Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark anywhere?  (Read 1579 times)

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embark anywhere?
« on: May 08, 2008, 10:20:00 pm »

What've I gotta do to let me embark anywhere I want to?
t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Embark anywhere?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 10:23:00 pm »

Get a hexedit tool.

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 10:25:00 pm »

More specifically. Don't just tell someone to get some hex editor without telling them exactly what needs to be changed where and what the side-effects are.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:29:00 pm »

Add a few zeros into the code and see what you come up with.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 10:30:00 pm »

I'm not that stupid.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 10:30:00 pm »

You need to change a file in the DF main folder.  The consequences can result in file corruption, garbled code, and death.

To be perfectly, honest, I don't know.  There was one guy a long time ago who managed to do it, but that was it.  I haven't hacked a single file that wasn't inside the raws folder.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 10:53:00 pm »

Just add the zeros, maybe you'll luck out!

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 02:51:00 am »

Adding zeros isn't likely to ADD anything to the game; add hex nulls will just space it out, and probably break something. If, however, you changed the values in there to zeros, you might get unexpected results. Like the graphics screwing up for example.

Personally, I would try to disassemble it with W32DASM and then continue from there. There might be a bit of code somewhere restricting the sites choosable.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 07:06:00 am »

If you want to embark on a mountain tile you have to edit the the worldfile or the Memory i think.

The worldfile is as far as i remember ziped with Zlib. Rick(?) has done some research on the Worldfiles long time ago and his Results are found (Partly) here.

The faster but more dangerous way is to change the Memory while Df is running. Maybe the Guy who had programmed the prospector (0x517A5D ?) can give you a hint which parts have to be changed.

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 03:55:00 am »

What about searching for 1 when you can embark and 0 when you can't (i know 1 and 0 are very common) till you find only 1 variable and lock it? (cheat-o-matic way)   ;)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 07:00:00 am »

LOL?
0 and 1? In exe file? Man, you must be joking. It's not artmoney.
There're a few billions of "1", and I can tell the same about zeros.
I didn't reply here because I don't know what to do (though I use hex editor; 2nd post was the most stupid post in the world - no offence, Kagus, but it is so). So don't offer anything if you don't know how-to, because it results in false beliefs and fairy-tales, which stop real things.

[ May 11, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 01:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Deon:
<STRONG>LOL?
0 and 1? In exe file? Man, you must be joking. It's not artmoney.
There're a few billions of "1", and I can tell the same about zeros.</STRONG>
It's more than just looking for instances of the numbers. Say you set your embark rectangle to the middle of an ocean. You do a scan for 0s in DF's memory. You find 212351 instances. Now you move the embark rectangle around a bit while keeping it in the ocean, and check each of those 212351 instances to see which ones are still 0. Now there's only 65692 0s. Now you move the embark rectangle to the middle of a mountain range, and check those 65692 instances, and find that there's only 3294 0s left.

Probably one of those is the boolean controlling whether or not you can embark to your currently selected rectangle (assuming of course that that's encoded as a boolean, as opposed to just being evaluated every time from other variables or methods). Set it to 1, and you should be able to embark...no guarantees that nothing else'd break, of course.

This kind of memory search and elimination is a classic way to cheat in games. A common version would be to pause the game, search for your score, unpause and score some points, search for your new score, etc. until you've found the variable that contains your score; then you set it to something different. You can do the same thing with lives, money, and pretty much anything else that's stored as a number.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels