Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19

Author Topic: Modding questions thread.  (Read 20009 times)

Vlcice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding questions thread.
« Reply #240 on: January 22, 2009, 12:59:55 am »

everyone playing a mod seems to run into this eventually.
THose weapons are of a size that you have to use two hands.
Set their Soldier Settings to ''two''. it tells them it's ok to use two hands. so they do. all is well with the world (except the cats complaining they have no hands.)

I was worried it was something simple like that! Thanks. I feel a little silly now.

They still won't use pikes, but it looks like those are set to use a PIKE skill which isn't in the military settings. I may mod that to SPEAR so sergals can wield them. The original modder must have only tried in adventurer mode.

i2amroy, thanks - I'll give that a try, too.

Taking a look at the tokens, am I right in assuming that it's not possible to add new materials for items? I was looking at adding ceramic armours, but I'm not sure that's feasible. I'll use bone and shell instead.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 22, 2009, 07:50:03 am »

Taking a look at the tokens, am I right in assuming that it's not possible to add new materials for items? I was looking at adding ceramic armours, but I'm not sure that's feasible. I'll use bone and shell instead.

It depends on what you mean by "new". You can create your own "metal" that you set to be produced by whatever odd reaction you want at the smelter. Then this can be set to be used as a material for weapons, bows, armor, anvils, and crafts, each separately. (I'm not sure, but making it a "wafer" metal - which is a lot harder - may also allow it to be used for mechanisms). Stone can also be created which is "sharp". which allows it to be used to make swords. Since none of these have to be found 'naturally', and you can decide the reaction to create them, it simulates a unique material.

Currently I play a mod with
Glass Bars (not for weapons or armor, just barrels and bins and all that good stuff)
two different kinds of rubber (one a derivative of the other which is from rubber logs)
''heat-treated'' ironwood ''stone'' for stone spears and swords
and "layered silk" I snagged from somehwere - a high-level armor "metal". (I nerfed that one a bit since it was made to let recruits withstand megabeasts, as far as I can tell)
I haven't found any 'ceramic' metals, but I'm sure it's out there in a mod somewhere.

I also just recalled that you can also create bones and shells of fantastical creatures (and leather, I suppose), which are 'fantastical', and therefore not actually running about. Don't know if that one's useful other than 'mining for fossils' so you can get shells and bones without turtles and such.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Vlcice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 22, 2009, 11:16:22 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried making a ceramic "metal," but I've run into an issue. When I tried putting in my new reactions, they're not appearing on the smelter.

Is it possible to use bones at the smelter? If it is, I think I may have the tokens wrong. I first thought it might be a worldgen issue, but placing my raws in a fresh install had the same issues.

I decided to try making bone ceramic via a two step process. The first involves a pile of bones and the smelter, with the reaction

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's meant to produce the following "metal" bone ash:

To make sure I didn't make a mistake here too, these are the reactions that follow. Bone ash is combined with kaolinite like so:

To produce the following:

Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 22, 2009, 11:21:53 pm »

Did you create a new world?  New reactions won't show up unless you do.

There is a slight workaround for this -- you can change existing reactions to have the reagents/products of your choosing, without having to create a new world.

Vlcice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 22, 2009, 11:26:01 pm »

Yes, I tried dropping my raws into a fresh copy of Dwarf Fortress without a world generated yet and generated a world after that. It's helpful to know for sure that I'll need to make a new world to get them to show up when I try anything else.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 22, 2009, 11:30:29 pm »

Oh... hmm, I *think* the raw scanner thinger is case sensitive.  Try changing the "name" tags in the reaction to uppercase, like this:

[NAME:make bone ash from bone]

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 22, 2009, 11:41:49 pm »

your first reaction there has the reagent bones listed funny. I think it goes like this:
Code: [Select]
[REAGENT:1:BONES:NO_SUBTYPE:BONE:ANY]note the BONES and BONE respectively

Try something like this, mebbe? I cribbed this from an oft-used ''make fused bone blocks'' reaction someone made up. (Sean Mirrsten`s MinMod, I think)

Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

jasonxfri13th

• Bay Watcher
  • He is Jesus and Raptor combined!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 23, 2009, 12:40:33 am »

Any one have any Orc graphics? Or even just some other civilization other than the normal ones?

Vlcice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 23, 2009, 12:51:14 am »

It was a combination of both. Thanks! The name: mistake kept it from recognizing it at all, and without the reagent fix they would simply make bone ash out of nothing more than charcoal.

I haven't been able to get kaolinite to test the final reaction but I don't see why it won't work now. The forge is recognizing bone ceramic as a valid material.

Edit: I got some kaolinite, and bone ceramic is working fine now. I can make armour out of it without a problem. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 01:41:38 am by Vlcice »

Vlcice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 23, 2009, 03:06:01 pm »

Any one have any Orc graphics? Or even just some other civilization other than the normal ones?

I don't really follow tilesets much, but Kobold Camp includes a set of cutebold tiles you can see here.

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 22, 2010, 06:25:41 am »

Ok sorry for off topic here, but I'm searching the forum and cannot find the thing I need. So my question is: Can you somehow add other items (example: Adamant Swords and Armor or at least raw Adamantium) to the "New" list in embark preparation? I wanna make a quick fort just for equipment for adventurer without spending there to much time to produce it. So can I mod it in somehow? Thx for help.
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 22, 2010, 07:43:43 am »

You can make other stones to also contain spoiler metal. You can also alternatively, make reactions for your adventurer to spawn equipments out of no where so you dont need to set up a fortress prior for every adventurers.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 22, 2010, 08:43:57 am »

Thx Rephikul. I went for adding reactions, but I'm a total noob. I don't know what I'm doing. So 2 hours passed by and I still got nothing. Could You show me some example of how a summoning reaction should look like?

I come up with this so far:

REACTION:SUMMON_SWORD_2H_ADAMANT_ADV]
   [NAME:A gift from Armok]
   [ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
   [PRODUCT:75:1:WEAPON::ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_2H:INORGANIC:ADAMANT:A:NONE]
   [SKILL:???

But it's mostly copy/paste from other raws and I don't know what skill to use. I've already added it to the game but oddly enough it wants a bowstring (?) to make it ;/
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 22, 2010, 09:29:13 am »

[REACTION:SUMMON_SWORD]
   [NAME:summon an adamantine sword]
   [ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_SHORT:INORGANIC:ADAMANTINE]
   [SKILL:FORGE_WEAPON]

Skill is not needed altho repeatedly invoking this "spell" will increase used skills and spawn masterwork gears eventually. The product format is [PRODUCT:<Success chance>:<amount>:<TYPE>:<item ID>:<Base material>:<material>] You can find the item id for the object you want in raw\objects\item_* files. However note that adventurer-made armors are only of large size.

You can find more info about reaction on the wiki
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 22, 2010, 05:16:49 pm »

Is it possibly to mod elves, humans and goblins to make them automatically siege my fortress without the need to piss them off first (except for goblins of course, who are always hostile)?

Also, I've read that sieges only start happening when the fortress has reached a certain population number. How can I make sieges happen regardless of population number? I want to wage war against all vanilla DF-races.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19