Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Theoretical Wood Proccessing Mod  (Read 2451 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Theoretical Wood Proccessing Mod
« on: May 27, 2008, 02:07:00 am »

Ok, here's the idea; you make three or four kinds of trees only in the world. Then, create a smelter reaction that turns "logs" of each kind into several "planks" of the same kind. These planks are just logs for a kind of tree that doesn't show up anywhere, so walah, you get maybe 4 sets of planks for each tree!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical Wood Proccessing Mod
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 02:12:00 am »

Yeah, that's possible.  You can also make one "wood plank" tree, but then you would lose the specific weights of certain trees like the feather tree.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 02:17:00 am »

And the point of it all would be...?

It just seems like a mod for the sole purpose of making the gameplay easier. It doesn't really add anything.

Hmmm....a Trees Mod. I've already had to add Eucalyptus to my current mod, I wonder how many more trees need to go in? Bah, I'm just looking for excuses not to finish off my Herbs and Spices Mod.

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 02:20:00 am »

Well, we can currently make one barrel per tree, and each tree takes three years to grow IF it survives that long.  This is a way of making each tree last just that little bit longer as far as usefulness is concerned.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 08:40:00 am »

If you don't mind the "oaken plank log" and "oaken plank piccolo" thing then it'll work.

P.S. You can remove "plank" from adj. so it'll be "oaken piccolo", but this way you won't be able to differentiate an "oaken piccolo" from "oaken log" and an "oaken piccolo" from "oaken plank log".

[ May 27, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 10:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG??:
Ok, here's the idea; you make three or four kinds of trees only in the world. Then, create a smelter reaction that turns "logs" of each kind into several "planks" of the same kind. These planks are just logs for a kind of tree that doesn't show up anywhere, so voila, you get maybe 4 sets of planks for each tree!

fixed

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 11:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Well, we can currently make one barrel per tree, and each tree takes three years to grow IF it survives that long.  This is a way of making each tree last just that little bit longer as far as usefulness is concerned.</STRONG>

Holy shit it takes three years to grow trees!?

Fuck that, I'm cheating.

Is there a way to make trees grow faster (say 1 or two years) or perhaps make them bear more wood?

I checked the raws, and the only possible tag that could help is [SAPLING]. What does this do?

The wiki has no info on what this tag does.

I would prefer to keep the cheating "realistic" so that I'm not just making logs at a smelter from nothing, so any advice what-so-ever would be greatly appreciated as to any way of increasing log production via "realistic" means.

Thanks.

[ May 28, 2008: Message edited by: Slappy Moose ]

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 12:31:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>And the point of it all would be...?

It just seems like a mod for the sole purpose of making the gameplay easier. It doesn't really add anything.

Hmmm....a Trees Mod. I've already had to add Eucalyptus to my current mod, I wonder how many more trees need to go in? Bah, I'm just looking for excuses not to finish off my Herbs and Spices Mod.</STRONG>

I know what you mean, and I should have explained: This would be a kind of stop-gap wood processing until more advanced lumber management gets implemented officaly. It would make the gameplay easier, but I think it would also make more sense if you got more than one ring out of a full-grown oak tree.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 12:44:00 am »

Fair enough. But to be honest I kind of like the idea of Dwarves being horribly inefficient when it comes to carpentry. It's just not their thing - they'd rather carve a redwood down into a single bed than bother to learn proper lumber management.

It explains why the Elves don't like them.

Elf: "Ah, a fine toothpick you have there Dwarf!"
Dwarf: "Thanks! Carved it from an entire thousand year-old Cedar!"
*spits toothpick out*
Elf: ".....!"

*ambushes ensue*

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 11:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>...I kind of like the idea of Dwarves being horribly inefficient when it comes to carpentry. It's just not their thing...</STRONG>

Motion Accepted! Mod Abstained in Traditional DF.

But in Human Town mode, I think I'll still have to use it, if only for structures.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 11:25:00 am »

Damn, we really need more tags for reactions. (especially considering ALL existing tasks are essentially reactions) We could make a task "make wooden planks" for the carpenter shop and be done with it. The smelter "just doesn't cut it".

Also, there's a [FREQUENCY] tag for wood.

[ May 28, 2008: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 11:32:00 am »

Essentialy, "blocks" are more of a general term- It would make more sense if they where called "Stone blocks", "Metal Beams", and "Wood Planks". They're essentialy prefabricated building units, so it makes sense that they make a better-looking structure. I guess that you should either get more units of blocks for each log or stone, or have each unit of blocks build more wall segments.

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 11:38:00 am »

why bother with smelter reasctions, when enormous underground tree farming holds way more prestige.

just get 10 z-levels of 100x100 tiles with mudded and stone-cleared underground halls, then you get more trees than a 6x6 heavily forested region!

although it would take 200 haulers 10 years to haul all that stone ^^

een failing lately?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 11:42:00 am »

This is easy to solve in my mind actually.
You can make wood "BLOCKS" already, just change the word to planks lol, and there you go
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 12:08:00 pm »

Already been discussed, and, alas, impossible. "Blocks" is just one word in the exe, one word for all types of materials. So you change the word to "planks", you get stone planks and metal planks along with wooden planks.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: [1] 2