Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Author Topic: Modding questions thread.  (Read 20015 times)

Kilowatt

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
Re: Modding questions thread.
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »

Heh. I think I am finally figuring this out...
So, Templates can have parts which have (most of the time) more that one appendage or whatever. Rigght?

Melloth

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf. The other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 03:24:00 pm »

Ooh! nifty thread! I have some questions too after my first attempt in modding resulted in just gazing with vacant eyes at the various files and the wiki. I hope noone minds I squeeze them in here.

(1) I've read some people got rid of the clothes off goblins, how do they do that? do you have to remove the [clothing] tag and that's all?
(1b) I want to buff the by now poor naked goblins a little, does fat affect the toughness? how do you make them wear better armor than iron? I guess I could increase them in size, but 10 ft goblins... I dunno..
(2) On my old computer at my parents' I prefer to create pocket worlds, but sometimes I end up without elves or goblins or humans in an otherwise GREAT pocket world. Some say no elves is great, but is there a way to make the world gen force the critters into the pocket world?
(3) Is there also a way to squeeze in more goblin towers into a world? or.. will having more evil civs make more evil locations? If so, Has anyone made a sophisticated firebreating wizard civilization yet? I'm definitally going to find that mod with the zillion kinds elves if that's the case.. I'm pretty certain there was one.. I think. There IS a Zillion elves-mod, right?

Is that the rush of water I'm hearing?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 05:46:00 pm »

(1) Clothing is not the thing you need.
There're CLOTHING and SUBTERRANEAN_CLOTHING and they accordingly spawn creatures in cloth and silk items. You may place one of them or two so you'll have variety of things or just made from usual cloth or just made from silk.
I don't know what will be if you remove it completely...

But the easiest way is to remove clothing items directly from the goblin entity.

Open the file "entity_default.txt". You'll see a lot of [WEAPON:***], [ARMOR:***], [PANTS:***] etc. Remove the things you don't want (i.e [PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:COMMON] and [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SOCKS:COMMON] etc. Leave them some armor (platemail, greaves, helm) for some challenge and free iron after ambushes for you if you want.

(1b) FAT just determines how much fat can be extracted from creature. There's no settable parameter as "toughness" but their size affects their defence/damage a lot. Also there's a DAMBLOCK token (look at dwarves, they have it = 1, I think because of body hair) and it resembles natural armor (like hard skin/scales).
Plus you may give them [STOUT] token thus they'll be much less likely to be knocked down.
To reduce insta-deaths you may want to tweak body to be better (i.e. I made 3-parts upperbody: chest, right torso side and left torso side, so there's no chance to hit 2lungs+heart with 1 little dart).

(2) Entity placement is totally random.
(3) You may adjust the total goblin civ. size though. Look at the same entity_default.txt file. You'll see at the end of each entity tokena like MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER - it shows how many different civs of this race are spawned in the 0 year, also there's MAX_POP_NUMBER and MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER.
MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER - allows you to set how many creatures can live in single town (max limit).
MAX_POP_NUMBER - sets maximum population for the whole world.
You may adjust these values to be relatively bigger to make sure there'll be more goblins generated.
Also note that the creatures sometimes may settle in 1 town so if you have MAX_POP_NUMBER 100000 and MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER 100000 there's a chance that they'll live all in single town so make the 2nd parameter lower.
It's easy to make wizard race, I think Sean did it in MA mod and I have White Wizards and Dark Sorcerers in my middle earth mod.
What's with Zillion elves? I didn't try it.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Melloth

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf. The other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 08:36:00 am »

quote:
What's with Zillion elves? I didn't try it.

I just recalled a thread about different kinds of elves, so I figured there was a mod with alot of elves. I always thought 'zillion' meant alot, as in million, trillion...... ZILLION! Elves elves everywhere! Elves elves in my hair! Their teeth, their ears, their frightful stare! All these elves give me a scare!
So... anyways...

Thank you for the answers! Soon after I had previously posted, a goblin mod appeared. Lucky!
Here is another question:
Now, I want the terrifying goblins to wear specific metal armor. I have installed a mod with KERASTEEL. Is that done by adding [METAL_PREF:KERASTEEL] into the entiry_default text?

Is that the rush of water I'm hearing?

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 09:28:00 am »

My question regards reactions.
If I want to have a reaction involving a gem, would
code:
[REAGENT:1:GEM:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:BONE OPAL]

be correct?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 09:36:00 am »

@Melloth: Kerasteel (actualy its ID is BULAT, if you refer to my minerals mod) is DEEP, so as to not be available at embark. Which means you cannot make an entity use it. And no, METAL_PREF does not take a parameter, it simply allows a civ to use all non-DEEP metals. Simply using METAL_PREF will supply the goblins with Patterned Steel in my mod.

@Inquisitor Saturn: Yes, that would be correct if you are aiming for a cut gem. For a rough gem, you use either ROUGH or STONE (I think either work... or not) as the item class (first parameter).

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Grendal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 10:20:00 am »

Hello, I have a question about goblins using animals during sieges. Is it possible to make them bring along other animals besides beakdogs and trolls? I looked on the wiki and the only thing I have come up with is the USE_EVIL_ANIMALS tag. But the wiki says this wont affect fortress mode. Thanks for the help in advance.
Is this joy I feel?

JBWilliams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008, 10:23:00 am »

Are there any utilities/cheats that will make a creature of my choice pregnant?

I have a tamed female cave crocodile, but there's no male on the map.  I'd really like to breed them for my moat.

Alternatively, is it possible to mod the creature raws to increase the number of cave crocodiles that appear in an underground lake?  I've never seen more than one.

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 12:28:00 pm »

I'm on a map with no sand, And I'd really like to add some glass to things, is there any way to mod things to make it so theres an option in the mason shop to turn stone and a bag into a bag of sand?  Or just the sand I guess?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 02:10:00 pm »

You can't get the stone as reagent. You can get rough glass gem though.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 02:15:00 pm »

If you have a non sand soil type like loam or clay on your map you can go into the  matgloss_stone_soil.txt and add [SOIL_SAND] to your local soil type and you'll be able to use it as sand.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 08:24:00 pm »

Disregard

[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: umiman ]

sillybear25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 08:54:00 pm »

I have a question. I was trying to make a mod that allows other substances used as fertilizer (like saltpeter, for instance) to be turned into potash (simply for realism purposes, as well as the experience, since I'm new to modding. I would probably never use it anyway...). However, I'm not really sure how to specify potash as a product. Is it even possible?

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2008, 10:12:00 am »

I also have a question: If I add to the entity file for dwarfs some weapons and armors that they can't normally make and wear (like 2h sword, mask...) does it make it possible for them to make them? and do new dwarfs and immigrants somehow sometimes appear wearing them or carrying them arround withought being able to wear them??? and do dwarf merchants start selling these items?
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2008, 11:35:00 am »

Where did you see a dwarf merchant? If you mean caravan trader, then yes.
They won't wear it until you tweak the weapons to fit a dwarf.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19