Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Replacement music?  (Read 2308 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Replacement music?
« on: June 03, 2008, 06:16:00 am »

Not that I don't like the beautiful track that comes with DF, any continuously looping music gets old after a while.

I didn't really think about it until I heard the music from the Phyta game mentioned in the Other Games forum. It reminded me heavily of...  Arcanum. There were some beautiful tracks in Arcanum. So I dug around for a bit and got some new music for DF that I currently use.

Yes, I am aware I can listen to WinAmp in the background. And yes I know there already was a thread about listening to music while playing DF. This is about a specific "mini-pack" that replaces the intro, menu, and ingame music of DF with three Arcanum music pieces - the Towns, Dwarven, and Dungeons tracks, respectively. I don't know what the policies are on distributing this stuff, but I don't think anyone cares much at this point.

DFFD page.

I might compile a more extensive pack later, with several tracks mixed into the in-game music. Too bad DF doesn't allow multiple in-game music tracks.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement music?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 02:14:00 pm »

Let's put it in the suggestion boards: add "midi player" in DF =).
I like Arcanum music very much and play DF without music because hearing of the same fragment for monthes kills my brain. THanks for the content =).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »

Eh... I liked Arcanum's music, but using the energetic dungeon tune gets just as grating when repeating in DF as it did in Stillwater.  I think the softer town music (which is good in the intro) or dwarf music would be better suited to fortress mode.

Great idea though, and thanks for the nostalgia.

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 07:38:00 pm »

It should be fair to distribute Arcanum's soundtrack, as Sierra allows free downloads off their page (or did, it was a very slow server evidently).

With the way DF handles music, the only way to get an interesting in-game loop to work is to merge several songs together into one uber-long track. Maybe we can suggest DF reading randomly from songs in a "playlist" directory.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 10:26:00 pm »

Actually, the tracks are Dungeons, Wheel Clan, and Mines, in that order. And yeah, it seems the musical scores are freely distributable. All the better.

I wonder if I could merge together music from Total Annihilation and Arcanum? Both use live orchestra music (string quartet + variations in Arcanum, symphonic orchestra of undetermined size in TA) so at least the overall style should be compatible.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 01:42:02 am »

Necroing!

I'm fond of The Boundary from Radiata Stories since having it reccomended to me; it has a very DF-y feel to it, while not being as depressing as the basic music.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 07:04:55 am »

Thank you :). For the last year I play mostly with "tristram" theme from Diablo 2 :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 02:01:15 pm »

Thank you :). For the last year I play mostly with "tristram" theme from Diablo 2 :).

Yeah, the basic DF music always reminded me of Act I of Diablo II.

Understandable, though. I've played a LOT of Diablo II.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 11:20:48 pm »

Does anyone remember the DWARF Music from "Secret of Mana" the original? it kicked ASS< i am trying to find a good cut of it on youtube but so far no luck.

EDIT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biaFj0S1jcs
BAM FOUND IT!

eh... its a bit more repetitive then I remembered.. needs some work or remixing...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 11:28:50 pm by Crossroads Inc. »
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 11:52:55 pm »

How about a slower, slightly more forceful version of Butter Building from Kirby's adventure?
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 12:14:46 am »

How about a slower, slightly more forceful version of Butter Building from Kirby's adventure?
By the Emperor, that would be amazing. If someone would be kind enough to get me an MP3 or somesuch, I'll mess around with it in Garageband or maybe Traktor to get it how you like.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 12:16:59 am »

Whatever is pciked, it needs to foillow a few things...

It has to sound "Busy" the sound of many many mnay people all working VERY hard.
It has to sound slightly chaotic, a little bit fast tempo in places a little bit of "WTF Is going on!"
It has to sound 'Fun'

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 12:19:31 am »

Whatever is pciked, it needs to foillow a few things...

It has to sound "Busy" the sound of many many mnay people all working VERY hard.
It has to sound slightly chaotic, a little bit fast tempo in places a little bit of "WTF Is going on!"
It has to sound 'Fun'
On the track of stuff from kirby (goddamn I love those games), how about this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcePF8gyhs8&feature=related

Dedede's theme. It sounds busy, chaotic, and his boss fight in Kirby's Dreamland was pretty Fun. Especially on the Extra Game mode.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 12:31:02 am »

ehh its too apparently "Boss Music" I hear it, and im going to fight someone, not over see 100+ semi annoying dwarfs wiht a pension of dying in humorous ways...

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 12:32:22 am »

ehh its too apparently "Boss Music" I hear it, and im going to fight someone, not over see 100+ semi annoying dwarfs wiht a pension of dying in humorous ways...
Hm, I know what you mean. Ah well, each to their own!
Pages: [1] 2