Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Nevermind  (Read 4012 times)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Nevermind
« on: December 08, 2007, 01:16:00 pm »

I have decided to start on that Underdark project people were commenting about earlier. It will be legendary. And menace with spikes of obsidian.

Even if you don't know anything about the Underdark, that's fine! Just think the two following words: Evil, and Underground.

We will be modding all aspects of the game, including graphics, items, metals, reactions, and so forth. Therefore, if you know a lot about things like graphics mods or reaction mods, please please please climb on board the mod train.

What I want is for each person who is on board for the project to mention what part they want to do, here. If you have no preference, just say so and I'll find you something to do (probably some mindless busywork). Even if you're just good at writing stories, you can help join and collaborate on ideas like races or whatnot.

If you prefer to just work on one aspect (toys, weapons, etc) then that is perfectly fine, too. In fact I'll probably end up handing out sections for people to do if we have enough interested.

The way it will work is: people finish their sections and send them to me, then I will put them all together. People who have stuff to do with each other's (body parts + new species, for example) will need to obviously talk to each other about it, probably via mails or whatnot.

IF YOU ARE ON BOARD FOR THIS PROJECT to help in any way, please state here.

Currently on board:

Me! I will be doing entity definitions, hosting the mod, writing readmes, and administering hammerblows to anyone who goes melancholy.

[ December 08, 2007: Message edited by: Teldin ]

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nevermind
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 01:47:00 pm »

I'd like to make some creatures, but not civs. I don't like civs. They're too complicated D:

Fenrir

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 02:12:00 pm »

I'm on board, if you'll explain what Underdark is. I'm a n00b when it comes to modding, but I'm sure I'll be able to conribute.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 04:38:00 pm »

The Underdark
Its basically this large system of caverns that exists deep below ground.  Its the home of Drow, Mind Flayers, and various other nasties.

I know plenty about modding, so I'll help with most everything.  I think I'll get started on some creatures.

EDIT: Oh and Teldin, I know I've said this before, but you are The Modding God.  Either that or you have lots of time on your hands.

[ December 08, 2007: Message edited by: Karlito ]

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 05:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Karlito:
<STRONG>Oh and Teldin, I know I've said this before, but you are The Modding God.  Either that or you have lots of time on your hands.
</STRONG>

Judging from the quality/quantity rating, I would say he has lots of time on his hands.
Not saying you are a bad moder, all that training must have had some effect, but to me it seems he is rather screwing around and experimenting, rather than like me (hornet mod) first going around for months whit a concept in the back of ones head, then making everything perfect in every detail, generate a single world, and evrything being perfectly balanced and beautiful.
Okay I am exasperatingly, counting that I used old (pre-z)...

Okay I will stop stealing the thread. What I mean is that he ripoffs an idea from another game (D&D), then implements it so that it technically work but half of the features from the original idea is not supported by DF and it is horribly unbalanced.
(note that I have not played any of his mods and I'm just making up insults a s I go)

No offense meant Teldin, just the worst thread stealing, braving half joke ever existed.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fenrir

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 06:38:00 pm »

I'm in no position to criticize as I've not made a single mod of my own, but I must agree with the god of blood. How will this work? How will you get the world entirely underground?! I have my doubts about this mod.

LongBeardBob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 06:48:00 pm »

I'd like to help out, since this seems to address my question from my dark dwarf graphics. I think that I'd like to help with the mod by working on the races, and their history/backstory.

For example, the Underdark has many different creatures that mesh well with the DF world (dark dwarves, dark elves, illithids, koa-toa) and may be able to be worked on in all aspects. Some may not be able to be done, so we should stay within reachable goals.

I'll give this more thought. Cheers!

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 06:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>I'm in no position to criticize as I've not made a single mod of my own, but I must agree with the god of blood. How will this work? How will you get the world entirely underground?! I have my doubts about this mod.</STRONG>

Im pretty sure you can edit the world generator, but not to such an extent to make it all "underground".

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 07:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>Im pretty sure you can edit the world generator, but not to such an extent to make it all "underground".</STRONG>
I asked that same question in the other thread and was informed you cannot yet - at all.

This mod will not succeed without that ability, but there are always things to work on in the meantime.

:(

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Fenrir

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 09:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Red Jackard:
<STRONG>I asked that same question in the other thread and was informed you cannot yet - at all.

This mod will not succeed without that ability, but there are always things to work on in the meantime.

:(</STRONG>

If you've no idea when this mod will be possible, why even bother? It could be many months before Toady adds the ability to mod the world generator.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 09:28:00 pm »

I'm not the one working on it, don't ask me.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Fenrir

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 09:48:00 pm »

I won't be participating in this project. I recommend you try something more feasible, Teldin.

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 09:55:00 pm »

LOL

Man it's like this forum is filled with 12 year olds.

Oh, wait ...

I mean, come on, Fenrir is all "I'm helping!"

"Oh no, that guy dissed him, so I'm bandwagoning with him!"

"I'm not helping!"

lolol

God I love it.

I'm not gonna help with the mod since I'm a law student without that degree of time on my hands, but I do think you should start on it and implement it to the degree that you can with the resources you have available.

When world generation modding is advanced enough that the game can truly start underground, you'll be ready to go with everything else.

I see no point in waiting for the entire thing to be feasible - this is an alpha.  Do what you can, and maybe Toady likes it, so he develops the areas you need developed.

Sheesh.  It's like the biggest bunch of whiney, lazy, know-nothing bunch of "can't-do's" I ever done come across.

Fenrir

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 10:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Geofferic:
<STRONG>LOL

Man it's like this forum is filled with 12 year olds.

Oh, wait ...

I mean, come on, Fenrir is all "I'm helping!"

"Oh no, that guy dissed him, so I'm bandwagoning with him!"

"I'm not helping!"

lolol

God I love it.

I'm not gonna help with the mod since I'm a law student without that degree of time on my hands, but I do think you should start on it and implement it to the degree that you can with the resources you have available.

When world generation modding is advanced enough that the game can truly start underground, you'll be ready to go with everything else.

I see no point in waiting for the entire thing to be feasible - this is an alpha.  Do what you can, and maybe Toady likes it, so he develops the areas you need developed.

Sheesh.  It's like the biggest bunch of whiney, lazy, know-nothing bunch of "can't-do's" I ever done come across.</STRONG>

It was only after I volunteered that I learned that this mod was impossible! The whole premise is that it's completely underground! You... wait... hmmm... Just had a thought, count me back in.

Oh, and Fenrir doesn't 'bandwagon'...   :p

Fenrir bites Geofferic's hand!
It flies off in a bloody arc!

EDIT:
I've never played D&D and I've little knowledge of what will go into this mod, so assign me a task.

[ December 08, 2007: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 10:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Geofferic:
<STRONG>LOL</STRONG>

How does acting like a moron help this situation out, if I may ask?

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.
Pages: [1] 2 3