Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Allowing created walls to be engraved  (Read 1611 times)

Anonemoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Allowing created walls to be engraved
« on: May 25, 2008, 09:54:00 pm »

Is it at all possible for a created wall to be engraved? If I recall correctly, they can be smoothed (Even when created without blocks), but why not engraved? Would make my nobles rooms in my tower of obsidian so much easier to raise in quality...

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
Re: Allowing created walls to be engraved
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 10:18:00 pm »

I don't think they can be smoothed. If you make a wall with blocks, it will be already smoothed, otherwise, I think it has to stay normal.
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 03:19:00 pm »

Yup. Can't be smoothed, but can be _built smooth_ by using blocks instead of rough stones.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 11:43:00 am »

Even if built smooth because blocks are used, I have never been able to engrave my built walls...

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 12:50:00 pm »

The tile edit utility can make a constructed wall engraveable. There's more info on it in the wiki.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 03:38:28 pm »

I'm just wondering why we can't engrave constructed walls in the first place. :x
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 03:50:48 pm »

It probably looks strange you can deconstruct engraved walls and get a normal stone. If you build with it again, you can engrave it again.

The real request here is engraved stone bricks (or tablets) you can build things from.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 05:14:47 pm »

You can carve fortifications out of constructed walls, same basic idea as engraving except only fortifications are allowed.

Such a thing is hardcoded however. The only way to get around it is to be very creative with magma to produce obsidian walls and floors to engrave.

Nukeitall

• Bay Watcher
  • HURR DURRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 08:34:28 pm »

Most likely we'll see it in future version...s. But like others said, we will have to settle for building on engraved walls.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 02:56:36 am »

Well, the main reason I guess is because the usual constructed wall is just a heap of boulders, you can't engrave on that.

However I'd like to be able to engrave the wall constructed from blocks...
But accept it like a feature. If the wall is constructed from blocks it is not smooth (it's just called "*** wall" like "granite wall" without "smooth").

Fortifications are fine here, they are just holes in the wall, while there's not enough of good smooth surface to make nice engravings.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »

Well, the main reason I guess is because the usual constructed wall is just a heap of boulders, you can't engrave on that.

However I'd like to be able to engrave the wall constructed from blocks...
But accept it like a feature. If the wall is constructed from blocks it is not smooth (it's just called "*** wall" like "granite wall" without "smooth").

Fortifications are fine here, they are just holes in the wall, while there's not enough of good smooth surface to make nice engravings.

There are plenty of structures constructed out of rock yet also engraved, such as the Egyptian obelisks.  ;)

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 03:13:26 pm »

I've always pictured rough walls being giant slabs of rock cut away so that it has the basic shape of a wall.

Anonemoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 03:33:51 pm »

Why is this thread still here? Let it die a peaceful death, would ya?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 08:32:31 pm »

♫They are a dying people. We should let them pass.♫

s/people/thread/
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive