Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Project: Prehistoric  (Read 1435 times)

thehunterunseen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Project: Prehistoric
« on: November 15, 2007, 08:34:00 pm »

I, as others, am making a prehistoric mod for Dwarf fortress. Now you might be thinking, "Oh jeez, another one already?". But think not, my fellow DF players, for this will be different.
        My aim for this will be to completely re haul the creature system to realistically deal with the size and power of our prehistoric friends. Almost every creature will be replaced as well as certain rocks, plants, and .....other stuff. Some new creatures will be made up so as to fit in DF as well as Prehistory (think Velociraptor-men!).
  Hopefully myself and other mod creators can work well to make this project work and work well.

Goals:

Create revamped sizes: IN PROGRESS (but framework pretty much laid out)
Create like a billion new creatures: IN PROGRESS
Create new plants: ON HOLD
Create new rocks: ON HOLD
Playtest and balance: EVERY LITTLE WHILE

For anyone who wants to, HELP would be greatly appreciated. At the moment I'm looking for any kinds of suggestions or Ideas about creatures to implement, just suggest anything you want really.

[ November 15, 2007: Message edited by: thehunterunseen ]

[ November 16, 2007: Message edited by: thehunterunseen ]

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project: Prehistoric
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 10:21:00 pm »

well, it would be nice to hear a little more of what you are doing/plan to do, but this sounds like a pretty massive project and I wish you luck.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

thehunterunseen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 10:42:00 pm »

Well, so far all I've done is made a couple of Dinos and deleted a bunch of other creatures. But I've also been working on the size differences so as to better reflect the actual creature size and power. For example, Dwarves are now size 3, along with velocaraptors. While a saltwater crocodile is a 7, and a T-rex is a 16. I've also realized that size is really just power, so The setup may be changed. However If I keep it like this I can foresee a much, much harder adventurer mode!

Oh and in order to help with all of the crazy dino names and types. I'm looking for a Spriter/Graphics guy that could help with that!

[ November 15, 2007: Message edited by: thehunterunseen ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 04:45:00 am »

Mmm....  I am suddenly filled with the desire to run around in a loincloth throwing boulders at stuff and then smacking them with a legbone.  While grunting.

Pity ADV mode lags so much for me...

EDIT: Typo fix, and suggestion.  "Neanderthal" nuisance race, but larger and stronger than the more civilised humans.

[ November 16, 2007: Message edited by: Kagus ]

thehunterunseen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 07:51:00 pm »

added^

well I'm making slow progress. Had an Idea to make the smelter into a flintknapping workshop, but I am realizing that weapons aren't a matgloss item and therefore can't be made there  :(

I'll post a list of added dinos in a while. Right now im picking them for gameplay and testing reasons (usually by size so i can get an even slope of power).

thehunterunseen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 12:03:00 pm »

OK heres a creature list of things in so far. After that is a list of things I want to add before a release.

-And these are not added yet
  • Triceratops
  • Stegosaurus
  • Kentrasaurus
  • Apatasaurus
  • Pterodactyl
  • Iguanadon
  • Hadrosaurus
  • Maiasaurus
  • Diploducus
  • Plesiasaur
  • Moasaur
  • Icthyasaur
  • Protoceratops
  • Brachiasaurus
  • Archeopterex
  • Anklosaurus
  • -Other Pterasaurs
  • -Small Mammals

As always I am open to suggestions an comments!

Maher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 01:03:00 pm »

Wait, you can add weapons... I was trying to add long bows but I couldn't get it to generate the right weapon (kept getting iron short swords or something), just write it up like:

[REACTION:LBOW_MAKING]
[NAME:make long bow (use ore)]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:METAL_ORE:COPPER]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:LBOW:WOOD:OAK]

(This isn't the exact code but something like it)
you have to add the weapon to the item_weapon and the entity_default files but it can be done... hopefully with better luck than I had.

thehunterunseen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 01:52:00 pm »

Sweet! then maybe I will try to add some flintknapping to the neanderthals!