Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ROME FORTRESS 1.0  (Read 2563 times)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
ROME FORTRESS 1.0
« on: December 05, 2007, 01:02:00 pm »

So! I decided on a whim to start a new modding project. I've been working on this one for a few hours a day for a full week, so it's fairly comprehensive.

It is a full conversion for DF. You play the Roman Empire in a game against 5 other nations: the Carthaginians, Greeks, Persians, Germans, and Celts. Each nation has unique military types, items, and so forth.

The entire dictionary (yes, all 1500 words) has been converted by me to Latin.

New foods, toys, instruments, the removal of a few metals, and so forth are all done too. In addition most of the fantasy creatures have been removed and the non-fantasy ones have been 1. tinkered with and 2. made more common.

Instructions for installation are in the Readme, as well as a full list and background of all the civs and some of the units and items. The zip file is about 42kb, so even on a dialup modem it shouldn't take more than a few seconds.

PLEASE, if you find any bugs or weirdness, don't hesitate to comment here.

- Teldin

Edit: forgot the link!

http://teldin.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/rome+fortress.zip

[ December 05, 2007: Message edited by: Teldin ]

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
Re: ROME FORTRESS 1.0
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 01:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Teldin:
<STRONG>The entire dictionary (yes, all 1500 words) has been converted by me to Latin.</STRONG>
*whistles*

Currently messing with the language files myself, so realize that must have been pretty tedious...

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 03:07:00 pm »

This is all great, but with the old bug with [civ_controllable] civs getting the new enormous fortress settlements regardless of what's set...   I dunno, playing adventurer could be weird.

I'll try to see what happens, but I'm fairly sure it will be as I think it will. You'd need to comment out that string before creating a world, and put it back in before playing.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 06:08:00 pm »

Teldin, you are the modding god.
(I pray that Armok doesn't strike me down for blasphemy)
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 06:21:00 pm »

Nah, Armok only deals in death and despair. Nothing about modding in the job description, really.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Fenrir

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 06:30:00 pm »

Whoever's in charge of the "Bay Watcher" business ought to change it to "Mod God".

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 07:22:00 pm »

Good work  :)

One thing I noticed is that the Germans, who replace the goblins as the sieging race don't have all the weapon varieties assigned. You'll have German Macemen show up, but they will be unarmed. I noticed this in a mod I'm working on where I did something similar.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 07:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wiles:
<STRONG>Good work   :)

One thing I noticed is that the Germans, who replace the goblins as the sieging race don't have all the weapon varieties assigned. You'll have German Macemen show up, but they will be unarmed. I noticed this in a mod I'm working on where I did something similar.</STRONG>

Hmmm, that's interesting. I believe hammermen show up (and can be selected on the embark thing) because crossbows are considered hammers, but there are no actual hammer weapons. Not sure why macemen would be showing up, though.. There are no maces in this mod. Must just be hardcoded. Bah!

Someone should totally make a graphics tileset for this.  ;) I would have, but I have the artistic ability of a sponge, or perhaps some kind of rodent.

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 10:59:00 am »

No vomitoriums?

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 12:10:00 pm »

I looked through the readme, and this mod smells like it is based upon Rome: Total War. Awesome game. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

A while ago I started a dwarf fortress that was set up as a roman camp, with the spiked log walls and whatnot.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 01:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MindSnap:
<STRONG>I looked through the readme, and this mod smells like it is based upon Rome: Total War. Awesome game. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

A while ago I started a dwarf fortress that was set up as a roman camp, with the spiked log walls and whatnot.</STRONG>

Loosely based upon it, yes. My two favorite games are DF and R:TW, so I thought 'hey, why not combine the two?'. RTW is something like 5 years old now, yet I still play it 1-2 hours a day. I readily admit to being an addict.

[ December 06, 2007: Message edited by: Teldin ]

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 03:19:00 pm »

This looks really interesting! I've played a fair amount of R:TW myself. I'll try it out later and give feedback.

EDIT: Alright, I generated a world. The game crashed on one attempt to embark, but I tried it again and it worked out fine. I had a crappy map choice, so my roman city will be requiring massive amounts of wood. Impossible amounts of wood, really. I'll have to start near a mountain to get it right, really.

It is interesting, though. I just need to create a longer-lived fortress.

[ December 07, 2007: Message edited by: Gaulgath ]

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 10:25:00 am »

Hey, i found this on the Wiki.  It looks cool.  Any chance of it being continued?  

I know this is nit picky but corn came from America so any mention of it prior to the discovery of the new world is an anachronism.

Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 10:55:00 am »

quote:
corn ... anachronism

These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 01:19:00 pm »

It should require a lead barrel to make a still for the romans.  :)
Pages: [1] 2