Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Prehistoria  (Read 7994 times)

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prehistoria
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2007, 05:20:00 pm »

Something neat I noticed today...

In my current fortress, the elves brought me a tame Tyrannosaur in my second year (which, of course, I *had* to buy). It's served loyally and well as a watchdog the entire time, spending the vast majority of its time patrolling in front of my main gate, eating kobold thieves and goblin snatchers. I've also had a couple megabeast invasions, though, and I noticed this engraving commemorating one of them...

:D

Karzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2007, 07:32:00 pm »

Wow, I may actually be looking forward to the elves coming from now on...

Also, sweet engraving.

Life is short, live it.

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2007, 10:25:00 pm »

The world I'm running now has a few prehistoric trees added in, as well as some fossils. I'll try to get to the outstanding requests this coming week, then put out a release sometime mid-week.

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2007, 04:12:00 pm »

New version (0.05a)

New additions:
Spinosaur (giant carnivore, requested)
Gomphotheres (four-tusked elephant, suggested)
Jaekelopterus (giant sea scorpion, suggested)
Pteranodon (flying reptile, requested)

Archaeopteris (prehistoric tree)
Calamites (prehistoric tree)
Glossopteris (prehistoric shrub)

dinosaur fossils (stone)
ammonite fossils (gem)
fern fossils (gem)
dense ammonite fossils (flux)

Grantyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2007, 04:27:00 pm »

Nice job. I commend your work.

Karzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2007, 04:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Grantyman:
<STRONG>Nice job. I commend your work.</STRONG>

I second that.  This is one of those nice additions that don't change the game in every way.  Me, I like to pack in as many different creatures in my worlds as I can.

Life is short, live it.

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2007, 06:33:00 pm »

It'll get nicer  :)

Right now, all the creatures of a given "type" occupy pretty much the exact same biomes. In the future, once I get the actual lineup solidified, I'll be taking a second pass and filling in biomes so that, for example, all the dinosaurs have something other than [BIOME_ANY_TROPICAL]. There's also still a lot of work to do with regards to size, modvalue, petvalue, etc.

Still, thanks for the kind words.

Lazy_Perfectionist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2007, 04:58:00 am »

I want to say thank you, offer encouragements, and share this website. http://www.search4dinosaurs.com/

It doesn't offer anything practical for purposes of making the mod. But it offers a lot for the purposes of enjoying the mod- that is, envisioning what's munching on you. So does a GIS, but there was a large collection of nice art on this site.

Bloat325, ADDITIONAL LIQUID TYPES, (Future): Candidates for new flowing "liquids" include sand, oil, mud, blood of various sorts, slime, farm products like grain and beer for the beer fountain. Only a limited number of materials from plant raws like beer

Lavastine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2008, 04:19:00 am »

This mod is dead then? Its on page 5 or so now...

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2008, 02:31:00 am »

No, it's not dead. I just havn't had the time to start the next phase (balancing).

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2008, 04:15:00 pm »

This mod is brilliant. There's nothing like trying to strangle a T Rex to death with your bare hands before having your left arm and right leg torn off allowing it to run away leaving you to the mercy of a kobold child to ironically strangle you to death over about 12 hours.

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2008, 03:46:00 pm »

quote:
 There was something about prehistoric giant scorpion/spider things on the Discovery Channel.

I loved that show, walking with monsters. There are giant scorpions in DF already, but they weren't aquatic and terrestrial like the ones from a billion years ago. Also, back before there were any trees, giant mushrooms were pretty much the only thing around, foliage wise. If only tower caps could grow outside hehe.

This is a great idea, everyone has there own wishlist, but I'm gonna' try to build on what Khosan was saying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brontoscorpio  

That's the meter long giant scorpion, Brontoscorpio, which they assume was aquatic and terrestrial. Very cool imo.

Another fun poisonous monster,

Euchambersia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euchambersia

There was also a pretty large spider mentioned on walking with monsters, about the size of a human head. Might make an excellent middle ground between cave spider vermin and giant cave spider death-machines. They found out that it was innacurate after the show aired, the thing never existed as large as they said.

Keep up the awesome work.

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2008, 03:24:00 pm »

Inspiration struck as I read Toady's latest updates (specifically, "Allowed deities to be appropriate local animals") and I will be making a separately-packed add-on mod to this to add a Neanderthal civ that worships animals. Hopefully we can get a deific T-Rex out of this   :D

Again, it'll be a separate mod, so those that just want the dinosaurs can pass on the cavemen.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2008, 07:39:00 pm »

That would be beautiful.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

noleti

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2008, 04:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrving:
<STRONG>Wishlist:
T-Rex
Utahraptor
Dromiceiomimus

Get the reference and earn a dino-burger.</STRONG>

I cannot believe no one got the reference to one of the best online comics: QWANTZ.COM!

Mjam, Dino-Burger

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6