Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

Author Topic: Modding questions thread.  (Read 20037 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Modding questions thread.
« Reply #225 on: January 18, 2009, 03:59:04 pm »

Butcher them before they adopt someone.  It's that easy.

Although I guess to answer your question from a modding perspective, you could remove 2LUNGS from their body definition or something.

Wouldn't I have to re-gen a world?

No, I don't think anybody had to regen for the "Cat cancels dump" fix, which uses a modded body part.  It'll lead to unhappy thoughts for sure though.  Really, just butcher them.

I wish cats were robots made of awesomemantine that were incapable of love and hated goblins.
That is why you mod DF.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 18, 2009, 04:14:31 pm »

Reaction 1: where's the raws entry for the cave vine plant?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thought I'd pasted that one in.  ::)

Your reagent should look like this: PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:VINE_CAVE:NO_MATGLOSS
That one causes a 'dwarf cancels job: needs sliver barb' message.

where VINE_CAVE is whatever token you chose for the cave vine entry.  Was ASH just a placeholder or what?
No, that was based on information I found in this thread. Plants don't work well with reactions, and you have to play around with the material tokens to get what you want. The example given in the thread is:

[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:BONE:NO_RACEGLOSS]

which produces a sweet pod. This is because BONE in the fourth item token, and sweet pods are by default the fourth plant in the matgloss_plant.txt file. 

The char pod plants aren't showing up in the farm plot because the plant has no biomes
It's the queensfoil that isn't showing up in the farm plot. The char pods are the result of the queensfoil being processed, and they don't have a biome because I don't want traders bringing the expensive and hard-to-produce dye product.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 18, 2009, 04:26:51 pm »

Wait, you didn't generate a new world after adding the new plants?  That's what the sliver barb thing seems to indicate.  You definitely need to -- right now you're screwing up the material indices.

That might be the cause of the queensfoil farm problem too.  Gen a new world and let us know what happens.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 18, 2009, 06:04:00 pm »

@Sutremaine
The information in that thread is outdated, it applied to an old version.

If you are in doubt about the item token to use, create an embark profile and read embark_profiles.txt. Doing that for plump helmets gives me "PLANT:NONE:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP:NONE".
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 06:08:22 pm by Vucar Fikodastesh »
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 18, 2009, 06:20:20 pm »

Wait, you didn't generate a new world after adding the new plants?  That's what the sliver barb thing seems to indicate.
I put the entries in before genning the world and have only been altering the properties of each plant and reaction. But I'll give it a go anyway.

Okay, initial tests (still using hide root as a placeholder for queensfoil) show that the cave vine reaction is now demanding goldspear (new dye plant. It works fine), whether I use VINE_CAVE or ASH for the material token. The queensfoil hide root reaction takes a random plant and turns it into "plants", which can be used as the reagent for the reaction.

Another oddity is that the elves are bringing me goods made of a mystery material which occasionally displays with a weight in the high six / low seven figures. I've narrowed it down to rope reed, which I took out of the raws when I added everything else.

Time for a clean install, I think. btw, what's the limit on the number of reactions in the reactions file? I just remembered I added some do-nothing reactions for future use.

@Vucar

Yeah, I tried taking a look at the embark profiles to see what the game was using (so are plants perfectly usable in smelter reactions in this version?). No luck. I think I broke something...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 18, 2009, 06:25:37 pm »

Weird.  Yeah, you could try a clean install.  You could also try deleting the contents of /data/objects -- that doesn't seem to matter in the current version, but according to |2amroy, it did at one point.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 18, 2009, 07:36:08 pm »

Cleaning data/objects didn't work. I'm going to do a clean install, mod things back in one at a time, and take the opportunity to organise and note the alterations.

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 19, 2009, 02:56:38 pm »

uhm sorry to bother again with this but

anyone knows if the size limits damblock? for example dwarves that are size 6 cant have more than i dont know 10 damblock while a creature size 10 can have a damblock of 14 (these are made up numbers, im just trying to explain the idea of what im asking)

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 20, 2009, 09:22:12 am »

No, there is no limit like that. The limit is only the highest number of buffers (upsy? Wrong term?) in each type of bit, 256 or 65535, as Sean (all hail glorious Sean!) said.

Just test it, FOR SCIENCE!

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 20, 2009, 12:57:29 pm »

normally i would as i do with most of my modings but in this case i cant really test this... keep in mind its not something i can see normally

Vlcice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multiple caravans?
« Reply #235 on: January 21, 2009, 03:46:15 pm »

I'm making a (or fixing up someone else's) mod to play fortress mode with sergals, a sort of gnollish creature. There are two types of sergals playable, northern and southern.

I have a bit of a weird problem at the moment where three caravans all arrived on the very same historic day at the beginning of spring - one from southern sergal allies, one from the northern sergals, and one from elves. While they don't seem to mind sharing the depot, this seems like overkill. Is there any way I can control caravan behaviour? Ideally southern sergals should never trade with nothern ones and vice versa, and I'd definitely like to prevent this kind of collision again. I also don't get the idea that elves would like sergals very much, so controlling trading allies based on factors like that would be nice too.

I was also wondering if it's possible to control who will siege your fortress as a given race. It would seem appropriate to have northern sergals periodically siege southern fortresses and vice versa, too.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 21, 2009, 03:48:46 pm »

There's an entity tag like ACTIVE_SEASON or something that controls what season merchants arrive in -- if all three have different ones, that shouldn't happen again.

However, since entity tags seem to get frozen at world gen, you'll probably have to create a new world.

e: yeah, here it is: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Entity_tokens#Behavior

Vlcice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 21, 2009, 04:12:38 pm »

Thanks, I'll have to do that to limit that. Is it possible to restrict trading partners, or is that hardcoded?

Not all entity tags seem to get frozen at worldgen, so I'll see if it can work without regenning. The original modder left out the TRANSLATION token, which resulted in a bunch of nameless sergals at the first imigration wave. Adding that fixed it for the next wave without needing to do a new worldgen.

Edit: I'm having a problem with weapons, but didn't want to doublepost so I'm doing it here.

Sergals are roughly human-sized with two arms, and have size 7 defined. Mauls and pikes are defined as being some of their weapons, and they're capable of making them at a smithy, but I'm having some trouble with them. Hammersergals will refuse to pick up mauls, and one hammersergal immigrant who genned on the map with a maul in hand dropped it to spar despite having the hammer weapon setting. I think it must be a size issue, or a problem with being able to wield it, but I'm not quite sure what to do to fix it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 11:29:50 pm by Vlcice »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 21, 2009, 11:58:22 pm »

everyone playing a mod seems to run into this eventually.
THose weapons are of a size that you have to use two hands.
Set their Soldier Settings to ''two''. it tells them it's ok to use two hands. so they do. all is well with the world (except the cats complaining they have no hands.)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 22, 2009, 12:18:07 am »

Thanks, I'll have to do that to limit that. Is it possible to restrict trading partners, or is that hardcoded?

Another thing that you can do is to change the [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_XXX:?] numbers to different levels. This could mean that at the beginning while your fort is small it will attract less traders. Then, as your fort grows it will attract more and more, just as how cities will attract more businessmen than little towns will in real life.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19