Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Throwing weapons?  (Read 800 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Throwing weapons?
« on: November 18, 2007, 11:49:00 am »

Has anyone tried to mod in throwing weapons? As in, normal weapons that fire, uh, themselves? Or, special ammo-only weapons?

I succeeded in making my throwing axes and daggers not make any errors in the game, but they don't show up despite being put in the civs' lists...

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing weapons?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 01:01:00 pm »

I'm afraid they aren't usable anyway. Dwarves in fortress mode can equip only the predefined   weapon-types. No adding to the list with "undwarven skills" is possible.

And in adventure-mode, spinning water is quite deadly, so there isn't any point really.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 12:54:00 am »

Dwarves will not use throwing, true.

But I thought that something more useful in melee than a crossbow-club would be nice. And if I just wanted throwing, I would not have bothered, I would just make simple knives. I want the knives to stack, so I can both see them as one stack when throwing, and buy them as one stack.

Also, dwarves will use anything marked as a crossbow, so you can, technically, make them use other ranged weapons.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 01:14:00 am »

Maybe make a special throwing Glove, which uses Knives as ammo?

Hesitris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 02:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mover#005:
<STRONG>Maybe make a special throwing Glove, which uses Knives as ammo?</STRONG>

This may work.. if you can find some way for dwarves to be able to use such a weapon. As stated before, the only ranged weapon they're capable of using at this point is crossbows. I'm looking through the raws, and not finding anything about weapon choice, so I think it's hard-coded.

Edit: Ahah! I found something: entity_default.txt. This is probably something that more experienced modders know about, I'm sure. It seems to hold all the information about the different races, though it lists them by terrain type rather than race name.. It includes weapon possibilities. But does this affect what they can USE, or just what they can make/start out with?

[ November 19, 2007: Message edited by: Hesitris ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 11:57:00 am »

Nuh-uh. For a weapon to use the "firing" mechanism, it must be a weapon - that is, wielded. Ammo cannot be bought in AM, and the custom ranged weapons are useless in DM..

So, even if you mod, say, the elves, to use throwing knives, the only way to get them would be to get them as a trade item, buy them, abandon, then visit as an adventurer.

I managed to mod in the throwing weapons, but could not get them, so didn't bother preserving them when updating to 33b...

I should have probably just marked them as crossbows though...

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 02:44:00 pm »

Well, if you just want a throwing weapon in Adventure mode, you could just create an ammo type with no launcher.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 11:51:00 am »

You won't be able to acquire ammo that has no weapon assigned. The only way to get ammo, currently, is to get it from other creatures, or by getting it with your initial weapon.

Right now, I figured out a solution. You don't normally go around hacking away at people with throwing axes - instead, you use them as a sidearm when wielding a one-handed axe, like a hand axe or a battle axe if you're a dwarf. So, it makes sense to assign them throwing axes to the normal "hacky" axes, so that you can "fire" them without problems, and using the throwing skill.

I think it will be nice to have several ammo items assigned to the same class, thus simply allowing some weapons to be coupled with throwing axes/daggers/crescents/stars/etc.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 11:52:00 am »

What about a spear thrower that may work eh?  make the thrower then add spears as ammo????
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!