Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Nevermind  (Read 4011 times)

Fenrir

Re: Nevermind
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 10:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>

How does acting like a moron help this situation out, if I may ask?</STRONG>

Enough already, we're ruining Teldin's thread. Who else in onboard?

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2007, 10:59:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>

How does acting like a moron help this situation out, if I may ask?</STRONG>

Exactly what does this question do?

You and I have different perspectives on what is a moron!  lol

I think my post will achieve its desired ends.

TTFN!

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 10:59:00 pm »

Geez, you guys are pretty negative. There are tons of ways to do it, if you're creative. You can simulate proper sieges by making large clusters of wild curiousbeast monsters with a high frequency speed, make most monsters spawn when you find the chasm/rivers/magma, and so on.

Oh well. Guess I'll think of something else to make then. Case closed!

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 12:01:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Teldin:
<STRONG>Geez, you guys are pretty negative. There are tons of ways to do it, if you're creative. You can simulate proper sieges by making large clusters of wild curiousbeast monsters with a high frequency speed, make most monsters spawn when you find the chasm/rivers/magma, and so on.

Oh well. Guess I'll think of something else to make then. Case closed!</STRONG>

LOL

How sad.  Quitting that easily...

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 12:17:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>Fenrir bites Geofferic's hand!
It flies off in a bloody arc!
[ December 08, 2007: Message edited by: Fenrir ]</STRONG>

Unkind!

All you really need to know about the Underdark you could probably learn from Wikipedia.

Basically it's an interesting setting (a bit overused at present thanks to the abominable Drizzt Do'Urden and his creator, the less than interesting Bobby Salvatore) filled with brain eating squid faced bad guys (Illithid), giant floating orbs with eyes on stalks and a gaping, tooth-filled maw (beholders) (I actually like them MORE than the Illithid!), half-spider/half-Drow abominations, good and EVIL dwarves, coutless other crazy things and the Drow themselves - dark skinned, silver haired, evil (alas, almost always, thanks to Drizzt (and Liriel Baenre)) spider-god worshipping ... panzy elves.

Gwythur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 12:50:00 am »

I had been loosely kicking around ideas similar to this back in the old 2-d version, when chasms were more "in your imagination" instead of "15 z-levels of hole-in-the-ground in your face".

My idea was that dark elves, deep dwarves, and the like (are those other names trademarked?) would be more interesting chasm siegers than another dozen antmen.

But in order to be interesting, these creatures would need equipment, like the goblins.  You may recall the problem of the batman blowgunner?  For whatever reason, they never spawned with a blowgun equipped.  So if one were to mod in, say, a dark elf sniper (crossbowelf), would it actually spawn with a crossbow?

I am unsure, but I don't believe that non-entity civilizations can spawn with equipment.  And I don't believe that entity settlements can be set in the chasm within the current code, so siegers would come from the overland map.

So, based on these assumptions, I never attempted to work on any sort of mod.  Nevertheless, I think the ideas are good ones, and perhaps more reachable than a total conversion.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 06:58:00 am »

What the heck happened to this thread? The basic concept of a completely underground setting is still an interesting one, even if you don't care for D&D.

Armok and Mr. "LOL" Geofferic barging into it with seeming chips on their shoulders... even if the idea isn't possible at this point, there's no reason to troll it.

Edit: In fact, after a quick glance at some of Geofferic's recent posts, flaming doesn't seem to be an irregular event for him. On one thread he is even asking for more forum mods, while at the same time trolling posters in several others.

[ December 09, 2007: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Lord_Daeloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 09:31:00 am »

I'm not sure where the idea of this not being possible is coming from...  Yeah, we can't make it completely underground, but there is a whole other world above the Underdark ya know.  I mean, really, all we need is to mod in all of the civs, creatures, etc. and some of the equipment  :D  Granted, magic items aren't possible, ::cry::  Anyways, sad to see it die because of some naysayers, if only I had the time/skill to pick it up.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 09:57:00 am »

Ooops, seems I broke the tread, I did NOT imply that this was a bad idea and should not be done, I implied that there are many moders in the caliber of Teldin and that he should not be called the sole moding god just because he was the only one whit enough time to use those skills, I also braggingly implied that I gas one of those skilled moders and that my one mod had more afterthought put into it.
In advertising my own mod I must somehow have given the impression that this one is hopples and bad and shuld not be done, this was mot my intention, I was bragging and advertising my own mod, and also suggesting you to think up your own creatures and names instead of copying them from D&D.

Please do not stop a mod you want to do because I am bad a expressing myself.  :(

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fenrir

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 10:43:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>Ooops, seems I broke the thread...</STRONG>

No, this is all my fault. I'm sorry Teldin, I didn't mean to spark a 'flame war' (for lack of a better term) in the middle of your thread.  :(

quote:
Originally posted by Lord_Daeloth:
<STRONG>I'm not sure where the idea of this not being possible is coming from...  Yeah, we can't make it completely underground, but there is a whole other world above the Underdark ya know.  I mean, really, all we need is to mod in all of the civs, creatures, etc. and some of the equipment   :D  Granted, magic items aren't possible, ::cry::  Anyways, sad to see it die because of some naysayers, if only I had the time/skill to pick it up.</STRONG>

Yeah, that's what changed my mind the second time. For there to be an underground there must be a surface. It's enough that we can get underground. Perhaps some developers should be put in charge of carving out Underdark in Fortress mode so you can distribute the saved game with your mod. Then we can enter the Underdark in Adventurer mode.
Is it possible to use reactions to make creatures? That way it would be easier for the people creating Underdark to populate it without having to wait for creatures to appear so they can be trapped.

Revive this thread, Teldin. Don't let us stop you!

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2007, 11:58:00 am »

Sorry if I call a spade a spade.  lol

When childish foolishness is the majority of the content of the forums, don't be shocked when I start pointing it out.

Call it trolling if it makes you feel better.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2007, 01:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Geofferic:
<STRONG>Sorry if I call a spade a spade.  lol

When childish foolishness is the majority of the content of the forums, don't be shocked when I start pointing it out.

Call it trolling if it makes you feel better.</STRONG>

You're not even close to the amount of cleverness you think you have.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

LongBeardBob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2007, 01:49:00 pm »

I'm voting on we continue this project since there is a bunch we can do while we wait for the chance with the editor.

Here are some latest ideas, some of which may possible and some which may not.

Duergar (dark dwarves): These guys are the opposite of regular dwarves and pretty much work their way out of the chasm. It would be nice if triggering the chasm meant that they trigger their own start and begin carving out their own path by mining and such. Randomly gaining recruits from the chasm floor on an annual basis. Their main goal to eliminate the dwarves and take their home for themselves.

Drow (dark elves): Raids from the surface. Maybe if we cannot yet work on their base of operations, we can at least get them working on raiding and being tactical. Even though no magic is in yet, it would be cool for them to assault and try to take captives. They would not try and kill everyone, but capture/enslave to take back.

Illithids (squidmen): Since these guys are all about mind and mental powers, could we make them into evil scientist/technologists. They want to dissect and figure out what the dwarves are all about. Maybe they hire out a few drow and duergar to work on raids for their secret experiments. Possibly only a leader?

Koa-Toa (fishmen): Servants of the old gods, I would think these guys are like the servants of Dagoth from the Robert E. Howard series, i.e. Conan. All about capturing and taking slaves, and then being able to sacrifice to their dark gods. Perhaps gaining some benefit and carving tons of bone weapons.

With the Armies arc on the horizon, there is plenty for us to do in the way of civilization, graphics, and backstory, so let's get started!

Cheers!

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2007, 02:02:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>

You're not even close to the amount of cleverness you think you have.</STRONG>

And just what degree of cleverness is it that I believe I possess and what degree to I actually possess?

I await your enlightenment ...  lol

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2007, 02:44:00 pm »

Isn't one of the Underdark schticks the fact that the weapons from there disintegrate in sunlight or something?  How would you go about simulating that?
Pages: 1 [2] 3