Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: where did i go wrong?  (Read 1667 times)

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
where did i go wrong?
« on: June 01, 2008, 11:15:00 am »

i decided to seriously go through the original raws and kick out the stuff that is either unnecessary or annoying (imho) and added a couple items that i wanted to try out.  when i replaced the modded raws and tried to generate a map i found that it doesn't work, so i turned on the map rejection log option.  the biggest reason for map rejection seems to be "Not enough low altitudes after shift up" followed by "No entity definitions available".

-i haven't messed with the entity_default raw except to remove whips.
-in the matgloss stone layer raw there's only obsidian and marble, but they have tags for all the different possible layers
-in the matgloss soil raw there is only one soil and a sand, plus the three that go under oceans
-i changed the deer to be able to roam all biomes, but they're still listed in the large temperate raw

does anyone have any suggestions to help? thanks in advance.

cause of unexplainable mischief

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: where did i go wrong?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 01:12:00 pm »

You gots to put the code in the correct file doc, it won't list deer in another folder automatically.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 01:29:00 pm »

The creature_***.txt name doesn't affect anything, it's just for easier editing, so your deer may stay there with any biomes.

The rejection log says that you've done something wrong with your dwarven entity or entities in general; the problem with low attitudes is not a problem, it's one of the common rejection things; but the second one states that the game cannot find entities to place on map.
Look into contents of the errorlog.txt and post them here.

[ June 01, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 02:36:00 pm »

Wipe out all the files in your data/objects folder, and then generate a new world.  If you ever remove or change the actual files, you have to clear out the data/objects folder so that there's no clutter left behind.

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 04:27:00 pm »

strange, i removed these things, and the game is still complaining about them... but there was no mention of these the first couple times i tried to generate a map.

Unrecognized Stone Token: [ENVIRONMENTOLIVINE: Environment Spec Stone Not Found, Token - GABBRO
IMP_FIRE size to small for non-vermin -- reset to 2
path fail: olmman,20,111,3 -> 21,110,7: Id #927:Path Goal Seek Station Flood:Station Wilderness Roamer at 21,110,7
loop path fail: <same> dwarf,Dump Item,75,54,17 -> 60,57,17: Id #858:Path Goal Store Item:Station Mill Building at 85,53,18
DIAMOND_CLEAR: Environment Spec Stone Not Found, Token - DIAMOND_FY
DIAMOND_RED: Environment Spec Stone Not Found, Token - DIAMOND_FY
DIAMOND_GREEN: Environment Spec Stone Not Found, Token - DIAMOND_FY
DIAMOND_BLUE: Environment Spec Stone Not Found, Token - DIAMOND_FY
DIAMOND_YELLOW: Environment Spec Stone Not Found, Token - DIAMOND_FY
DIAMOND_BLACK: Environment Spec Stone Not Found, Token - DIAMOND_FY

i removed olivine, gabbro, fire imps, olmmans and colored diamonds (and several others).  i thought i had gone through every file, and i deleted the original files and replaced them en-mass, not one at a time.

**after fixing a pair of typos and catching a couple abberations leftover in the reactions raw i'm down to these rejection reasons:

The Plane of Myth, region1: Not enough peaks
The Plane of Myth, region1: Not enough low altitudes after shift up
The Plane of Myth, region1: No entity definitions available

maybe i'm still missing some essential ingredient for making land?

edit: i can now get as far as the age of myth, but it rejects the map at that point every time.  i still have playable dwarves along with elves, humans, goblins and kobolds.

[ June 01, 2008: Message edited by: Wood Gnome ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 04:36:00 pm »

When I was working on the Simplicity mod, I had two layers.  Stone and obsidian.  The only place that obsidian showed up was around lava, stone had every other spot to itself.

For soil I had dirt and sand.  No ocean-specific soils, although sand did have the required tags.

I don't think that's your problem, since the game will create new stone types for when there's a missing layer (it's called "rock" and weighs a ridiculous amount).  

What are all the names of your text files?

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

i haven't touched the file names, only shortened what they contained.  i suspect that the problem lies somewhere with the race raws, but it's nearly 2am and i must go to bed.  i'll kick it about again tomorrow and if i figure out the problem i'll post again.  i may replace the entity and standard raws with the originals (minus a couple of annoying critters) and see if that helps.

i kinda suspect that my problem partly involves not having any entities for lava or chasm(?) and the game wants to put one there, but i'm not sure.  maybe i'll make some kind-hearted magma gremlins or something and see if it helps.  i was thinking of making a new breed of elf that liked to buy bone and wooden items etc. and call them hippies (hey, they're long-haired peace-loving idiots, why not?).

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 06:13:00 pm »

The fact is that there's nothing about length of their hair or a peace-loving.
These are just a common community opinion only, and it has nothing real with the game.

[ June 01, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 10:24:00 pm »

There aren't any entities for lava or chasms by default. So that's not your problem.

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 06:43:00 am »

right, i re-did the creature standard and entity default again from original game raws and added a new elf-type forest race.  everything is good now with world generation and i was able to play adventure mode as the new race.

happy with my success i tried to start a fortress, but every time i try to embark the game crashes.

-generate worlds: works
-play adventurer: works
-embark to dwarf fort: fails

i'm gonna try switching the playable race to humans or something to see if it's a problem with the dwarf entity raw or something else.  if this doesn't work i'll have to go over the dwarf entity again and maybe replace the original back into the game.

edit: hurray! ironing out the dwarf entity raw got me back up and running again!  i discovered that Rick's adjust start utility seems to corrupt the map file and crashes the game, but i can live without it (cheating is naughty   :D ).  now to run a few tests to see what else i need to fix... where did the horses and cows go, and the colored stone only shows up in veins instead of chunks....

thanks to everyone who helped me out, i really appreciate it   :D

[ June 02, 2008: Message edited by: Wood Gnome ]

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 10:20:00 am »

*shamefull double post*

managed to goof up something again, but i'm too frustrated to mess with it anymore today.  what does "Impoverished Word Selector" mean, anyway?!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 11:16:00 am »

Something got messed up with word selections. Make sure you specify valid parameters for SELECT_SYMBOL and CULL_SYMBOL tags in entities.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India