Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Several questions  (Read 2073 times)

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Several questions
« on: August 09, 2006, 05:47:00 pm »

I dont quite get it, there is a Miner dwarf and Mason and others. Does that hold any meaning ? Well, yes, they do have the skills corresponding to their names, but when i order to dig, for example, a dwarf with no mining skill grabs a pickaxe and digs away, while a "Competent Miner" idle. Why ?

Another one, why was rhombus chosen as a basic room template, like Bedroom ? And what counts as bedroom ? If a dwarf have 5 square bedroom with a bed, what are other squares for ? Chests and personal closets ?
And what will happen if i remove a bed ? Will it return to the furniture stockpile or be destroyed ?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Several questions
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 05:51:00 pm »

Does the dwarf with no mining skill have the "mining" profession selected in [v - p - l]?  The type of dwarf just indicates their highest skill, but the jobs they do is determined by the professions selected in [v - p - l].

You can shape your bedrooms however you want -- as long as they are closed in by doors, when you resize the room, you can fill up the floor with that shape.  The flashing cyan portion is the room.  Any furniture (cabinets, chests, etc) that is covered by the flashing stuff belongs to the owner of the room, and they'll use it for personal objects whenever they get around to owning them (can take a long while).  Dwarves don't like to share rooms, so if you are assigning rooms, you should make them with non-overlapping floors.  They also prefer their rooms to have walls and doors at the boundary, rather than being open.

If you remove a bed building, the bed item remains, and will go back to furniture.  It can be used elsewhere.

[ August 09, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 06:40:00 pm »

Thanks.

Ah, the highest skill, thats good.

No, i actually made an open bedroom, and was rather surprised that room borders were rhombus instead of square.

I have a question about food, for example i have food supplies of 56, but how much is it really ? First i had about 20 tiles of food in a stockpile, but dwarves came and took it 1 by 1 until only 4 tiles are left. Barrels. But how big is one barrel ? And when i cook something up, it takes so long that dwarves eat several times until their lunch is ready.

And the last one, how do i make them drop stuff ? I really want to give that pickaxe to the best miner and so on.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 06:47:00 pm »

if you don't have enough picks to go around, you can turn off the mining profession in [v p l] on the incompetent guys and they should drop their picks.  if that doesn't work, assign them to something like a sword in [v p s] for a few seconds and it might clear, but just turning off mining should do it.

the rhombus comes from the dwarves only being able to move NSEW.  I think that shape is what you get if you walk 3 steps in any direction.

It should be 56, though you might have to prepare the fish in a fishery.  Barrels hold about 10 things -- you can check the contents of a barrel by selecting it when you are over it with the [k] cursor.  If you get a bookkeeper, you can keep tabs on things more closely.

I haven't had that problem with cooking...  should take as long as any other job.  Perhaps it's a bug, again.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 06:50:00 pm »

Thank you.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 07:35:00 pm »

Btw, is it possible to do anything with dwarf chunks ? Maybe cook them in case there is a cannibal in the fortress ? One of my dwarfs axed black bear, but lost his arm in the process, will that change anything for him ?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 07:39:00 pm »

He'll probably be upset about not having an arm for a while, and like adventure mode, he won't be able to use a shield...  I wonder if he's smart enough to know that.

You can't do anything with dwarf chunks I can think of, except throw them away.  I don't think they get associated to the dwarf they came from, so they won't be placed in coffins like severed limbs.

Incidentally, if you lose somebody, you should make a coffin for them if you get a chance, since people don't like seeing rotting dwarf bodies lying around.  At the same time, with that civil war berserk/tantrum bug, it seems like maybe that's the least of your worries...

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 07:52:00 pm »

Another one : are there any disadvantages in turning wells and dining rooms into meeting halls ? You can turn it on and off, so there must be something, right ?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 07:59:00 pm »

It just lets you choose where you want your dwarves to mill around and make buddies.  If you don't want a lot of dwarves hanging out some place, you shouldn't select it.  I usually end up making meeting halls wherever, anyway, but there might be some exception places, like places that are more exposed to attacks, etc.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 08:17:00 pm »

Okay. Now this : Am i supposed to make bolts for my crossbowman ? Right now he is hunting just fine with only a crossbow...

Speaking of hunt, what do i do with animal corpses ? I built butchery and set it to "extract from land animal", set a butchery skill for one guy, but nothing happens. What to do with it ?

Another, what is the difference between a shield and a buckler ?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 08:22:00 pm »

Yeah, make bolts -- it's probably hidden in the craftsdwarf workshop or something.  If your marksdwarf has been running up and beating people with the crossbow, he could do better.  I don't remember if he'll insist on having a quiver as well.

The butcher's shop will automatically butcher nearby animal corpses that aren't rotten.  The others are probably lost to dumb AI.  I don't remember if there's a standing

• rder to make them collect corpses from farther outside and put them into a refuse pile, but it would be dangerous and they'd probably get scared by foxes anyway.  Extracting is a specific thing that isn't really useful now.

A buckler has about half the chance of blocking and it is lighter, so it doesn't encumber the dwarf as much.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 08:41:00 pm »

quote:
If your marksdwarf has been running up and beating people with the crossbow

LOL, thats a funny picture.

quote:
I don't remember if he'll insist on having a quiver as well.  

He wont.

quote:
I don't remember if there's a standing
  • rder to make them collect corpses from farther outside and put them into a refuse pile  

There isnt. But right now my hunter gather corpses (or make them and bring them) and dump them all in one place, several tiles from refuse pile.

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 02:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by karnot:
<STRONG>
There isnt. But right now my hunter gather corpses (or make them and bring them) and dump them all in one place, several tiles from refuse pile.</STRONG>

I think there is, actually.. In the refuse orders or whatever they were called. There you can choose if they should gather refuse only from inside or from outside, too.

[ August 10, 2006: Message edited by: Aristharus ]

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 07:46:00 am »

quote:
There you can choose if they should gather refuse only from inside or from outside, too.  

I dont see such thing.

Have problems. Built food storage right indoors and set it to receive food from outdoor pile. They started to drag it inside. Then a room deep inside caved in, and they started to remove food back outside, and wont put it inside no matter what. I cleared the cave in, what more do you want, slaves ? Obey your master !

And another one, where should i put supports and how ? What are their area of effect ? I set to build 6 supports in that big room that caved in, dwarves built 3 and thats it. They wont build the rest, just stand around idling.

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 07:50:00 am »

It's in the menu which opens with 'o'. Something like "Refuse orders".. It opens another menu where it is. I'd guess it's first o, then r, then g or something. I dunno.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
Pages: [1] 2 3