Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [flier] tag problems  (Read 641 times)

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
[flier] tag problems
« on: December 10, 2007, 06:34:00 pm »

I was trying to make some inventive contraptions on DF, but it took forever, especially on a 1.35 Ghz Athlon (the original). So I upped maxed the dwarf's speed, added no_eat,no_sleep, no_drink, and upped their strength. Construction goes rather fast now.   :p
I had some interesting forts, where a single lever pull would spew magma all over the sealed courtyard consisting of grates over the magma tube (lots of !!goblin corpse!!). Indoor plumbing and heating for all rooms. A giant waterfall on the north side of the central staircase walled off by glass, and a magma-fall on the south side. All in 1.5 game years (About 3-4 afternoons, my computer is so slow).
What I can't get to work is the [flier] tag. They do fly, which gets rid of those ugly stairs leftover from construction everywhere, but occasionally they freeze in mid air. I can't put a pattern to it either. They just pause in mid air & stay there till they die. I tried recruiting and un-recruiting them, but it doesn't work. I'm probably missing some other creature tag that goes with this. Any ideas what's wrong?
All the modifications were put in the creature_standard file.
Maybe some day I'll mod in my own race that's exceptionally fast, strong, and can fly, so that I'm technically not cheating...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: [flier] tag problems
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 06:37:00 pm »

It's because the dwarf AI doesnt know how to handle flying, making them frozen in midair because they cannot move up or down because of "dangerous terrain."
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 06:39:00 pm »

You know you can remove constructions using designations, right? You don't have to leave unneeded stairs/ramps sitting around if you don't want to.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 09:00:00 pm »

I know how to remove constructions, it just leaves shafts everywhere that can't be plugged easily.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 03:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Idiom:
<STRONG>I know how to remove constructions, it just leaves shafts everywhere that can't be plugged easily.</STRONG>

Rewall? Oh wait, you said "easily." Sorry, can't help there. :/

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 04:55:00 pm »

I've played around with patternflier and flier, both seem to have issues. I had a flying race replace the goblins and some would fly up a level, and stay there indefinitely, frightening any dwarf who walked by.