Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: R.I.P. Cliffs :(  (Read 2690 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: R.I.P. Cliffs :(
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 12:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Asehujiko:
<STRONG>When did this happen and how did i miss it?</STRONG>

Check the nonsense forum.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 01:03:00 pm »

My adventurer celebrated his last cliff today.

In his words:  

"R...........I.................P..................." *splat*

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 01:12:00 pm »

Those aren't words, those are letters.  Two consonants and a vowel, to be exact.

Perhaps your adventurer lost a few teeth in his previous leaps of faith?

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 01:21:00 pm »

I suppose it isn't the first time in history last word's haven't actually been words.

This sounds morbid but it is true:  My grandfather was a bellygunner in a b-17 in world war 2 and his brother served as a waistgunner in the same plane.  His brother was wounded by flak during a mission and my grandfather always told us he was with him when he died.  When I was 17 I was writing an essay for a history class and I asked him what his brothers last words were.  My grandfather, a very serious and harsh old man, looked at me and said, "Hmm ... I think he said, 'Erf.'"

[ March 17, 2008: Message edited by: valcon ]

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 05:36:00 pm »

That's the kind of thing where you want to laugh, but you know if you do you'll go to Hell.
Shoes...

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 09:15:00 am »

Aren't we already going to hell anyways?
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 11:23:00 am »

OH, laugh; he did, and so did I =)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 11:27:00 am »

Only if you visited the "Needed things" shop.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 01:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fishersalwaysdie:
<STRONG>Aren't we already going to hell anyways?</STRONG>

Yup. Since there is more than one religion that states:

a) If you do not follow this religion you are going to hell
and
b) If you follow another religion you are not following this religion

Thus, since it is impossible to properly follow every religion that would keep you out of hell, everybody must be going to hell. See you at the party!  :D

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 02:08:00 pm »

Ah, but you see, I am an atheist, and thus I do not go to hell.  Actually, considering my dogma, I don't really "anything".

Besides.  I'd rather go to hell in a handbasket than go to heaven in a pram.  Free margaritas and spicy waitresses, here we come!  [SPHERE:DEPRAVITY] awaits!

[ March 19, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 02:54:00 pm »

Wouldn't [SPHERE :DEPRAVITY] be reserved for heaven? [SPHERE:TORTURE] seems more fitting to hell.  ;)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 03:42:00 am »

Hi!

I also have to chime in with the sorrow crowd here. Playing usually in fortress mode, I am greatly enjoying starting fortresses in locations with massive cliffs because of all the interesting terrain they offer, together with the advantages and disadvantages concerning defenses.

However, I also experienced that cliffs got in the way of my ocean swimming project in adventure mode, since every coast tile seemed to have cliffs separating the beach from the normal walking area (^_^;;

I honestly hope the cliffs will be back soon to charm us again with their beauty and mystery.

Deathworks

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2008, 04:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>Wouldn't [SPHERE: DEPRAVITY] be reserved for heaven? [SPHERE:TORTURE] seems more fitting to hell.   ;)</STRONG>

Not exactly.  You see, although believers like to imagine hell as the worst place this side of anywhere, with foul and crooked demons burning your flesh off and prodding the raw nerves with pointed tridents, it really doesn't make any sense.  

Take the moral aspect into consideration.  Satan, Lord of Flies, Father of Lies, Leather of Fleas and all that, is the diametric opposite of Mr. Beardy-in-a-chair, correct?  And the respective domains of those two entities, hell and heaven, reflect the thoughts and overall wishes of their rulers, correct?

Well, in that case, hell cannot punish blatant sinners.  

Heaven rewards those who are faithful to god throughout their lives, and who spent their time on earth following the preachin's and teachin's of the almighty.  Hell, in common literature, is a place that punishes those who do the opposite of these things, who sin without asking for forgiveness the morning after.  

Heaven and Hell would then both further the same end, which would be to promote the devout worship of Mr. Beardy and his son, Jeshua ben Joseph.  Since Heaven and Hell are supposed to be opposite in form and function, like their creators, they should then serve to promote completely different agendas.

This all leads to the conclusion that the current "common knowledge" about Hell is merely false propaganda spread by the Beardy-worshippers, who didn't quite work out all the kinks in their dogma before preaching it.  

There must then be some "hidden knowledge" about Hell, which states its true nature.  This knowledge, of course, is squelched into obscurity by the now stampeding Beardettes.  Even the oddball Satanists, who claim that they fancy themselves the faithful of Mr. Horns-And-Tail just because they happen to like dressing themselves in black leather and drinking chicken blood on saturdays with a few buddies, don't know the truth about Hell and form their own psuedo-doctrine arounf the dogma of the Beardettes.

I personally think, mainly because it's cooler to think about this way, since I have literally no chance in Hell of redeeming my soul by anyone's standards, that Hell must be a place of utter decadence, where depravity and debauchery are the main guiding forces.  I mean, come on.  A succubus is a hell of a lot sexier than some angel who insists on wearing a bulky form-concealing robe 24/7.
Consider it.  What makes you think that heaven would be a place of depravity?  Heaven is supposed to be a place that is the epitome of God's plans (..thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven...), and since you can't get in if you commit sinful acts (lust, gluttony, pride, vanity, murder...  Everyday things), you're probably not going to be allowed to do them when you're there.

Yeah, I think about stuff like this.  Basically, I just look for lots of ways to tie up believers in their own beliefs, like the phrase "God made me an atheist.  Who are you to question his judgement?"

And don't worry, I don't take any of the above post seriously.  It's too absurd to take seriously.  I wouldn't be talking about Mr. HAT and Mr. Beardy if I was.

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2008, 11:42:00 am »

Kagus, I just HAVE to respond to this. Mostly because it's fun to. Don't worry, I don't take these kinds of arguments seriously either. They're just really fun to think about.

Although I see your logic, which seems to be sort of an evolutionary outlook on Christianity, I think you're only looking at the heaven / hell dichotomy from the typical Protestant Christian viewpoint, which is as they say, "fire and brimstone." Well, the original writers of the Old Testament did not envision hell as merely a place for human punishment. Originally, Satan, or Lucifer, was an angel, and rebelled against God. His reasons for rebelling are, as posited by Christians, a jealousy of Mankind, who at the time were living in Eden and were ignorant. According to the original writers, Lucifer wanted to be humanity's God, and wanted to have control over them. He did so by giving them knowledge.

I believe Satanists look at it differently; they thank Satan for giving them knowledge, and worship Satan as opposed to God because God wishes mankind to be ignorant, while Satan wishes mankind to be worldly. Well, whatever the case, Lucifer was banished to Hell because of his rebellion. As written in the Old Testament, as well as great fictional works like Paradise Lost (written by a devout Christian), Hell was not created to punish humans, but to punish Lucifer and the angels who followed him in his war against God.

Why did Hell take on its current meaning of being a place where humans are sent to be punished? It did this because Christianity has ever adapted itself to better convert pagans, and many pagan religions have a concept of a world of the dead; a place where the dead are sent to (regardless of being good or evil). Christianity had already come up with the concept of Gehenna, which originally was a punishment just for rebellious angels, and molded it to better fit the pagan view of a world of the dead, turning Gehenna into Hell, a place where humans are sent to be tortured by fallen angels.

The bible has never had a good resolution of the exact meaning of hell. It has always been a mysterious concept, and therefore great works like Dante's Inferno were written to attempt to clarify it. Remember, though, that the Divine Comedy was largely inspired by Islamic religion; the bible, a mishmash of the original writings and crap added on to appease pagans, is loaded with contradictory statements about hell.

And no, I have never taken any official courses on Religious studies, though I would have if my premed and psychobiology coursework didn't put me over the unit limit in college.

火族

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2008, 11:56:00 pm »

Well, I was aware of a few of the things you mentioned (Lucifer being an angel, jealous of mankind, Christianity changes to better snag pagans), but I had no idea about the knowledge-giving stuff, or even that Milton was a devout Christian.  I guess I assumed anyone who'd write "better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven" couldn't be that faithful, even if he was writing from a character's perspective.

And I thought Dante used Hell as a literary stage where he could humiliate and subject to poetic torture all those folks who really pissed him off.  I didn't think he was actually trying to describe Hell, he was using Hell to describe his own thoughts.

Old-Time Christianity must've been interesting...  Worship candidate 'A', who wants you to be ignorant and kiss his feet or worship candidate 'B' who wants you to know stuff and have sex.  This is either the political election of all time, or I'm missing something.

Contradictory statements abound in the bible (and any other religious works, for that matter), and they lead to some really cool stuff from time to time.  God, being all-powerful, should be able to just rub out Satan at any time he wants to, right?  Well, there are those who would say that he is simply leaving him to test the faith of all believers, but the bible states in no uncertain terms (picked this up from a Gideon-delivered King James bible in some hotel somewhere) that God does not and will not test mankind.  I really would like to remember what passage that was, but it was quite some time ago that I read it...

Now we gots ourselves quite a pickle.  The answer?  "We mere humans cannot hope to fathom God's almighty plans".

This brings me back to some question posed by an ancient philosopher, which I decided was worth remembering.  "Can God create a rock so heavy that He cannot lift it?"

The almighty should be able to handle that paradox no problem.  After all, God is impotent.

Pages: 1 [2] 3