Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Humorous/Memorable Adventurer fates?  (Read 1088 times)

Frankomatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Humorous/Memorable Adventurer fates?
« on: August 09, 2006, 05:23:00 pm »

I'm really, really, -really- bad at making a successful Dwarven Outpost, so in between whittling away the dwarven race in my world, I've been making a lot of (unfortunate) human adventurers. Most of them meeting horrible but predictable fates.

One that sticks out in my mind, however, isn't all that normal. On a quest to kill a cyclops with the most complicated name I've ever seen, he started getting shredded by naked mole rat dogs. After being horribly maimed, he ran into said cyclops and quickly met his fate.

Head smashed in with a helmet of fox leather. Ironic that head armor would be the cause of fatal head trauma.

Anyone else have any particularly interesting moments of death?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Humorous/Memorable Adventurer fates?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 05:24:00 pm »

I had a cyclops grab me by the head once, gouge at my eyes one by one, then punch me in the face while my head was held in the other hand, instantly killing me.  I think he was jealous of my binocular vision.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Frankomatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 05:32:00 pm »

On a note related to all the skull smashing... I just broke a Jaguar's brain and it survived that wound. Must've been a freak Jaguar.

Oh, and there's a named giant rat running around dubbed 'Troubleballs'. I assume he offed one of my characters since I don't recall ever being asked to kill a giant rat.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 05:35:00 pm »

Yeah, any animal that kills a historical figure (adventurer, dwarf, civilian, other killer, adv. companion) gets a name.

Could the jaguar walk afterward?  I think brain trauma at that level zeros the nerve net.  In game terms this means they can only crawl and push to attack.

Curiousepic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 05:50:00 pm »

After having instantly cleaved a skeleton in two with a single strike from a two handed sword previously with a swordsman adventurer (who finally succumbed to being ganged up on), my new wrestler character found himself in a truly epic unarmed struggle with a skeleton.  I think I was able to break his arms at various points so they were useless, and I kept trying to get a grasp on it's head to somehow twist it off... but apparently that's not an option.  desperately, I picked up a small rock from the ground and attempted to bash his skull to bits, but after perhaps 40 or 50 hits, there was still no visible damage.  As a result, it started biting chunks out of my lower body for what seemed like hours on end until I eventually bled to death.  I really love the visceral feel of the wrestling system, it's unlike anything I've seen in any other game.

[ August 09, 2006: Message edited by: Curiousepic ]

Frankomatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 05:58:00 pm »

Toady One: Not sure, as its lower body exploded into gore with one of my Drunk cronies punched him next round.  ;)

Curious: Wrestler characters rock. My most successful one strangled a minotaur to death before getting decapitated by a named Master Swordsman later.  ;)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 05:59:00 pm »

Obscure fact (I wanted to tell zonk this on irc before he left):  You can press capital 'A', then change mode to wrestle to do specific wrestling moves.  Since you tried things on the head, you probably know this, but it's important.  The most important uses are using your hands to grab the face/throat so you can gouge eyes and choke (useless on undead of course) and grabbing weapons that you've lost so you can twist them or wrestle them back.  I remember one fight I had with a giant where I got an arm around its throat while my axe was lost in its chest and I kept having to regrasp the axe and twist it until the giant passed out, then I could reapply the strangle hold until the giant woke up and so on.

Beowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 07:03:00 pm »

Here's my first death ever(nah it's the 2nd duh):
I find a new site. It's a cave.
In which there's an ettin (which later turns out was quite old, born in 500 and something IIRC) anyway upon crossing its way it talks to me introducing itself and telling me I'm gonna die.
I slash at it with my halberd and get rid of its left eye, cut its right ear and cut its brain all with the first lucky swing.
However it grabs me by my throat with its left arm and singlehandedly chokes me to death.

Later my new char made some friends and got the quest to kill said ettin. Friends find it first and take care of it. Later on in the open my char gets tired and I issue the sleep command.. while elephants and other critters were not too far off. I got stomped to death real quick..

1st ever was quite funny, too. I messed up asking something in return for stuff I marked for trade and get mad at the merchant.
My buddy swordsman didn't approve. Merchant grabs me, swordsman butchers me up..

Wrestling lions is good practice but I advise running from giant ones and when you're outnumbered..    :D

[ August 12, 2006: Message edited by: Beowulf ]

warf mode exists for giving you a break from and to supply sites and stuff for Adventure mode!

Svirfneblim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 07:23:00 pm »

I got killed by an antman, troglodyte and a rat. When i was already dead i got a message:
'rat spits out a chunk of human flesh'

Sheer brilliance.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 07:35:00 pm »

They should eat it, though!  Right now, they just...  kill for pleasure...  Beasts.

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 01:08:00 am »

Well my first adventurer, just died.

I just figured out how to use stairs and so promply went up them, and there is the guy i'm suppost to kill, a skeletel pikemaster... aswell as 2 zombies, 1 swings at me an misses I cut off his hand then charge him, breaking his arm, but unfortunatly instead of him getting knocked down, we both fall to the floor... the pikemaster proceds to stick his pike through my upper body, killing me.    :)

P.S. I like how its still telling me about the fight my drunks are haveing outside with the zombies.

[ August 10, 2006: Message edited by: Gedsaro ]

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 02:42:00 am »

Umm.. looks like the game messes up sometimes if you attack your allies by mistake. I was at some ruin, fighting a zombie. I didn't notice the announcement of the zombie's death, so I continued the Shift + A, Enter, a, Enter (I was breaking the bastard's arm, man that's fun) only to notice the "a" had changed to an ally of mine.

After that all my allies there said the same thing the quest monsters say. The "I am [name], Prepare to die!" thing. Being close to the border, I ran away to the nearest town. Well... Here things started go weird. Entering the town, I noticed that the former allies had still followed me and then they one by one said the thing again... and again.. and again.. Every time after one or two moves or attacks the same screen came up.

"I am [ally1]. Prepare to die!"
"I am [ally2]. Prepare to die!"
"I am [ally1]. Prepare to die!"
"I am [ally2]. Prepare to die!"
etc.

I don't know why I posted it here.. It was a funny death in a way, though, getting killed by own allies while they repeatedly chant their own name.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 04:59:00 am »

It sounds like the Princess Bride kinda, except they don't say "you killed my father" in between.

I'll have to check their speech counter...

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 06:46:00 am »

I tried the 'A'wrestlin thing and it's nice...although some things need improving, like, if you have BOTH your hands on a neck/throat, you should be able to strangle with both at once. Also...I once attacked an ally by mistake...as said above, they started saying 'I'm X, prepare to die!'...I was laughing when one my allies, who had killed two KOBOLDS, boasted about it...Like 'I'm XXX who slew this and this and made this and this with their remains!"..:These dwarves are truly shameless...boasting about the killing of a kobold?eww...

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 10:13:00 am »

My most heroic adventurer, who had battled giants and won, multiple times, forced his way through a horde of the undead, in search of a Zombie macelord.

Descending the stairs into the ruins, he was immediately confronted by the deadly foe. Then, before he could do anything else, a zombie elite bowman shot him THROUGH BOTH LUNGS! He stumbled from the ruins, while his fellows continued the fight, and suffocated on his own blood in the ruins above.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games
Pages: [1] 2