run out of seeds if the sole use of the plant was the reaction.

[ November 18, 2007: Message edited by: Paul ]

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 11:50:00 pm »

Couldn't you get the reaction to generate a seed as well as the steel?  I think that the number after product is a percentage so if you wanted a chance at multiple seeds just put say 3 new product lines in with percentages of 100 50 and 25 which would always give you at least 1 seed, 62.5% of the time it would give you 2 seeds, and 12.5% of the time it would give you 3 seeds.  Judging by the way I think its galena works that is what would happen but I'm not positive.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 11:54:00 pm »

Hmm yea, I see what yer saying there.  It will use the whole stack when It should only be using 1 out of the stack...and when I try to add seeds as a product all I come up with is rat weed seeds...

I got it to come up with using it as an extract as well.  That creates seeds but It would probably still use the whole stack of the extract, even if it can wrap it's head around the whole vial-barrel-bag thing...

Oh well.  Least it is partially possible.  I call half-victory.