Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19

Author Topic: Modding questions thread.  (Read 20044 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Modding questions thread.
« Reply #180 on: October 05, 2008, 09:18:05 am »

Your itemcorpse tag is messed up. Itemcorpse can only create one of anything at a time, so instead of this [ITEMCORPSE:1:THREAD:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STRAW] it should be [ITEMCORPSE:THREAD:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STRAW]
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 05, 2008, 09:38:15 am »

Temperature. Sure we can make things FOR SURE blow up/melt, but does anyone know more specifics? like "room temperature" even? I'm guessing it's different for different biomes, but it's hard to tell what affects it. for instance, do those little "Ice Nuggets" mined out of glaciers cool things down around them? or do temperature mechanics just interact the one way, to make them melt.

To take this temp-thing further, Can I live on a glacier and use metals that would spontaneously combust in the lowlands? If so, will arrows made of them spontaneously combust within the bodies of my opponents?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 05, 2008, 06:57:40 pm »

Quick, simple question: I want to change a soil layer (specifically, silty clay) so that it can be used as sand. How? And do I have to gen a new world for it?

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 05, 2008, 07:03:36 pm »

I'm not sure if you have to regen, but add a [SOIL_SAND] tag to the dirt in question.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 06, 2008, 01:03:11 am »

The only times that you have to regen (with the exception of some init things) are when adding or removing an entire entry (a new stone, creature, plant, etc.) if you are just editing a past one, you do not have to.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 07, 2008, 12:26:17 am »

What exactly is the reaction limit, and is it hardcoded or just per-reaction-adding file?  The reason I ask is because I saw a mod that adds a variety of qualities to various ores (with higher-quality ores providing more bars per smelting) but it didn't have entries for varying qualities of the mixed ores (re: galena, tetrahedrite, etc) and I was wondering if I would be able to add enough reactions and items to also give them quality rankings, because I love the idea.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 07, 2008, 01:46:24 am »

There is no limit to any type of editable thing in dwarf fortress. This currently includes stones, plants, creatures, metals, entities, and reactions. Once you get to a certain point though, you might want to create a new text file to hold them. If you do so, just make sure to add whatever its title is at the top in lowercase and to start the title with the word 'reaction'. Also make sure to add the [OBJECT:REACTION] line beneath the title.

Terry von Feledae

• Bay Watcher
  • It's Mechadwarf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 07, 2008, 09:28:16 am »

Right, so I recently got the idea to build a fortress entirely out of steel - walls and floors included. I'm unsure how I got the idea or why do it at all, but I guess I just like the concept. So anyway, the problem is that since the probability of stumbling upon enough of the materials required to do so is stupidly low, so I'll need to cheat a little at this point. So my question is: How would I give myself an infinite or at least unnaturally large supply of steel bars?

caas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 07, 2008, 11:18:08 am »

Right, so I recently got the idea to build a fortress entirely out of steel - walls and floors included. I'm unsure how I got the idea or why do it at all, but I guess I just like the concept. So anyway, the problem is that since the probability of stumbling upon enough of the materials required to do so is stupidly low, so I'll need to cheat a little at this point. So my question is: How would I give myself an infinite or at least unnaturally large supply of steel bars?

Well the easiest way would be to add a smelter reaction (or edit the current steel one in reaction_standard.txt)
just add these lines:

[REACTION:MagicSteel]
[NAME:make steel bars]
[SMELTER]
[PRODUCT:100:50:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]
[FUEL]

I guess you have to regen a world for it to take affect, note that the above reaction gives you 50 steel bars per usage.
you can change it if you want.

Thx to all the other modders!

roguester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 08, 2008, 02:54:53 pm »

1. Is it possible to make weapons that can be made out of wood at a carpentry or bowyer shop?

2. If not, can you make wood weapons at a smelter?

3. If yes, does this necessarily require the furnace operator skill?

4. Is it possible to restrict a weapon to be only made from wood?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 08, 2008, 03:45:52 pm »

1. Yes (bowyer only).  You have add the RANGED tag first though, see crossbows for an example.  You can add this to swords or whatever temporarily and remove the tag when you're done making them.

2. Yes.  [PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:SPEAR:WOOD:LARCH] or whatever.  However, I don't think you can force the wood type to be the same as the reagent log type -- you have to hardcode it to be a specific wood like larch.

3. Yes

4. Not directly, although if they can only be created at a smelter then yes

roguester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 09, 2008, 10:55:46 am »

Hmmm... can anyone tell me what is wrong with this definition? The game insists it's a digging tool.
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_GREATSTAFF]
[NAME:greatstaff:greatstaves]
[DAMAGE:90:BLUDGEON]
[WEIGHT:90]
[SKILL:MACE]
[TWO_HANDED:8]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:8]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 09, 2008, 12:55:19 pm »

Insists how?  Miners picking it up?

roguester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 09, 2008, 01:16:24 pm »

The embark screen lists it under digging implements, rather than under weapons and sometimes defaults to "copper greatstaves" in the purchase panel.

Also, the version I showed here has all the fancy bits stripped away, I originally had the ranged tag on there because I wanted it made from wood for a non-metal using civ. However it refused to show up in the bowyer, and in trying to find the problem I discovered that it is being listed as a digging implement.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 09, 2008, 01:53:17 pm »

Maybe it has something to do with the high minimum size?  I think that's too big for dwarves to use.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19