Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: *Title Edit: Modding in Increased Racial Distinctiveness  (Read 2635 times)

M Shadowy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
*Title Edit: Modding in Increased Racial Distinctiveness
« on: November 14, 2007, 06:38:00 pm »

Alright... could use some help here.  After running through a number of possible solutions to my elf problem, and finding none of them palatable, I decided I'd just make a nuisance offshoot "race" of berserk elves.  And then I figured that, while I was at it, I'd entitize the Giants because hey, why the hell not.

I put the savage elves in the woods, and the giants in the plains.  And found, to my dismay, that they would form 'civilizations' in their evil cave places, something the Kolbolds never did.  At least not openly.

Can't see what I'm doing wrong, so I'm kind of... confused...

[ November 20, 2007: Message edited by: M Shadowy ]

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Title Edit: Modding in Increased Racial Distinctiveness
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 07:55:00 pm »

I don't know much about modding in the new version, but in the old one the nuisance tag generally makes civs in caves so I think it might be connected to the tag.

M Shadowy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 10:53:00 pm »

Well, I'll get back to trying to figure things out tommorow.  For now I put the wild elves and the giants into the mountain ranges.  While this started as an attempt at allowing the elves the ability to buy upgraded equipment, it's mostly developed into an attempt to make the races more distinct from each other by giving them more distinctive equipment, clothes and etc.

Unfortunately, I kinda ran out of ideas for armor,clothes, and weapons for the dwarves, and clothes and weapons for the goblins.  I can't even think of anything for the humans.

Anyway, link:

Das Zeep

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 12:22:00 am »

I think giving a civ a language (TRANSLATION token) makes it a proper civ.  I had some trouble early on with a simple plains barbarian civ (as an alternative to goblins).  They never appeared in Fortress mode.  The only significant difference I could find between them and goblins is goblins had a language while barbarians had utterances (like kobolds).  So perhaps you should remove the language from the "berserk elf" entity and add [UTTERANCES] to the elf creature (which should have no effect on elf civs that actually have languages, so you won't even have to create a separate creature).

M Shadowy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 01:41:00 pm »

I'd actually already thought of that, but it had no effect.  Still, putting them in the mountains seems to have worked just fine, although making the NUISANCE tag seems to have them using metal.  I'll just have to set them to use MINOR_METAL so I never again have to face down a Sword Elf armed with an -*<<Adamantine>>*- again.

In other news it seems as if I keep expanding the scope of my modding efforts - I'm currently making a series of plants.  Some of which, when milled, can then be smelted to produce "metal."  ... weird, huh?  Oh, yeah, I'm probably gonna make it so every 'good' race can build fortresses as well.

EDIT: Aaalriiighhhht... just finished getting around to making my modifications, and I just was curious... is it normal to have a controllable civ's cities all turn in Mountain Halls?  ... we so totally need a SETTLEMENT TYPE tag.

[ November 17, 2007: Message edited by: M Shadowy ]

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 12:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by M Shadowy:
<STRONG>we so totally need a SETTLEMENT TYPE tag.

[ November 17, 2007: Message edited by: M Shadowy ]</STRONG>

Like [MOUNTAIN_SETTLEMENTS] or [FOREST_SETTLEMENTS] or [PLAINS_SETTLEMENTS]?

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

M Shadowy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 02:04:00 am »

No.  Like [SETTLEMENT_TYPE:TOWN], [SETTLEMENT_TYPE:TOWER], or [SETTLEMENT_TYPE:MOUNTAIN_HALL].

See, the current settlement tags both define where people live and what type of settlement they have, with the exception of the [NUISANCE], [BABYSNATCHER], and apparently [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] which put the respective races in caves, Dark Fortresses, or Mountain Halls regardless of where they live.  This is rather annoying.  I'd much rather be able to tell the game "put these guys in forests, and have them live in a town" as opposed to "hey, these guys all live in a forest, now have 'em all hang out, or whatever."

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 03:22:00 am »

That would be nice.  I never knew [civ_controllable] put them in mountain halls, but thinking about it I think I did encounter a situation like that once.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 09:33:00 am »

Good ideas.

Entities should use the same [BIOME] tags that creatures and trees do, [SETTLEMENT_TYPE:XXX] is a very good idea, there should be many options for that;

Examples:
[SETTLEMENT_TYPE:NOMADIC] (has no settlements at all but has a lot of caravans whit wagons)
[SETTLEMENT_TYPE:WILD] (like elves do currently, having no buldings)
[SETTLEMENT_TYPE:PACK] (like a mix of NOMADIC and WILD, normaly travels in packs  trough the wilds whit no tame animals or wagons (and probably in most mods no technology), but are intelligent, has culture and can cooperate in large numbers when tretened, dolphins)
[SETTLEMENT_TYPE:TREE] (like elves WILL do according to devlog, naturally grown houses in giant trees)
[SETTLEMENT_TYPE:HIVE] (a large structure made from some some natural extract from the creatur, otherwise like WILD)
And of course the already existing ones like towers and mountain halls.

[civ_controllable] should only affect if the race is playable, and not how the AI builds the towns.

[MOUNTAIN_SETTLEMENTS], [FOREST_SETTLEMENTS] etc. should be gotten rid of completely.
//////////////////////////////////////////

I should really put this in the suggestions forum.  :roll:

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 01:31:00 pm »

For now, you can get around the forced cave, tower, and mountain hall settlements by adding the appropriate tokens after world generation.  I'm not sure if NUISANCE and BABYSNATCHER civs will work properly that way in Fortress mode, but I've added CIV_CONTROLLABLE spontaneously and had it work just fine (in the old version, though I suspect it still works).

M Shadowy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 01:33:00 pm »

Feel free Armok, I's not goan' stop ya.

Anyway, problems aside, work still proceeds on the rendering further distinctiveness to each race.  Elves are done, Goblins are mostly done.  I suppose I shouldn't be surprised considering that both races are rather adversarial; making them seem savage and/or militaristic was rather easy.

Dwarves are still proving problematic; I feel I need to approach the titular race with care in order to keep their dwarfy feel.

Humans... well, after careful though I figured I'd keep them mostly as is, with the occasional cannibalized bit from some other culture.

Edit:  Also, that's nifty ED.  I'll have to keep that in mind.

[ November 18, 2007: Message edited by: M Shadowy ]

M Shadowy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 10:48:00 pm »

A quick question if you will everyone:

Is this Dwarfy?  More specifically is the outfit Dwarfy?

P.S.  Jesus ow my hand.

MyBeardIsOnFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 11:47:00 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean by "dwarfy", but from the beard it looks like a dwarf. Ironically, the outfit reminds me of this:
http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/d/dreddss.jpg
iantspider stands before you!
Giantspider...killed Yourlast Adventurer
Giantspider...killed Yo Momma

M Shadowy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 12:28:00 am »

Oh sorry, guess I should have been more clear:  I'm trying to give each species a rather distinctive culture, including unique weapons, armor, and clothing.  I'm trying to decide if an outfit like the above is a good or bad idea to outfit the Dwarves with.

Also, have some elf fanservice; 'snot like they're good for much else.  I was also intending to get a picture of Goblins done tonight, but my hand hurts too much to continue.  Stupid Tablet.

Edit:  ... just realized, but I screwed up the face on this one, didn't I?

DOUBLE Edit:  After a few futile tries, realized the problems were too many.  Realizing it's futile to work on something so flawed, I'll start anew.

[ November 21, 2007: Message edited by: M Shadowy ]

[ November 22, 2007: Message edited by: M Shadowy ]

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 06:57:00 am »

typical stupid elf, coming to a battlefield in a swimsuit
My dwarves are not your dwarves.
Pages: [1] 2