Poll

How do you use this mod?

This is how I play Dwarf Fortress!
I use pieces of it
I use it for modding examples
I don't, I was just curious
Other

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 31

Author Topic: Civilization Forge Mod  (Read 79922 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization Forge Mod
« Reply #300 on: August 13, 2009, 11:45:35 am »

Royal Bronze makes weapons just a bit worse then iron and armor just a bit better then bronze while being lighter then either. Generally, I'd say it's worth it if you have a small supply of mithril from trading but plenty of tin and copper and can't make steel. It's a good way to stretch out your mithril supplies, but other then that it's usually just used for mandates or as an expensive metal for trade goods.

Bright Silver is similar, except that it's just slightly better then iron for weapons and slightly better then bronze for armor, and is also lighter then either. Generally a good option on maps where you've got plenty of truesilver but no decent source of iron and no flux to make steel.

Hmm...I could probably make up a matrix that shows the general rankings for everything, though. I'll do that and put it in the OP. Should help people out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

DgnBiscuit

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been nauseated by the sun lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 13, 2009, 03:28:39 pm »

[quote author=Mephansteras link=topic=18746.msg704751#msg704751 date=1250181935
Hmm...I could probably make up a matrix that shows the general rankings for everything, though. I'll do that and put it in the OP. Should help people out.
[/quote]

That'd be cool. I have a hard time keeping what everything is good for straight.....

-D.B.
Urist McKitten has been ecstatic lately. Urist McKitten can has cheezburger lately.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 13, 2009, 03:35:19 pm »

Matrix has now been added to the OP.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 13, 2009, 11:23:34 pm »

Ah. That helps a lot.

Just out of curiosity, did you decide not to to provide an ore reaction for bright silver (like billon for tetrahedrite) or did you just not think of it?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 13, 2009, 11:49:19 pm »

I have an idea for a new race.

And underwater race that drowns in air.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 14, 2009, 02:17:11 am »

just applied this mod to see what its about. I like one handed hatchets! but my miner cant keep a grip on his copper mattock - he keeps dropping it at the completion of a small section of mining, then goes nuts trying to pick it up again. he flashes the question mark as if to say, "what the heck!" as he dances over the mattock unsuccessfully. how can i get him to hang on to it consistently?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 14, 2009, 04:26:15 am »

@Lord Shonus: Actually, I ran out of available reactions to use at the smelter. You only get so many, and I had more stuff I wanted to do so ore reactions for the various new alloys had to go. Hopefully Toady will fix that in the new version.

@abculatter_2: Interesting idea, but until Toady gets water pathfinding in it wouldn't really do much. They'd freak out in Fortress mode and be generally useless in Adventure mode (people have tried before).

@gordy: Ah, yes, the equipment dance. You need to set them to use two weapons in their soldier profile for them to use Mattocks, War Axes, and Long Swords without having that problem.
Come play Mafia with us!

xaque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 14, 2009, 11:49:04 pm »

Just wanted to add my support for this mod, I can't imagine playing DF without it now. I was wondering, do you have any more backstory about the Silver Xelics? They're my favorite race to play in adventure mode, and I like roleplaying my characters. It would be a little easier if I knew more about the race I was playing as.  :)

Also just wanted to point out a couple minor things I noticed. Some of the stones (Lepidolite and Muscovite at least) have capitalized names in the raws, which makes them capitalized in DF even when they shouldn't be. It's really minor, but it sticks out in lists of building materials and stuff. Another thing is aboveground crops. I think there's a bug of some type in DF where aboveground crops mysteriously vanish at the end of each season. Early on, when you don't have many seeds, this can hamstring your farm industry. A solution I found was to make sure each crop has at least two consecutive growing seasons (i.e. [SPRING][SUMMER] instead of just [SPRING]). That way, the plant can be grown in the spring and harvested in the summer.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 15, 2009, 10:37:13 am »

Hmm...well, the Silver Xelics are a race of peaceful mystics, for the most part. They live in harmony with the world, taking only what they need to survive if they can, and always careful to maintain the natural balance in the areas they live. They're much less stuck up then the elves, for the most part, seeing other races ways as simply playing their own part in the natural world.

Hmm...thought I fixed all those. I'll have to go back and check again.

Didn't know about the bug with the plants. I haven't noticed any issue with that before, but I also tend not to do much aboveground planting until later in my fort cycle, so it may be that I just don't notice the lack of certain plants. I'll have to do some tests with it. Thanks!
Come play Mafia with us!

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 23, 2009, 08:19:19 am »

I have a problem,
I am (kinda) a graphics freak and am using the mayday tile-set, my problem is that the civi-tiles (for the new civs) show up faulty
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(as shown in the picture) but the creatures/monsters/wild-life show up the way they should,
does anyone else have this problem?
can anyone help me?

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 23, 2009, 03:00:20 pm »

There's no set graphics for it so I can only imagine mayday gets confused and turns it into a random graphic. Also-emerald wasps can push my dwarves up a z-level!
Hello Hunam

Saeldanya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 23, 2009, 04:28:29 pm »

bluephoenix, I had the same issue, but strangely not with all new civs. High elves showed up fine, but zephyr and xelics didn't. I also had issues with other creatures (such as war beetles) at first, they were just black squares... then did something random I don't remember, and that fixed the non-civ creatures. Very strange. And no idea what the problem might be.

PsychoBuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 23, 2009, 05:36:07 pm »

OK, this is embarrassing. It didn't work before I changed to maydays settings but now I'm having similar problems again. I tinkered with the int file but found no improvement and I'm stumped.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 23, 2009, 05:43:28 pm »

I think the issue is with Mayday.  Mayday (or at least the pre-packed Mayday) actually has some slight changes to the raws, something to make it possible to give different vermin individual pictures.  Maybe that somehow conflicts with CivForge?  Try installing the vanilla graphics manually, see if that works better.

For what its worth I had similar artifacts with the graphics (less static, more purple), but only for the hobgoblins--everyone else was fine.  So maybe its some sort of subtle file corruption and you could try redownloading?

PsychoBuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 23, 2009, 06:11:47 pm »

I tried new image after new image even on a vanilla game but the results are the same.

EDIT:Solved my own question and problem.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 05:06:08 pm by Undeadstag »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 31